Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
All my boards have warped after 2 days. Is this commonplace? Are there different print runs that this affects or something? Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My boards always tend to warp a bit after I first open the game then straighten out. Maybe give them a week or so and see if it's still a problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heliconia wrote:
All my boards have warped after 2 days. Is this commonplace? Are there different print runs that this affects or something? Thanks in advance

Which printing of the game do you have, the original darker boards or the 2nd printing lighter ones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
2nd ed, just bought it. The 4 corner boards are pretty bent up and that's less than 48 hours after opening the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the first printing, but recently got the lighter replacement boards, so I'll take a look at them when I get home. They haven't been put in a game box yet, so have had plenty of time exposed to air.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the second printing also, and have felt that the boards both dinged easily and were slighty warped. Not making a big deal out of it, but it was something that I posted a question about here (how to protect them). There wasn't a definitive answer... and having a second copy of the game is not really an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the moment I am not worried about dinging (as of yet) but just the ever increasing curling of the corner boards, even the town center is bulging now too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer S.
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How are you packing it when putting it away? I haven't had this problem myself, and I have everything (inc GH and all small expansions) all packed into one box.

Can you post pictures?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al spazz
msg tools
How is this caused?

Over dryness in the air?

How do you protect against it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how it's caused, I wish I did. I heard tales about humidity in the air etc, but now sign of that here in snowy frigid PA. I will take some pics tomorrow and post them.
Is it something to do with the glossy finish on the boards and cards, because the cards are warping too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Harris
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I posted this a while back and Jason didn't seem to want to do anything about it. Mine is the first print run of boards. All of my boards AND scenerio/character cards have warped. We all loved the game but I would like to have replacement boards for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far the character and scenario boards are the only thing that have not warped, but they are pretty thick. Obviously it's only cosmetic but still...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Daley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in Utah and run an evaporative (swamp) cooler all summer and have had no problems with the warping of boards. The character and scenario boards have warped a little, but that was when I first got the game. I've had it more than a year now and they don't seem to be warped any more.

It may be the way you're storing your stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. I know its not the way it's being stored because the boards started warping on the first day out of the box. Since then they lay flat in the box just like almost everyone else's copy (and the box lies flat on the shelf).
I will upload pics later if I can, but I guess the idea of this thread was to see if this is a common problem with this game, peculiar just to me, or if there is a simple solution. The town center board I can counter-bend if I have to, but I am a little nervous about counter-bending the L shaped boards as I would be afraid that they would crease in the middle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al spazz
msg tools
Interesting - I live in Finland at the moment and everything warps here. Books, my guitars...Houses are very dry due to the sub-zero temps in the winter...over heated in my opinion.

Let's see - I ordered my board and should be here on Thursday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So you think it's the lack of moisture and not too much? Interesting, as it has been very cold here over the last two weeks the heating has been on a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer S.
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually dry would make sense. Wood does the same thing, warps as it dries.

I played my copy the other night after reading your topic. My boards aren't perfectly flat against the table, but I wouldn't call them warped. I say this because most any game I pull out that has a paper based board doesn't actually lie flat everywhere. Most of them are larger boards, but their edges still have a gentle lift to them.

Until you post the pictures I guess it is hard to say if your boards are seeing normal curl, or severe warp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al spazz
msg tools
Heliconia wrote:
So you think it's the lack of moisture and not too much? Interesting, as it has been very cold here over the last two weeks the heating has been on a lot.

Possibly - I'm no expert. My books are all twisted and bent and the spines are destroyed - I believed that was cos of the incredible dryness here.
I checked with a few other folk and they said it's the dryness...lots of radiators, full blast 24/7 creates very dry air...with a few months of subzero weather you need that though. But seems not good for a lot of stuff. I play guitar and the necks suffer but I heard they do in very damp conditions too.

As I said - I'm no expert so if anyone knows better feel free to (politely) correct me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.