Subject: Handicapped start rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Three handicapped varients to try when playing with new players:

1. New Player gets 7 cards / discards to 5
Very straightforward and works out pretty well. It makes it possible for the new player to settle a 3-cost world on the first turn easily and even potentially a 6-cost Alien world devil. Overall the benefit isn't that much and an average player will still have an advantage over beginners.

2. New Player gets 8 or 9 cards / discards to 4
This isn't as helpful as it seems since a new player may have a hard time distinguishing 'good' cards from cash and if they end up with 4 great cards they will need to get more cards in order to play them - possibly leading to 2-3 initial turns of Explore +1/+1 which isn't a great play. The benefit, though, is that the player will be much more likely to have cards that work well together and will be able to better develop a starting plan.

3. New player gets 2 starting worlds to choose from as part of the 6-cards/discard down to 4 step. One of the starting worlds must be discarded when discarding down to 4 cards.
I really like this one. If your cards work for military, choose New Sparta. You have a great 5-cost world, choose the Doomed world.

I also tried a couple of other start varients that I like and can work with new or advanced players.

1. Hidden start worlds
Same as normal setup but the start worlds are revealed after the players discard down to four cards. Can make things interesting as you may try to get some early military started only to find our you're up against New Sparta or plan on an early production tableau and find out you're up against the Damaged Alien Factory.

2. 7 cards, discard down to 4
This is similar to #2 for the newbies above, but when dealing the 6 cards to each player if they receive a starting world they can use it and discard their originally dealt/selected starting world. I like this option quite a bit and with the hidden start world varient it's easy to just deal a start world + 6 cards to all players without worrying what the initial start world was.

Anyone tried these and/or other simple varients of the initial card dealing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I have tried giving my opponent extra turns at the beginning of the game. It is "Race" for the Galaxy, and new players have a hard time getting a strategy together by the time an experienced player is already churning for the end of the game.

So far I have given three extra turns and been clobbered. Maybe only two is a better idea. Or maybe I should just play better. In these extra turns, I get to do nothing. I do not choose action cards or get to draw cards or build according to my opponent's actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I also tried playing only one action card per turn versus two for my opponent (2-player advanced). This resulted in me losing badly. The problem with this as a method of handicapping is that it's not very tunable. It's all or nothing, and all seems to be too much.

I tried playing my action cards openly. This didn't seem to have too much effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My usual handicap for a new player is to just give them the starting hand for their homeworld and take the standard 6 cards discard 2 for myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Once the Geek has you, there is no escape...
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mark_biggar wrote:
My usual handicap for a new player is to just give them the starting hand for their homeworld and take the standard 6 cards discard 2 for myself.

This is a good idea because one of the biggest difficulties new players have is deciding what's good and what's cash and seeing how cards potentially work together. The starting hands eliminate a lot of that struggle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with most of these solutions (except the "newbie gets start world/starting hand & I get potluck" idea) is that they involve MORE work at the start of the game when the new player has the least experience with which to make good decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NtN Scissors
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
morningstar wrote:
I tried playing my action cards openly. This didn't seem to have too much effect.

Try playing with your hand open? Haha. Or half your hand open (alternate open/closed cards, cards once open stay open). Provided your oppo are not too insulted by this, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have ended up doing a "handicapped ending" in some of my games. We "agree" (either by accident or on purpose) to extend the game for another round or two to let them get done what they set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Runyan
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think just playing Epsilon Eridani is a sufficient handycap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.