Popular Tags: ValG.CA [+] [View All]
Tim Myers
United States
Salem
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my copy of Titan today and the components are absolutely stunning. Valley Games put a lot into this release and it shows. They may not have the distribution thing for pre-orders figured out but they have made an absolutely beautiful game. I have not had a chance to read the rules or play the game but I was so impressed by the components that I wanted to do a component review.

The box which is nice and sturdy is packed to overflowing with boards, bits and counter tray such that the lid does not fit flat when you receive it.

photo by Robshort

The 13 counter sheets are in a large plastic bag when you pull them out of the box. I have read about them possibly needing to be dried a little more so I layered them between sheets of paper towel and put some weight on them. The cardboard used for the counters is nice and thick and the counters when punched are a good chunky size.

photo by Robshort

In addition there are 6 Battleland boards also made of nice thick cardboard and the 2 piece 3 fold board which is also nice and heavy. The main board which looks kind of dark in the pictures looks nice up close with references on the corners.

photo by Robshort

photo by Faerun

One of the other nice features are 20 translucent 6 sided dice. The custom dice are a nice touch to a classy and high quality reprint of a classic game.

photo by Robshort

Probably the coolest component is the custom counter tray and lid to help keep the counters stored and sorted. It is nice when a company includes something useful like this in a game.

photo by JayAdan

And not only did they include a counter tray but the inside bottom of the box has pictures of the counters and dice so you know what to put where.

photo by Robshort

I pre-ordered so I also got the Titan miniatures and I figured they would come in some generic throw away box. I knew that the game box was packed full of boards and bits so I was wondering how I would store and transport the Titan figures.

When I opened the shipping carton I was surprised to see 2 Titan boxes and thought for a minute that they sent me 2 of the games by mistake. Looking a little closer I noticed the other Titan box said "Titan Figure Expansion" and is labeled Expansion 1.

photo by MikeBwithoutadot

Each Titan's has a spot in the plastic insert inside the box. Even with this I had 1 casualty, the black Titan had broke loose from his base. Anxious to get to the battle I guess, anyway nothing a little super glue will not fix. I have seen other comments about swords that have been broken but a little glue and all is well.

photo by MikeBwithoutadot

The only 2 knocks I have about this quality reprint of Titan and the expansion are that the counters need a little more drying (airing) so they fit in the counter tray and the fragility of the Titan miniatures.

All in all I think that the Valley Games edition of Titan is absolutely stunning and something that I am glad I have in my collection.

photo by Robshort

Now I have some rules to read and an opponent to find so I can see how it plays, which based on what I have read will be an enjoyable time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Weintraub
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Lock him up!
mbmbmbmbmb
Must be tired; I read the title of this as "Competent Review". Admittedly, that'd be truth in advertising too, and something occasionally lacking.

I got mine yesterday, and yeah, it's gorgeous!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dair Grant
United States
Martinsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was lucky enough to play a friends copy of the new game a couple months ago, after she was able to buy one at GenCon. I agree the components are stunning. When I saw the reprint, I didn't plan on replacing my AH copy, but I am still torn. Due to the beauty of the new one, and the great storage, I may have to change my tune. Nice review, and enjoy the game. It has been a long favorite of mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not knowing about the counters needing time to dry, I immediately punched them all out and separated them into plastic ziploc bags. Guess I need to air them out when I get home from work ...

And, yes, the components are stunning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grimstuff wrote:
However, and this a different issue than the production, the creature artwork leaves something to be desired. This was an issue that we brought up months ago, and many comments centered on the fact that with such highly-detailed digitized renderings for the creatures, they look "muddy" and repetitive at such a small size.

I followed this discussion when it was first brought up, but had never played the game and thus didn't have much to contribute. I do see the point - several of the silhouettes are rather similar and the overall color is decidedly brown. The original art is certainly more stylized and distinctive. But I wonder to what extent this is really a problem and to what extent it's just people being so well trained to recognize the original art. I was just punching and sorting my pieces and after just a few minutes of it I was already recognizing, say, the difference between a Griffon and a Dragon without reading the text. There aren't really all that many types of monsters in the game after all. I suspect that after playing a few games, the practical difference in utility between the two versions will be near zero.

As for the drying, the printing process they used certainly is quite odd and somewhat unpleasant. I'll be giving my set some airing time and I expect the smell to dissipate soon enough. However, I don't think that has anything to do with fitting the pieces in the tray. The trays are just designed on the tight side expecting that the plastic will stretch slightly. Better to be a bit tight to start with than to end up too loose and have pieces sliding all over. The tray for Hannibal was the same way - very hard to fill at first, but fine now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Corbin
United States
Tigard / Lake O.
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Putting artwork on the BACK of the board was a bit overkill.

Gorgeous artwork, although I found myself wondering if looks had trumped playability... weren't the original creature tokens color coded by home turf? I saw a hint of coloring in the stat numbers on my new copy, but it's not clear enough to be much assistance in play.
The damage tokens are neat looking, but I have a suspicion that players are going to find them just as inconvenient as in the original and go back to using dice. Similar with the score track... righting a creature stack that's been knocked over is easy, but I don't want to think about trying to recover scoring after a brush with a low-hanging sleeve; I'll give it a try with pen and paper backup.

That being said, there's plenty of extras to convince me that the game was worth what I paid for it... now to find someone to play it with this weekend!
SRC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Nice.

Thanks for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They sure do look nice.

At the same time, the counters all look the same. One of the big advantages with the original is that each color only had 2-5 creature types to it, and each color was somewhat related. So if you saw green, you knew you were facing either Cyclops or Behemoth. Brown, Ogres or Minotaurs.

The pale background undoubtedly looks nice against the new board. But I still think they've sacrificed function for form, and it makes playing the game more of a chore. A pretty chore, but more brainwork nonetheless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Kocet
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Overall the components are great. I love the way the main board looks, especially compared to the original. Sure the form over function of the creature tokens is debatable, but they are still well done. The Card board used is nice and thick, very sturdy. All of the chits punched out very nice and clean (except for some of those blood drop chits). The plastic holder is perfect. Holds all the piece and enough space in between each type to see what type it is. Some of have said all of theirs don't fit or you have to let them dry/cure before they do. I myself didn't have this problem. A few of them I had to force in a little to make a snug fit and over time it won't bee so bad once it gets broken in.

The tokens were a little "wet" when I took them out of the package. They just felt damp to the touch. Being delivered during a snow storm didn't help either. I set them up to dry in front of a space heater and they started to curl. So you can tell they were definitely trying to make their deadline and really cracking the whip on their printer.

gamerSRC wrote:
Putting artwork on the BACK of the board was a bit overkill.

Ha, man I didn't notice this till I read that. Sure it's nice...but how often does one set up their game board upside down? Unless their are some hardcore Titan players out there that have a special table for their game they just leave sit out...or they hang it on their wall in a frame. I wonder how much time and money they could have saved if they would skipped this reverse side artwork?

The only bad thing about the reprint was the bonus pieces. Which is tough to complain about because their were a "free bonus". They plastic/resin used is slightly rough and translucent. Looks more like rock candy Plus you can tell not much finishing went into them. There are still belt sander marks on the bottom of the bases. The only reason why I even mention the poor quality was because two of my figures came broke. One had the sword broken off, the other broke off the base. I'll probably e-mail VG about it, although I'm not that upset about it. I probably wouldn't use them in game anyways(they are pretty big) plus the discount was more my bonus for pre-ordering. I'd actually prefer they send me a handful of dice as compensation, not new figures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
As for the drying, the printing process they used certainly is quite odd and somewhat unpleasant. I'll be giving my set some airing time and I expect the smell to dissipate soon enough. However, I don't think that has anything to do with fitting the pieces in the tray.

I'll have to retract this. I left the pieces loosely piled on my table last night to get some air and by this morning they were significantly smaller and easier to fit into the trays. The difference is really quite dramatic... weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
As for the drying, the printing process they used certainly is quite odd and somewhat unpleasant.

It's not the printing process that generates the moisture that creates the odor and swelling of the pieces. I just posted about this somewhere else. I'm pretty sure it happens when the game is packed in an environment with hot, moist air. Then it's sealed and shipped into a colder environment. The water vapor in the air condenses, and it doesn't have anywhere to go, so it makes the components damp, and can lead to mold growth as well.

This moisture phenomenon is an issue with many recent games printed in China. Titan is not the worst.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Deniz Bucak
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As Above, So Below
badge
My books are forgeries. Nobody wrote them. - Philip K. Dick
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always been a fan of the original artwork. But I have to admit the production quality of the new game is amazing and I'm glad I bought a copy (which I didn't really need, since I have two AH copies.) The counter tray and labels underneath look like they will eliminate the biggest hassle of playing Titan, organizing the pieces. They added tracks to keep count of points on and made the different denominations of wound markers different colors. There are now cardstock reference sheets of terrain effects, the recruiting chart, strike table, etc. And it really does look great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just a few thoughts on the reprint versus the older version.
The Box:The new box cetainly looks alot better than the older one but we need to keep in mind the technology of what it is today and what it was back then.I never had a big problem with the old box except the pink color of the box.It did make titan easy to find on the game shelf though.

The Rules:The new rule book looks alot better and could be another case of where printing technology is today versus back then.I do like the little story they put right inside the cover.I thoguht that was a nice touch.Also they seemed to have fixed the various typos that were in the rules they first posted on the geek.

The Gameboard:The newer board looks alot better than the old.And yes the picture on the back of the board did not make alot of sense and I had not even noticed it but my wife saw it and mentioned it.

The Counters:As mentioned here the counters in the older game seem easier to tell apart at a glance.If you had a counter with a black colored creature it was either a gorgon or gargoyle.Also the creatures each being slightly different in the older game by holding different weapons or standing different ways was a nice touch.The newer counters seem to look alot alike at a glance but I will have to wait and see how hard they seem to tell apart during actual battles.It may only be a problem to those with poor eyesite.Both the old and new counters have a nice thickness to them and the new counters seem slightly thicker but will have to see how they hold up after 20+ years of play.

The Battleboards:The new battleoards are nicer and having them thicker is great too.The strike chart printed on the battleboards seems a bit unecessary as even a brand new player should have that memorized by the end of the first game.The native creatures listed on each of the battleboards was a nice touch because that is something that takes longer to remember.Also they include an attacker/defender counter to use to keep track of which turn it is during battle.Probably something most will use even though I never had a problem in the old game as we always used the defenders legion marker to keep track.

Dice:The old game included 4 dice the new game includes 20 dice.Having 20 dice is nice although I would rather have had the dice with pips on instead of the actual numbers whuch is a minor complaint.

The Scoring Track:Not sure why they included this.Maybe it was so it could seem more euro?Maybe it was so you could play the game out the box without having pencil or paper.I will probably not use it as it seems a little fiddly and also seems like it would be alot easier to just use pencil and paper.I also like to use paper and pencil to do some math anyway when totaling points during an elimination.Also is easier just to look at a number on a piece of paper and know what it is instead of looking at little counters on a board(let's see you have a counter on the 200 space and the 50 space and the 2 space.You must have 252!).

The Damage Markers:I like the fact that they made them look like drops of blood.Thats cool!They also made them color coded by the higher numbers being darker and they are also two sided.This should help make them easier to find.It spite of all that it still seems easier to use dice to mark the damage and that is what I will end up doing.Also the points of the damage markers like to come apart when you punch them out.

The Counter Tray:Very nice and once they counters dry enough they all seem to fit in well.Nice touch here.

The Titan Bonus Figures:These came with the preorders and also available for sale as well.I did not preorder to get the figures but felt like I won the lottery when they arrived and were not broke.They seem a bit fragile and I will probably not even use them.They claim they are a 25 dollar value which I would never pay but I preordered for the discount and to help support the game.I would rather buy another board game for 25 bucks instead of buying the figures.Valley games has hinted that there could be minis for each of the creatures down the road but I cringe to think of what the cost might be.Would you need to have 14 of each of the creatures just in case you have a 7 ranger versus 7 ranger battle?After paying 50-70 dollars for a game how much do you want to invest in minis for the battles when the flat counters work better anyway?

So with everything said the new edition seems to be a welcome upgrade to the original version and I am glad they kept the rules the same as the original game.I am glad I got the new version even though my older version is in fine shape with nothing missing.The tough choice now will be to decide which version to play when I get this out to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking only at the end product and not all the assorted bitching, it looks like another awesome Valley Games reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jefF, There are some who call me... DuneKitteh
United States
Wood Dale
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dune Kitty really does love you, despite any asshattery.
badge
Useless rollover, booya! Dune Kitty says, "deal with it."
mbmbmbmbmb
Valley, quite simply, did a completely fantastic job on this. They took the time, listened to feedback and comments, and the "delay" was totally worth it with this as the end result. My favorite game got the treatment it deserved and I'm happy as a clam at high tide with it. I just keep looking at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Dreyer
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb

Great review and pictures - received my copy over the Christmas Break - along with all of the Titans in one piece (although they do seem too awkward and fragile to use for anything). My components were not "moist" and fit in the storage compartments just fine. I plan on bringing this monster of a game to a gaming party this weekend to see if anyone wants to actually play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.