Subject: My son asked me a Star Wars question I couldn't answer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps you can. He wondered if the color of a Jedi's light saber was an indication of that Jedi's rank. I'd never really noticed that before. Anybody know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Rethorn
United States
Perrysburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Re: Holy cow, my son asked me a Star Wars question I couldn't answer
No, it isn't. During the era of the prequel movies, most Jedi used Adegan crystals to focus their lightsabers. It just so happened that these were most commonly green and blue. The Sith, on the other hand, used synthetic crystals to imbue their lightsabers with a red hue--they believed that the synthetics made their sabers more powerful. After Luke Skywalker reestablished the Jedi Order, it became more common to use non-Adegan crystals or synthetic ones, which meant that NJO-era Jedi possessed lightsabers of many hues.

No, I didn't look any of this stuff up.
Yes, this is rather nerdy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard once that green means that the jedi is highly skilled in the force, and blue means the jedi is highly skilled in lightsaber arts. Mace Windu is well versed in both and has a purple saber. Of course, I'm far from the best reference (I have seen the original trilogy once).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard that Samuel L. Jackson insisted on purple M*****F****R to play Mace Windu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's as valid an answer as any to say that the color depends entirely on the percentage of body mass taken up by the saber user's bladder. It's just as well documented as any of the other theories people have posited on the "web."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I googled lightsaber knowledge and wow... the geeks just come out of the woodwork when you mention lightsabers.

One forum said it was the most hotly debated topic on their site... am I missing something of intellectual importance here?

I think we should all take a step back from lightsabers and debate a truely timely topic of 'Which Zombie type is the most durable: Plague, Voodoo or AD&D type?'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
I heard that Samuel L. Jackson insisted on purple M*****F****R to play Mace Windu.

It was in the contract. No purple lightsaber then he wouldn't do the role.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I think in Knights of the Old Republic, there's a bit about green and blue lightsabers.

As mentioned, Red ones are for the Sith. The reason stated above sounds about right, but I can't remember.

I think the "green" and the "blue" were originally to differentiate between "guardian" type Jedi and "councellor" type Jedi. I think. I may be misremembering, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Rethorn
United States
Perrysburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
I think the "green" and the "blue" were originally to differentiate between "guardian" type Jedi and "councellor" type Jedi. I think. I may be misremembering, though.

You're right about that being in KotOR; the player could also play as a Jedi Sentinel (in which case he received a yellow lightsaber with which to start the game). However, the accepted canon for lightsaber colors came about when Lucas himself mentioned that Episode 1 would only have blue and green lightsabers for the Jedi. In fact, there was a special promotional Mace Windu action figure, available before the release of Episode 1, that had a blue lightsaber attached. Many fans wanted to see a multi-hued variety of colors, especially when it was revealed that there would be a big Jedi battle in Episode II; but unfortunately we've only got four lightsaber colors featured in the films.

On a side note, the only reason Sam Jackson got his lightsaber to be purple was because he begged Lucas. Originally Lucas was adamant about keeping Jedi limited to blue and green, but he eventually relented--causing no small scramble for an "official" story to be told as to why Windu's color was different than anyone else's seen in the prequel trilogy.

And the only reason we've even got green lightsabers at all is because of the Jabba's sail barge scene in Return of the Jedi. The blue blade that Luke was supposed to carry would not have contrasted well with the sky above, so Lucas made a last-minute decision to turn the blade green in order to make the scene more visually exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emperorhand wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

On a side note, the only reason Sam Jackson got his lightsaber to be purple was because he begged Lucas. Originally Lucas was adamant about keeping Jedi limited to blue and green, but he eventually relented--causing no small scramble for an "official" story to be told as to why Windu's color was different than anyone else's seen in the prequel trilogy.

Funny thing was that the 'official' explanation for the purple saber fits well with the KotOR explanation.

Specifically, the KotOR 'Jedi fighting style types' of guardian/councilor/etc. Mace Windu ended up being a 'special case' in that he was a 'good' Jedi that fought with more anger than typical...but he could control it. IE., closer to a 'Sith' (red) style. Ergo, the purple blade.

It seemed an unusual connection between the movie 'canon' and unofficial games/books/etc. Not complaining, just saying!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Miller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:
I googled lightsaber knowledge and wow... the geeks just come out of the woodwork when you mention lightsabers.

There is one picture that sums up why that is.

(click for full size image)

Michael, search your feelings. You know it to be true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Del_Esau wrote:
scribidinus wrote:

It was in the contract. No purple lightsaber then he wouldn't do the role.

His reasoning was that if there was a big fight, he wanted to be able to find him on screen quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Rethorn
United States
Perrysburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Nerdy that wraps itself all the way 'round to creepy and back again. surprise

Hey now. Some people obsess about sports statistics; others happen to know a lot about the Star Wars universe. Those two aren't mutually incompatible, of course; I prefer playing sports to watching them but I still know a bit about my favorite teams.

Much of this latent Star Wars knowledge comes from several things: being a long-time player of the CCG in the '90s, owning (and reading) every Star Wars novel/non-fiction book, and being a long-time participant in theforce.net forums. You'd be shocked at how minutiae-filled some of the discussions there are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DK Kemler
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars... Non-fiction?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nieman
United States
Simi Valley
California (CA)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emperorhand wrote:
You'd be shocked at how minutiae-filled some of the discussions there are.

I was regular TFN user during the "Is Palpatine a Clone?" wars, and I can definitely attest to the fact that this discussion about lightsabers is quite tame next to some topics I saw on there.

Usually, when the arguments got heated enough, I'd roll my eyes and think to myself: "Am I really arguing about about the exact thrust-capacity of the Millennium Falcon in a temperate climate in the rain . . . with a 12-year old? What am I DOING?"
shake

Obviously, these are serious discussions only meant for adults.

(Waiting for someone to tell me the exact thrust-capacity of the Millennium Falcon, flying in a temperate climate in the rain.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nieman
United States
Simi Valley
California (CA)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
degamer wrote:
Star Wars... Non-fiction?

Yes, as in the multitude of books published about the making of the Star Wars movies. These are all classified as non-fiction books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Rethorn
United States
Perrysburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Dante_Cubit wrote:
Yes, as in the multitude of books published about the making of the Star Wars movies. These are all classified as non-fiction books.

Especially this one. The wealth of information in this book is staggering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nieman
United States
Simi Valley
California (CA)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emperorhand wrote:
Dante_Cubit wrote:

Especially this one. The wealth of information in this book is staggering.

I've looked at this book but I've don't own it. I think you just encouraged a sale. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we're talking about Star Wars books, could you recommend any for my son (12) for Christmas? $47 is a little higher than I'd like to spend.

I think he'd like a reference book, but there are so many out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Rethorn
United States
Perrysburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
Since we're talking about Star Wars books, could you recommend any for my son (12) for Christmas? $47 is a little higher than I'd like to spend.

I think he'd like a reference book, but there are so many out there.

You can also get that Making of Star Wars book in softcover form (found here for about $23). However, it's edited down by about 50 pages from the hardcover version; what it's missing are storyboard reproductions and excerpts from interviews with Lucas back in 1976-1977, if I remember correctly. The added content is quite nice and enjoyable, but the main story told in the book doesn't suffer without it.

Other reference books that I've found to be excellent are The Complete Locations of Star Wars, which is a veritable treasure trove of maps, charts, and other nifty details. It's a really well-done book that I think your son would greatly enjoy. There's also the Complete Cross-Sections (Spaceships and Vehicles), much along the same lines as the locations book except it deals with starships. There's even a fold-out map of the Death Star.

Another very popular reference series are the Essential Guides, which now have separate books for characters, vehicles and vessels, alien species, weapons and technology, droids, the Force, and the chronology of Star Wars. I loved poring over those when I was younger. I'd recommend looking at them in a bookstore to see which ones might interest your son the most. Also, stay away from the Visual Guides--they're a bit simplistic and he will probably get rather bored with them quickly.

However, if you're willing to splurge, the Holy Grail this holiday season is the Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia. Written by the guys who run Lucasfilm's canon division (i.e., the ones responsible for keeping everything in the Star Wars universe logically coherent), this is going to be a three-volume monster of a book. I've met and chatted with the lead author (Steve Sansweet) several years ago, and I can't wait for this one to come out. It's going to be awesome.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Nate! This is very helpful. I think he'd love the vehicles & ships one a lot.

That encyclopedia does look awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Nerdy that wraps itself all the way 'round to creepy and back again. surprise

...he types on a gaming website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.