Popular Tags: [View All]
G. Gambill
United States
Shawnee on Delaware
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! Can anyone tell me what shields "cover". Do they cover the areas outside of the ship, protecting the ship from even getting hit from the directions of the green graphics (shields point "out" from the outside edge of the ship, pointing into "space"), or do they cover the "inside" of the ship, protecting the tiles that make the ship itself in the directions of the green graphics (shields point "in", or are placed inside the ship, pointing over tiles in the interior of the ship). No one else seems to have posted this question, and the rules don't seem to be to clear to be definitive unless I'm reading them wrong. Thanks for your help!

edited to try to make question more clear about orientation of the shields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ggambill wrote:
Hello! Can anyone tell me what shields "cover". Do they cover the areas outside of the ship, protecting the ship from even getting hit from the directions of the green graphics (shields point "out" from the outside edge of the ship, pointing into "space"), or do they cover the "inside" of the ship, protecting the tiles that make the ship itself in the directions of the green graphics (shields point "in", or are placed inside the ship, pointing over tiles in the interior of the ship). No one else seems to have posted this question, and the rules don't seem to be to clear to be definitive unless I'm reading them wrong. Thanks for your help!

edited to try to make question more clear about orientation of the shields.

Yes, one top/left shield can cover the entire top and left sides of the ship. One bottom/right shield can cover the entire bottom and right of the ship.

It makes no difference where the shield is placed, as long as you have a battery to charge it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
They can be placed anywhere in your ship (whether outer edge or deep within has the same effect).

They can (with battery use) protect against light laser fire or a small meteor (that was on course to hit an exposed connector) coming from either 'facing' of the shield. If the green blob is left-side and front-side, it can protect against the aforementioned threats to the ship coming from the left or the front.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fred Tortonesi
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
wouldn't it just cover the upper left and front of the ship since the shield is essentially 1/4 a circle?
sorry im just confused a diagram showing what it exactly protects would be better than just a picture of the ship with the shields on it with text stating what it protects. I guess im more of a visual guy at times. any help would be much apprecaited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cook
United States
Brighton
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Go Pack Go!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Shields Costs
Kind of an unrelated question

I just received my copy of this brilliant game and finished reading the rules, but had one question. I know that shields can protect you from small meteors, but how long does the shield last after paying your battery marker. For example: If I have shields covering the right side of my ship and we hit a meteor field with two small meteors coming at the right side of my ship. Would I have to pay one battery marker to protect from both of the meteors or one for each meteor for a total of two battery markers spent to protect from both??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gambill
United States
Shawnee on Delaware
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding of the rules would be one battery has to be used for each incident. It does not cover you for an entire card of hazards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcook144 wrote:
Kind of an unrelated question

I just received my copy of this brilliant game and finished reading the rules, but had one question. I know that shields can protect you from small meteors, but how long does the shield last after paying your battery marker. For example: If I have shields covering the right side of my ship and we hit a meteor field with two small meteors coming at the right side of my ship. Would I have to pay one battery marker to protect from both of the meteors or one for each meteor for a total of two battery markers spent to protect from both??

Yes, you would have to pay two, if you had an exposed connector at those locations. Otherwise the small meteor would bounce harmlessly of your ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alfan727 wrote:
wouldn't it just cover the upper left and front of the ship since the shield is essentially 1/4 a circle?
sorry im just confused a diagram showing what it exactly protects would be better than just a picture of the ship with the shields on it with text stating what it protects. I guess im more of a visual guy at times. any help would be much apprecaited.

Nope, John had it right. A shield will protect an entire one side and a front or back end. Get two shields pointing in opposite directions, and you're fully protected, until one of them gets blasted off by a large laser shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.