Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Warping boards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Shaw
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not noticed significant warping.

However, I did notice a significant number of plastic pieces are mis-shaped or have truncated gun barrels, it annoys me but yet to the degree where all short barrel tanks only rolls "6". It only happened for about half of the time in my first game. arrrh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sauceybugger wrote:
My map boards & the National Production chart and warping up like crazy. By the end of the first game the Germans where fighting just to stop sliding from Poland back into Germany.


Where have you been storing the game and for how long?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H Sparks
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
mb
I have noticed that the boards do warp too. Maybe not as much as yours. I'm not sure if it's the temperature changing or not, but all I do is flex them back in the other direction and it seems to fix it for a little while. For a 100 bucks a pop they should of made the boards a little thicker and sturdier. Wizards should consider another printing with thicker boards. The box is big enough to make up for it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harris
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
sauceybugger wrote:
My map boards & the National Production chart and warping up like crazy. By the end of the first game the Germans where fighting just to stop sliding from Poland back into Germany.


Where have you been storing the game and for how long?


In my basement in MN, Since Tue Nov 18th. It is cold (negetive temp wind chills some mornings) and Dry. Yet my map is warped. I love the game but just wish they would have used slightly thicker boards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bolog wrote:
Eldard wrote:
sauceybugger wrote:
My map boards & the National Production chart and warping up like crazy. By the end of the first game the Germans where fighting just to stop sliding from Poland back into Germany.


Where have you been storing the game and for how long?


In my basement in MN, Since Tue Nov 18th. It is cold (negetive temp wind chills some mornings) and Dry. Yet my map is warped. I love the game but just wish they would have used slightly thicker boards.


I totally agree with you. For that kind of money, they should've delivered quality boards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rolfe
Canada
flag msg tools
I set the new game up last night and left it.....I just checked it after reading this thread and yuppers my boards have warped as well.Considering the game cost me $125 I am not happy to say the least,hell my 25+ year old copy of "thunder road" board is sturdier.

You would think that wizards would have made the boards thicker....guess I will have to do it myself.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Berger
Germany
Eitensheim
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
just want to throwm my two cents in.

(I already wrote my issue on harrisgamedesign)
My board pieces from AA50 also show massive warping. And i also had 3 missculpted pieces... (IC, german bomber and fighter)
Hope AH will come up with a customer friendly solution...soblue

If the game came from FFG i had no doubt they would send another set and replacement parts for the plastic pieces...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to have quality issues addressed by Avalon Hill, post your concerns on the AH message board, or better yet contact Wizards Customer Service either on-line or by calling the number on the back of the rulebook.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooof this puts a little damper on the excitement meter. I was really looking forward to this but I might have to wait if a lot of people start reporting poor component quality.




-Brund the Hopeful
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brund the Decrepit wrote:
Ooof this puts a little damper on the excitement meter. I was really looking forward to this but I might have to wait if a lot of people start reporting poor component quality.




-Brund the Hopeful


I just got my copy yesterday and we already played our first game. As for components, I can only speak for my copy, but the package is 99% awesome. The minis include some new and very nice pieces (UK County class cruiser, UK Matilda tank, Me-109's, Japanese and Italian tanks, Chinese infantry, and so forth). The counters (control markers and the like) are thick and linen-finished, so a serious step up from previous A&A games. The boxes that the pieces are stored in are very nice and everything fits into the main box perfectly. The battle board, nation cards, and income chart are also heavy-duty and linen finished. My mapboards do exhibit some mild warping - use of four simple binder clips, as per the small ones in this pic, did the trick to keep the map secured:



We found a couple of US transports with "shortened" masts, but nothing terribly noticable, and this did not detract from the game at all. All-in-all, I find the physical quality of the game very high, and if were considering buying the game, I would heartily recommend doing so!!!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Perdue
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
I once called WOTC about missing German pieces, and they shipped out replacements in a few days. very fast and excellent customer service.
Call them about the boards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hart
Canada
flag msg tools
A few minor things that stick out to say about 50th Axis and Allies.



1. There is no plane markers or even a better way to resolved plane markers ( thought it was a bit scatty in other game and still confusing where your fighter/bomber had left from etc.. )

2. There is no Number Group cards,

3. There is little chips of grey and red,

4. Plus us the buyers have to buy a clip or some way to put the three boards together..we may use velcro to attach the boards attached on the bottom side as clips might damage the board edges where the four segments are. The nice graphic art may also fade away with the clips as well.

5. We had to use a US Lightning fighter from other A and A to play the China fighter to mark the dif's between the other US fighters. You would think just one plane would be installed for China.

6. Italy certainly could of been more easier to find if next to a Russian piece. We may put a small painted dot on the helmet.

7. Cruisers also are at times dif to see, but it's a matter of getting used to an extra sea piece.



Understandably it is a bigger board, but when playing we have come to a stage where there is too much going on in a sea zone, or land zone, and the Number group cards IS needed. With these extra items not included, we have to dig out from the other a and a revised kit to support the new 50th Edition.

This shouldn't have be a problem as it's expensive enough and you'd think that it would be perfect.



That's my two cents on it, I don't want to sound disappointed, but there will always be something us gamers will find.

We have yet to finish the new game so my views may not be so much a problem by the time we end, we LOVE the time spent in the graphics of the board and quality also on the country chips, and money is nice too.



So far give it 8/10.



Laters, Jazzy


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Brund the Decrepit wrote:
Ooof this puts a little damper on the excitement meter. I was really looking forward to this but I might have to wait if a lot of people start reporting poor component quality.




-Brund the Hopeful


I just got my copy yesterday and we already played our first game. As for components, I can only speak for my copy, but the package is 99% awesome. The minis include some new and very nice pieces (UK County class cruiser, UK Matilda tank, Me-109's, Japanese and Italian tanks, Chinese infantry, and so forth). The counters (control markers and the like) are thick and linen-finished, so a serious step up from previous A&A games. The boxes that the pieces are stored in are very nice and everything fits into the main box perfectly. The battle board, nation cards, and income chart are also heavy-duty and linen finished. My mapboards do exhibit some mild warping - use of four simple binder clips, as per the small ones in this pic, did the trick to keep the map secured:



We found a couple of US transports with "shortened" masts, but nothing terribly noticable, and this did not detract from the game at all. All-in-all, I find the physical quality of the game very high, and if were considering buying the game, I would heartily recommend doing so!!!


Thanks for the info Fox! That makes me feel quite a bit better about getting it!

thumbsup
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Perdue
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
AXIS AND ALLIES HAS ALWAYS HAD RED AND WHITE OR GREY CHIPS.
ARE YOU CONCERNED ABOUT A LACK OF ARMY CARDS? HOW HARD WOULD IT BE TO MAKE YOUR OWN? USE A DIFFERENT D10 FOR EACH ARMY, AND JUST GROUP THE FORCES NEXT TO AN IDENTICAL D10 OFF BOARD SOMEPLACE. EASILY REMEDIED. IF YOU ARE ABLE TO PRODUCE SO MUCH THAT IT WONT FIT ON THE BOARD, YOU ARE PLAYING THE WRONG PEOPLE. A GOOD PLAYER IS NOT GOING TO LET YOU BUILD UP THAT MUCH WITHOUT HARASSING THE STACK. FIND BETTER PLAYERS.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay zak
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Quote:
desertfox2004
My mapboards do exhibit some mild warping - use of four simple binder clips, as per the small ones in this pic, did the trick to keep the map secured.


Instead of using the HEAVY and DAMAGING Binder clips I have been using Avery Dennison's Sliding Bar report cover's sliding bar on AA 50 and on the the war game WW2. It hold rather well with out causing much damage. It is only about 1/2 inch wide but is 11 inches long so it grips over a longer distance and does not cover up much of the board. If you want to get crazy after securing the board into the report cover's bars you can fun tack it down too

Leddux
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baron von Doom
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Holy caps-lock, Batman!"

-BvD
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.