Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey All,

So I wrote about playing this with a friends 6 year old a short while back and here is how the game plays out with an older crew trying to find the Hidden Temple. There where 3 of us playing and we all picked our secret agents and where off and running.

Tao lead and started by moving red up 3 spaces, Matt right away says " Mom is Red " and as it turns out, Matt is smarter then I gave him credit for because he turned out being Red. I was Yellow, but had no yellow cards so I just laid low and moved everyone else. This actually worked well for me as the others started moving my yellow guy steadily up and kept him near the lead. 1/3 way through the game and it was easy to tell Tao was the green lady and we needed to slow her down - she was in the lead. A couple of quicksand cards from me and Matt helped to slow her down. Near the end and I was still not sure who Matt was - which I have to give credit to Matt for hiding his guy so well ( much better then his mom did ).

A lot of this game is luck of the draw, but also on waiting till you have a bunch of one card and playing them all at once to get rid of a lot of cards at once. Once you figure out who is who, then you can start slowing them down by placing them in quicksand but also by covering up there colored tiles so they don't get to move their guy and discard an extra card to boot. I was paying attention to who discarded what, but this was a little beyond Matt the first game at least, but I still told him what his mom was discarding - you know state the obvious and try and help yourself to win all in one.

So we are closing in on a win and Tao is positioned 2 away from the temple and my guy is 3 back. The only problem was I had no yellow cards and no wild cards. I was sure I was going to lose this one. A few turns later and Tao still has not won and I now have a yellow and a wild card, so I am just one away from winning. Matt has his red guy right behind me so we are all in place for a win if we can just get the cards we needed. I did put a quicksand on Tao's guy to try and help my cause and it did. I get another yellow card but have to wait till next turn to use it. I am sure Tao will take the win from me on her next turn, but alas she did not have what it takes to make it tot he Temple first and I get the victory. If I would not have placed her in quicksand she would have won it that last round she informed us.

I can tell they both liked the game because we all just set it up again and started playing it again right away. The 2nd game played out differently from the 1st, but not that much since it is basically just luck of the draw and getting rid of your cards. But the game went a little faster since we now knew what we where doing. I moved the red guy first this time since I had 2 cards for him. My second turn I moved my guy 3 spaces, I was white this game, and got him right on a white spot so I got to discard an extra card. I made a comment to the extent that I needed to get rid of these cards so I can get some for my guy, but they where not really listening and I don't think they where trying to figure out who was who yet - where as I am from move 1. I basically just raced my white guy up as fast as I can and I ended up winning. We where all getting close to the end when I had my white guy on the green space. Tao was the green lady again so she played a quicksand on Matt's guy instead of mine, even though I was 1 space ahead of him, and Matt was not happy - Tao explained at the end that she needed to get me off the green space to try and help her along. I was 3 spaces away from the win and had a wild card and a white guy, I then picked up 2 more wild cards ( of 4 ) and just had wait till my next turn to race to the temple for the win.

Both of my friends said they liked this one and would play it again, which is always a plus. To be honest I think it is just an OK game, it is great for kids and has a few cool twists to it but it is a little to simple for my tastes. I like that you have to figure out who is who, but by the end of the game it should be pretty obvious. I read in someone else's posts on this game that they house ruled you do not have to show the other people what you discard and I think that I will try it that way next time to see if it helps any.

Game On'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hendal wrote:
I read in someone else's posts on this game that they house ruled you do not have to show the other people what you discard and I think that I will try it that way next time to see if it helps any.
It's the ONLY way to play, in my opinion.
If discards are face-up, all you have to do is watch the discards (which is happening because you SUCCEEDED with a good move to a mask space) and do process of elimination.

The only way to avoid this is to discard your own color as a misdirect (which is just silly and slows down the game).

The other house rule to speed up the game is to allow a mask-space discard to be re-filled with any card from the discard pile (typically a mask).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Reap - I will try the first one for sure. I will suggest the 2nd idea and see if the group wants to go with it.

Not a great game, but with kids I think it works well because it is so easy to teach

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.