Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I make a lot of trades, and so the trade manager sees a lot of use. Here are a couple of suggestions for your consideration:

1) One of my pet peeves is that 70-80% of the matches I get don't list a condition.

How am I to know if your copy of a game is in mint condition or if it got soaked in a flooded basement and now smells of mildew?

I could send a message asking you, but even if you think it's OK that I should expend the extra effort (sometimes to find out that your game is in a condition that I wouldn't even consider trading for), some people are actually indignant that you ask them! I've been on the receiving end of several snotty responses to a perfectly polite inquiry before from people who just can't believe that I don't know automatically that they keep their games in pristine condition. shake

So here's my request. Can you please consider an enhancement that forces people (moving forward) to have a condition entered before they can make their game "for trade"? I'm not necessarily talking about affecting those things currently listed, just the ones added from that moment on.

2) Version. Some versions of games are commonplace while others are much more in demand. When you get trade matches, you have no idea (unless someone puts it in the condition) what version it is. Often there's only one, but in the case that there are more it's a much more important consideration.

Suggestion: The checkboxes used to indicate that you have something for trade or want something in trade could have dropdowns next to them that have the known editions in them (usage optional). Users could enter versions further up the page, so there would be no responsibility on the part of the mods to keep those lists up to date and the dropdowns just populate with whatever versions people have entered. Then the trade manager, as part of the display, could show a version if one was selected, as could users individual trade/want lists. I'm not suggesting that be incorporated into the search itself yet as I know that would be a lot more work, but perhaps at some point in the future?

Thanks for all of your hard work maintaining the site and hopefully you'll see some merit in these suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Erickson
United States
Winona
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack

I agree that all these things would help the trade manager function. But my biggest problem, is that it shows trades with users that haven't logged on in years. If they could just show trades with users that have logged in the last month or so that would be great.

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I miss the function where I can see all the users that want games in my trade list. I can peruse their lists and sometimes find something I want but never knew about. It used to be offered on here to do this, but since the change I can't find how to do this easily. An easy way wouuld be if your wants could be added a nothing-show all others who want your trades. Or the clear button on my wants could all go away if I want to check on the wants of other only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
For the life of me I can't find out where to enter a game's condition. I just found out about the trade feature and have done numerous searches to find out how to do it. Please help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Synnical77 wrote:
For the life of me I can't find out where to enter a game's condition.

You can edit a game's "Trade Condition" from the game page at the bottom, if you have that game already added to your collection (or a game you haven't added to your collection if you click the "Record Information" link at the bottom of the game page)

Or you can add the "Trade Condition" column to your collection view:

My Geek->Collection->Columns, check "Trade Condition" and then click done. Once that column shows up, click in the box to edit it for a specific game in your collection.

you can then even save that "view" if you want

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
anglotiger wrote:
So here's my request. Can you please consider an enhancement that forces people (moving forward) to have a condition entered before they can make their game "for trade"? I'm not necessarily talking about affecting those things currently listed, just the ones added from that moment on.

I know that it's not your intent, Jack, but the net result would end up being to push me out of math trades. I used to be good about listing condition, but - largely due to math trades - I often don't bother anymore; I put the description in the math trades. Often, I don't even remember to mark a game as available for trade until the end of the math trade, when I quickly check it, make the offer, and move on.

Requiring additional information would just push things over into "not worth the effort" for me.

I look at filling out the condition information as advertising; I'm not having difficulty trading without advertising, so why bother? It's just more information to clear out once I've traded the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.