6 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Sessions

Subject: A dice-filled slugfest of a night rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
badge
We started the night with a table full of games leftover from a failed attempt at a Halloween game night: Fury of Dracula, Last Night on Earth, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Arkham Horror. After some discussion, the guests decided they wanted the one that was as cooperative as possible, and that they were least familiar with. Arkham Horror it was.

I got out the camera as we sat down to play. "Oh, no pictures please," said my friend. "Those gamer guys I know read that site and I don't want them to see my face." She was vaguely aware of pictures like this and didn't want to end up the same way. Fair enough.

Facing Shub-Niggurath, Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young, we drew up four characters. The magician, the private eye, the researcher who allows rerolls on skill checks, and the scientist whose presence stops gates from opening. We felt pretty set. Monsters would be harder to defeat, but they'd let us trade in for rewards sooner, trading zombie corpses for cash on the black market.

The first gate appeared on the Woods, and its monster guardian was a nasty. I don't remember what it was, but it was something scary enough to make us send in Diamond Joe, our designated monster-killer. Sure, he'd get sucked through the gate, but only just this once, and then he could go back to policing the streets.

Except not. As soon as he returned and closed the gate, the Mythos phase dumped another one on his head, and it was off to R'lyeh for him. It was clear that he wasn't going to survive the trip and close the gate, let alone seal it, so Kate Winthrop jumped in after him with an Elder Sign. (A good thing, because Diamond joe got himself Lost in Time and Space almost absurdly soon.)

Sealing off the gate made us feel confident. Too confident. We were spending all our clues on surviving rolls or catching serial killers, and not enough new ones were appearing on the board. We needed some elder signs, and so a plan was hatched. Everyone would pass by Dexter Drake and hand off their money in one turn, and then he'd use his Deputy Wagon to jump to the Curiosity Shoppe and buy us some goodies.

That sounded like a great plan, until a gate opened beneath his feet.

Things were getting desperate. Shub-Niggurath was close to awakening, as gates were opening right and left with hardly a monster surge in sight. The elder sign we'd placed on the Woods had yet to prevent a single gate from opening. In desperation, all available players flung themselves into gates.

And it almost worked, too. Kate found an elder sign lying under a rock, and picked up a hefty pack of clue tokens from random events. Was relief in sight? We worked out a complicated set of moves for the next turn:
1. Diamond Joe, back in town, would move to Kate's exit gate and kill the guardian beasts.
2. Kate and the others, in turn order, would return to the other worlds.
3. Kate would seal the Independence Square gate with clue tokens, preventing Joe from getting pulled through.
4. Dexter would close his gate, and the Mandy Thompson would clear out any monsters that were hanging out near her gate.
5. Joe would ferry Kate's elder sign to Mandy during the next turn, allowing her to seal the gate and take off a doom token.

But all our planning was in vain. Before would could move, another gate appeared at the Black Cave, and with it a monster. That set us over the town limit, and some critters were booted to the Outskirts. But those were full too, and the terror level increased. Shub-Niggurath gained two doom tokens at once, and that was enough to wake her up. Kate Winthrop had no monster trophies and was immediately devoured, weakly clutching her useless elder sign.

At this point Dexter Drake was feeling a little pessimistic. "Look at this. We need 48 successes to get by this thing. Can I just lie down and die?" And as the Black Goat of the Woods ate up our monster tokens one by one, he was indeed the next to be devoured.

But Diamond Joe and Mandy soldiered on. They each had a passel of monster corpses to sacrifice to their dark god, and both were packing serious physical and magical heat. They fended off the Great Old One as long as they could, until Joe had no more tokens and Mandy had one. Shub-Niggurath was dangerously, tantalizingly low on doom tokens. Dexter Drake stopped his whining and took an interest in the game again.

Joe succumbed on the next turn, but not before rolling a few successes. Mandy just needed to land three more hits with her enchanted knife/ax combo, and the world would be saved. She took up her dice and prepared to roll.

"This feels like Yahtzee," she said.
"Now would be a good time to point out the differences between Eurogames and Ameritrash," I said.

She had six dice to roll. Superstitiously, she rolled them in pairs. All eyes were on her.

A two and a five. Success!
A one and a three. Failure!
And then...
A five and a six! Two hits! The Old One returned to her slumber, and Mandy went back to the library, mourning her fallen friends but satisfied that they had staved off Evil long enough to see another day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
Dexter Drake stopped his whining and took an interest in the game again.

Good session report, sounds like you had a good time! The above line made me laugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
Facing Shub-Niggurath, Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young, we drew up four characters. The magician,

Doom was upon you at that point already, Dexter SUCKS !

Quote:
But all our planning was in vain. Before would could move, another gate appeared at the Black Cave, and with it a monster. That set us over the town limit, and some critters were booted to the Outskirts. But those were full too, and the terror level increased. Shub-Niggurath gained two doom tokens at once, and that was enough to wake her up.

Okay, gotta admit that I feel like I missed something here. Gate opening = doom token, but where did the 2nd doom token come from? From the way you wrote it makes it sound like the terror level increasing had something to do with it. Care to elaborate?

Quote:
But Diamond Joe and Mandy soldiered on. They each had a passel of monster corpses to sacrifice to their dark god, and both were packing serious physical and magical heat. They fended off the Great Old One as long as they could, until Joe had no more tokens and Mandy had one. Shub-Niggurath was dangerously, tantalizingly low on doom tokens. Dexter Drake stopped his whining and took an interest in the game again.

Too bad Joe would've been devoured as soon as he lost his last monster trophy (assuming by tokens you mean monster trophies, not Clue Tokens, which Joe can indeed use to great effect in the final combat). Also, why were you packing "physical heat" against a Physical Immunity GOO ?

Quote:
Joe succumbed on the next turn, but not before rolling a few successes. Mandy just needed to land three more hits with her enchanted knife/ax combo, and the world would be saved. She took up her dice and prepared to roll.

"This feels like Yahtzee," she said.
"Now would be a good time to point out the differences between Eurogames and Ameritrash," I said.

She had six dice to roll. Superstitiously, she rolled them in pairs. All eyes were on her.

Mandy has what, Fight max 4? Enchanted Knife +3 (IIRC), Axe +2 (even though it's useless being a Physical weapon), Shub-Niggurath -5 modifier, how'd you get 6 dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
It looks like I did a few things wrong. blush Very wrong...

Dam the Man wrote:
Okay, gotta admit that I feel like I missed something here. Gate opening = doom token, but where did the 2nd doom token come from? From the way you wrote it makes it sound like the terror level increasing had something to do with it. Care to elaborate?

Because the doom level goes up every time the terror track increases, right? Let me just check the rules here and show you what you're missing. ... What? Well, that explains why the Great Old One always wakes so fast in our games...

Quote:
Too bad Joe would've been devoured as soon as he lost his last monster trophy.

Our reading of Shub-Niggurath's attack was something like this: "If an investigator has any monster tokens, they must pass the skill check or lose one. If they don't have any, they die immediately."

Quote:
Mandy has what, Fight max 4? Enchanted Knife +3 (IIRC), Axe +2 (even though it's useless being a Physical weapon), Shub-Niggurath -5 modifier, how'd you get 6 dice?

Through skills and allies, which I neglected to mention. Max Fight 3 + Axe 2 + Knife 3 + Ally 2 + Skill 1 - GOO 5 = 6 dice. She also had the super-rare skill that reads "ignore any resistances of the Great Old One which you stupid players completely overlooked because it's past midnight."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
Quote:
Too bad Joe would've been devoured as soon as he lost his last monster trophy.

Our reading of Shub-Niggurath's attack was something like this: "If an investigator has any monster tokens, they must pass the skill check or lose one. If they don't have any, they die immediately."

Not sure if we're on the same page with this one, but just to be sure:

You're playing Shub as if when you fail a check and give up your last monster trophy -> devoured, right? IIRC, that's the consensus in interpreting Shub's attack (ditto for Nyar and Yog)

Quote:
Through skills and allies, which I neglected to mention. Max Fight 3 + Axe 2 + Knife 3 + Ally 2 + Skill 1 - GOO 5 = 6 dice. She also had the super-rare skill that reads "ignore any resistances of the Great Old One which you stupid players completely overlooked because it's past midnight."

That skill rocks !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
No, we're not on the same page. But given my track record on reading the rules correctly, your page is probably the right one to be on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.