Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read a lot of negative things about cooperative mode here. Is it completly broken or are there good house rules which can fix it ? Any hint is appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Conradie
Canada
Rossland
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have played the competitive game a lot (she's very competitive!), but we did play the cooperative game once, and it seemed to work fine.

I have to say though that in our 10+ games so far, we have only once come close to losing to the villain, so you might say that there is a certain lack of tension in this regard. This will be more of an issue in the cooperative game, as in the competitive game there is the tension of trying to take on and defeat the villain before your opponents.

The designer/rulebook states that the game was primarily designed for competitive play, and I would have to agree. I think it is probably best to play the cooperative game while you are learning the game, and when players new to the game are involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game yesterday (advanced competitive) and tension was lacking. We played the vampire and rarely there was a minion on the board, no more than one at a time. These were succubi which could be handily defeated by the noble woman, preventing wounds with investigation. The shadow track was advancing slow and was slowed even more by 'assuring speach' two times. I think the biggest problem is the small penalty for being KO'd. 1d6 in investigation is easily paid most of the time, no need to loose items or allies. Therefore players were rarely challenged and if they were not afraid of loosing a combat.

Are mystery cards too rare ? I read here a player was playing a mystery card after each heroes turn to raise the tension.

I will not draw too many conclusion from just one game but hope next encounters will be more challenging. I'd like to play cooperative but if it is even less challenging then I'd fear my group won't like it.

How about team games. Anyone played this ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think adding mystery card draws is necessarily a good idea - some of them advance the Shadow Track so you may make the game too fast by doing so.

How about rolling on the Minion chart automatically every turn (either before or after the Mystery Draw)? This would add some tension in the way of more threats on the board and on some turns this would happen twice (depending on what mystery card is played).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Burr
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Some thoughts I posted earlier:

1. If a Mystery Card doesn't say to advance the Shadow Track, advance it 1 space anyway. If a Mystery Card says advance the Shadow Track more than one space, only do so if it requires a specific roll of the dice.

2. "Reassuring Speech" may only be used once per game.

I would also suggest that when a Mystery Card says to add minions, double the number it tells you to add.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.