flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Part 5 of an ongoing series.

Part 1 (prologue): http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/335308
Part 2 (weeks 1 and 2): http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/335351
Part 3 (weeks 3 and 4): http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/338796
Part 4 (weeks 5-7): http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/356279

“Your midgetsty! Come look in da scryin’ orb!”

With a sigh, the Sorcerer King put away his copy of “Who’s Who in Terinoth’s Underworld” and bellowed “Bring it in here, Chutley! And, for the thousandth time, the correct term is “Your Majesty!”

“Sorry, Your Expectorancy!” Chutley shambled into the room bearing the Acme™ Scrying Orb, which was handsomely engraved with the initials S.K. and only mildly smeared with peanut butter. The Sorcerer King clutched the glowing orb and peered within its depths.

“See master! Cubic Zirconia is on sale on the Terinoth Home Shopping Channel! Me should order now while supplies last, yes?”

The Sorcerer King rubbed at the pulsing vein in his temple as he changed the view on the orb to the first level of Flametail River’s dungeon. “Chutley. If you order any more faux diamonds from those hucksters, I will personally make sure you take delivery of them in suppository form. Now leave me! I’ve an invasion to repel!”

As the Overlord looked on in glee, the heroes burst into the Arena on Level 1 of the dungeon. The doorkeeper, a skeleton, was quickly cut down in a hail of steel, and the heroes surged into the Arena. More skeletons appeared from hiding places high above the arena floor, and began firing down onto the heroes. Their increased range from the “Sniper” ability, combined with the increased range from their high perches, resulted in a veritable storm of fletched death. The heroes put their heads down and moved skillfully through the dungeon, dodging the storm of arrows. Mordrog fell behind and took a hit – still gravely wounded from the battle with Sir Alric, he used a glyph to return to town.

Silhoeutte, nimble as always, dodged the hissing arrows and activated another transportation glyph, then came within range of the dungeon leader, a Master Skeleton. Her axes sailed through the air, and the Master fell. The rogue was just beginning a celebratory cheer when the evil skeleton’s bones reformed, and, undying, he stood before her once more. Meanwhile, the ogre patrolling the arena was being stunned by Jaes and slowly killed by potshots from Astarra.

Mordrog re-entered the arena and immediately began taking hits from the deadly fire of the skeletons. The Overlord was distracted by the fight with Silhouette and the Master Skeleton and missed a perfect opportunity to un-stun the ogre with Dark Balm, then use him to kill Mordrog. (editor’s note: Dang it! The heroes were so confident that the ogre wouldn’t be a threat due to a double-stun, and Mordrog was moving within range, but I totally forgot to play the card!) The ogre fell to Mordrog’s blade, even as the orcish hero and the runewitch Astarra fell to yet more deadly arrows from the skeletal snipers. Undaunted, they returned to the dungeon, opened a chest of treasure (200 coins, 4 potions, 1 conquest), and united with Jaes and Silhouette to kill the Master Skeleton – permanently this time – and enter the portal.

Level 2 was a “Web of lives” which contained numerous captive villagers who were being reserved as tasty snacks for the numerous spiders that inhabited the level. The level was a bloodbath for both sides. The dungeon was literally crammed full with the spiders, who mostly got in each other’s way. The entire dungeon was a seething mass of insectoid claws and mandibles, and the heroes slogged through it at their peril. Silhouette died trying to reach a captive villager. Astarra died in battle with the Master Spider commanding the level.

Mordrog spent most of the level webbed, unable to get leverage to cut through the sticky strands. The spiders waited until only he and Jaes were left, then converged on the captive orc and slew him as well. Silhouette and Astarra managed to save one villager each, carrying them through the melee to the glyph. Just as the Master Spider died at the hands of Jaes, dark priests entered the dungeon. Astarra fell to their wrath, and the other heroes took heavy damage before they made it through the portal.

Level 3 featured a “Fountain of Life” guarded by a beastman. The heroes moved out with astonishing speed, collecting 800 coins as well as a chest containing a power potion, gauntlets of power, and 250 coins. They also unlocked the door to the dungeon exit.

“Holy crap!” said the Sorcerer King, so astonished by this blitzkrieg that he completely forgot to move three of his skeletons who were easily within range to punish the speedy heroes. Fortunately, the exit door was well defended, and the heroes bled profusely as they fought through several skeletons and a sorcerer patrol. Jaes and Mordrog fell, but the exit was in sight. Silhouette was within inches of the door when a skeleton slew her, and the foul minions of the Overlord closed ranks before the exit. They eyed the runewitch Astarra in much the same way that the Overord is known to eye a freshly made peanut butter and banana sandwich.

“Heck with this, I’m outta here!” Astarra declared. And thus did the Overlord snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. The heroes returned to Tamalir to lick their wounds and spend their hard-earned cash in the markets of temples of the great city. The Sorcerer King returned to his tome, using an Eldritch Highlighter to mark useful contacts among the lawless brigands of Terinoth, and humming a happy yet wretchedly evil little tune (rather similar to “Mmmm-bop” by Hansen) under his breath . . .

Analysis:

This session saw a lot of conquest gained by both the OL and the Heroes. We are now just slightly over halfway through copper level. The Heroes entered the dungeon primarily to gain additional cash as they finished the fight with Alric the week before pretty much dead broke. Conquest-wise, I definitely come out the victor, but the heroes are maintaining that 1:2 ratio to my conquest tokens, so not doing horribly. Their increase in cash all but assures that they will be able to re-equip, heal, and upgrade before making another attempt to defend Dawnsmoor. I made several major errors in this session, but none as devastating as planning to play that Dark Balm card and then totally spazzing out when my big moment came.

NOBODY liked the spider level. Heroes hated it, I hated it too. Just too many big-butt spiders crawling through narrow tunnels. At least I got decent conquest from it. At least THEY made it through and were paid off with a handsome amount of riches from level 3. All in all, I’d say the session was a minor victory for the OL, but with some benefits for the heroes as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kahan
United States
Annandale
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"They eyed the runewitch Astarra in much the same way that the Overord is known to eye a freshly made peanut butter and banana sandwich."

I like your Overlord.... I just had one of those sandwiches for lunch!

Keep the session reps coming Brian!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adrian bai
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed that Jaes can seem to stun named monsters, like the ogre in the Arena. The OL (you) maybe shortchanged as named monsters are immune to stun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.