Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read a few threads and posts of people voicing some difficulty and, on occasion, some frustration on having difficulty in getting through the rules and into the Magic Realm.

I suspect I could be considered a success story. Unhappily, I did not have anybody who could teach me the game. So, I took full advantage of the wealth of resources available and was able to learn Magic Realm and enjoy what I consider an amazing fantasy-themed boardgame.

I borrowed a copy from a friend in the early 90's and spent one afternoon reading part of the first edition rules just to put the game back in the box without any intention of opening it again.

In the winter of 2007 and decided to buy a copy. I had read some session reports and comments here and felt up to face the challenge. I printed "Magic Realm in Plain English" and "Third Edition Rules". I read MRIPE up to page 42 (up to the point before hiring and magic). I could not make any sense of the game. MRIPE does not have many pictures and examples and Third Edition has all the rules clumped, what is great to understand how they fit together but being newbie unfriendly. I traded the game away and was done with MR.

Later in the summer, I bought the game again. The Video Review was available and I decided to try once again. This is exactly what I needed. It is the missing link for MRIPE. The Video, essentially, makes MRIPE visual. It is the pictures and examples that I was missing.

After watching the videos, I read MRIPE once again up to page 42. I felt confident to play. But, even doing this, I was not ready yet. the characters are complex and it is almost impossible to understand their capabilities by just looking at them.

Still before playing, I made sure to read the "Magic Realm Strategy for Beginners". An article with a couple of pages, going over about 8 characters and their basic strategies.

After this, I got a few games with the Dwarf. This is by far the most newbie friendly character, at least, if you are playing solo. I played a few games with Victory Points placed only in Fame and Notoriety.

Those games were great because I only really needed to understand how to move, hide and fight. I could completely ignore trading, selling, buying, natives and spells.

Furthermore, the Dwarf only has 2 actions per day, making the game shorter. He can handle monsters well. Since I was not looking for treasures, I did not have to mess up the set up cards and I could get a lot of games with the same map and set up card, just rearranging the sound and warning chits on the map.

I tried the Woods Girl, White Knight and Amazon but none of those were as strong and easy as the Dwarf in solo play.

My now 6-year old enjoys helping me during the game and we have teamed up the Dwarf and White Knight a couple of times. No hiring, just the two of them slaying monsters. A lot of fun.

Around March of 2008, my basement flooded and I stopped playing Magic Realm until October. Around that time, I started reading the rules further and got familiar with hiring.

I then tried the White Knight hiring the Order. This is a very powerful combination. And, then the Black Knight hiring the Company. This is a fun, fun experience. Figuring out how to make the big army face the encounters, especially against natives, is challenging and rewarding.

I was still missing the spells. After reading further, I started slow. First the Pilgrim. This was a great game because there was hiring (O3), fighting monsters, natives and learning spells (I was lucky to find the Good Book). I did not get to cast my spell (Exorcize).

Since then I tried the Elf as a powerhouse, with the medium bow and the Woodfolk and, later, "stealthy" with Peace With Nature by himself. Then the Druid, frustrating. And lastly, the Witch with Absorb Essence - fun again.

Since I first got Magic Realm in February 2007, I have spent a fair amount of energy in learning and enjoying it. But, it has been worth every minute of it. I hope my story serves the purpose of being an example that learning Magic Realm is doable and worthwhile and mere mortals like myself can accomplish it.

A suggestion of how to learn Magic Realm:
- Read MRIPE up to page 42.
- Watch the Video Review.
- Read MRIPE again.
- Read Magic Realm Strategy for Beginners.
- Read Monsters And How to Kill Them.
- Play the Dwarf.

Other observations:
- You should have the "Third Edition Rules" because, ultimately, this the place that contains all the answers.
- "The Least You Need To Know To Play Magic Realm" is not a place to learn the game but is an excellent tool to use once you are playing the game to understand what happens when.
- After you got through the characters contained in the BSG, Arthwollipot's website (link found here at the game's page), has an excellent overview of each character, spell, native group with strategy hints.
- Realmspeak is a wonderful implementation of Magic Realm.
- The experienced players are incredibly helpful in answering questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations and welcome to a wonderful game! I enjoyed your article and would second just about everything you've recommended. The main point here is focus and persistence. This is not an "instant gratification" experience like a platform "twitch game," but a study that requires time and effort. You've applied both and it is a nice thing to see. For those wondering what all the fuss is about this game (brought wonderfully back to life via RealmSpeak), and if you like D&D-like fantasy dungeon crawls, you owe it to yourself to get on board!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Where do I find Magic Realm in plain english? Is it different then the 3rd and/or 2nd edition rules?

Thanks,
Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McKnight
United States
Needham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
medievalbanquet wrote:
Where do I find Magic Realm in plain english? Is it different then the 3rd and/or 2nd edition rules?

Thanks,
Andy

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/info/9357

This is the rules written in paragraph style rather than as numbered rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Steve. We live .5 miles away from each other!

Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McKnight
United States
Needham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
medievalbanquet wrote:
Thanks Steve. We live .5 miles away from each other!

Andy

I know. We've got to organize a Boston-area Magic Realm night!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squirrel Brown
Russia
flag msg tools
I start to learn a game to study the english in 2007 year,october. I try to translate the rules to the my native language. I think if i can do it then i can to play it. There is a wonderfull that game with this combat rule is very playable. Then i print hexes and chits and pieces and try to play a game. Its like me. This is a RPG game when players can cooperate or not, spying each other,suddenly betray with a complicated motivation...But some aspects of the game can not be explored in the solitare game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luiz Bayard Athayde
Brazil
Jundiai
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I will try to give the game another try... Its a difficult game, and, besides I have readed 3rd edition plus Read MRIPE up to page 42, and another friend too, our first try to play MR (6 players) was a plain fiasco
We just gave up after 4 hours, the game was really crawling

I admit we spent less time studing it than we should (well, I took more than 10 hours reading rules, etc). Well, what can I do? Back to the books!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
lbathayde wrote:
Hi,

I will try to give the game another try... Its a difficult game, and, besides I have readed 3rd edition plus Read MRIPE up to page 42, and another friend too, our first try to play MR (6 players) was a plain fiasco
We just gave up after 4 hours, the game was really crawling

I admit we spent less time studing it than we should (well, I took more than 10 hours reading rules, etc). Well, what can I do? Back to the books!

Luis,

Watch the video too. I would try playing it solo or as a 2-player game to get used to the rules.

O jogo e' muito massa!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It wasn't a rock
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bubslug wrote:
This is not an "instant gratification" experience like a platform "twitch game," but a study that requires time and effort.

Magic Realm
It's not a game -- It's a way of life

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
- Watch the Video Review.

Do you mean the video series from
Serious Gamer
United States
Apple Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.