Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shuffling my cards in protectors for the first time tonight... it was pretty difficult. You have to do it at an angle so you do not get them caught in each other and they stick together! Any advice for getting them not to stick together?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually shuffle them long side to long side. I'm OCD enough to keep the top slit of every card/sleeve pointing in the same direction too. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. You don't want to shuffle them normally (short end to short end) because the sleeves will split or get caught inside each other as you've discovered.

With some sleeves, you can cut the deck and push the two halves together (again long edge to long edge) and the different thickness between the edge of the sleeve and the middle acts as a sort of wedge that comes close to a good riffle shuffle.

If all else fails you can try the pile shuffle or the wash. With the pile shuffle, you just deal the cards into separate piles and stack the piles back into one deck. I'm not convinced this method really randomizes the cards, but some people think it's better than the riffle shuffle. The wash is where you spread all the cards out on the table and mix them up like you would with domino tiles. ... Now that I think about it, I've never done that with sleeves and don't know if that would have the same problems of sleeves trying to get inside other sleeves.

As far as stickyness, I have no clue. Is it particularly hot/humid where you are? Did something get on the sleeves?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also prefer to shuffle them long edge to long edge. I'll hold half of the pack loose in my left hand and let the other half merge between the loose sleeves as it slides out of my right hand. I'll do that five or six times an then break the pack into 5 smaller packs and restack the packs in a different order. Then I'll offer a cut.

I wouldn't do a wash and I like the idea of a pile shuffle, but haven't et tried it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's extremely easy. Just cut in half and then jam together. So so so easy. I really dont know why so many people have a hard time with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buy good protectors - the stiff, shiny kind. Cut the deck riffle/smush the two halves together long side first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughn Sandor
United States
Monroe Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The BBC series is far better than the excellent NBC one. Now go watch it.
badge
This is not me but I have been known to dance like David Brent on occasion.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the penny sleeves. I shuffle them long side to long side.

The only issue I have is when someone tries to fingernail/crush the card to pick it up off the table instead of just simply sliding it off the side of the table.

They do tend to stick in warm weather but a pile shuffle to seperate them all will take care of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vaughn wrote:
I have the penny sleeves. I shuffle them long side to long side.

The only issue I have is when someone tries to fingernail/crush the card to pick it up off the table instead of just simply sliding it off the side of the table.

They do tend to stick in warm weather but a pile shuffle to seperate them all will take care of that.

To pick up cards easily from a smooth tabletop, make a one time small investment in a piece of felt. (I use 24" x 24" for Dominion...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, side riffle is the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.