Mike West
United Kingdom
GUILDFORD
SURREY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was surprised by this one too.

My parents are big fans of going on cruises (they are 60+ now, so it's all the rage at that age i guess ) and while on a cruise, they were introduced to Sequence. They then bought a copy and every year i go down there now, we end up playing it. Now, to be honest, they could have picked a much worse game and being a fan of 5ive Straight i don't mind it too much as it is quite similar.

I recently got an email from my mum who asked me what game i would recommend for them to get for xmas so we can play, and i thought about it, and i got a bit stuck. So here i am asking the mighty wealth of knowledge known as BGG!

Before anyone recommends Dominion or Agricola (Which i'm sure someone will do just to spite me) here is a quick description of my parent's gaming habits:

Standard Card Games: In past Christmases we have played Whist, Nomination Whist/Oh Hell, Nap, Newmarket and Hearts. My dad also started playing bridge on cruises a couple of years ago. Funnily enough he never took any interest when i was Kent schools bridge champion

Party Games: We have sometimes played Pictionary in the past (hasn't everyone) and although most of us can't draw it ends up..ok...

221B Baker Street: My mum had a thing for this a few years ago, so i got her a copy, we played it a few times, but fell out of favour.

Sequence: Yes, the new must play game, most of their friends have bought it too now.

When she asked me what to get, you have to understand that they see me as some kind of highly competitive maths genius and they fear that anything i recommend will be far too complicated or difficult for them to play. With this in mind i am already going to take the following games down for xmas for them to try out (N.B. i'm catching the train, so these are small games!):

Apples To Apples
Citadels
Bohnanza

I think Mystery At The Abbey & Dos Rios will be too complicated and Liar's Dice too 'mathy'.

How about TTR, should i grab that too (and put up with lugging it in my backpack?)

As far as suggestions go, i pointed her at 5ive Straight and Rhienlander but she said both looked too complicated, even though i think Sequence has more rules than 5ive Straight.

Anyway, with that in mind, can anyone think of any good games that aren't complex, but are deep, my sister has asked them to get my nephew Zooloretto for xmas, so at least some of the family has the right idea!

Thanks in advance,

Mike........
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you are interested in a pure card game I'd recommend Tichu.

In the party game category have you played Wits & Wagers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Ninety-Nine for 3-4 with a standard deck. It's easy to teach to people familiar with Oh Hell and/or Hearts. Teaching the 3-player with number cards only is a little less disorienting, and you can omit the premium bid rules until everyone's comfortable with the basics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike West
United Kingdom
GUILDFORD
SURREY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Tichu, but i have played a computer version of Big Two which i've always assumed is basically the same card game?

Although Big Two is a good game, it doesn't add a lot to the table compared to other standard card games and i guess my feeling with Tichu is somewhat the same.

As far as Wits & Wagers goes, i've played the xbox 360 version (single player mind you to try it out) and that is very sterile indeed, i'm guessing it works a lot better vs human opponents.

That has reminded me of a game we used to play with some 19th C dictionaries my parents have, which is basically Balderdash, that always used to go down well, so perhaps some kind of word/party game might work?

(EDIT: Ninety Nine looks good actually, haven't heard of that and i'll give it a go. But again it's a game with standard cards, would be nice to find a new boardgame to try out, thanks though)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My parents are approaching 60, are not really gamers in any way, and I've recently introduced them to TtR w/1910 expansion. It's going over very well. It'll be awhile before I introduce anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike West
United Kingdom
GUILDFORD
SURREY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, actually, come to think of it i vaguely remember a rumour that my dad was a trainspotter when he was a kid (mind you it was all steam back then), perhaps TTR is worth the effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to throw a different game into the ring, my mother surprised me by playing and enjoying Samurai and Alhambra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandra Sherwood
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My parents are in their 70s and have always played games like gin, Canasta and Scrabble. We successfully introduced them to Ticket to Ride with the 1910 expansion, Ingenious, and Qwirkle. They also really liked 24/7: The Game, but that may be too "mathy."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I introduced Ticket to Ride to my mother-in-law and she loves it at age 62, she introduced it to her brother and sister and they love it 65 and 56. Then my mother-in-law introduced it to Her Mother-in-law age 84 and while I can not say she loves it, she will play it with us and will not really turn down a game.

Everyone but grandma bought a copy. They mostly played card games and Rummikub before this.

So I would give a vote for Ticket to Ride.

Or devil Rummikub devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to play a lot of bridge and Tichu makes me crazy. But it is a popular card game.

Dominion is pretty much just a card game, and a lot of debate has taken place about whether it's so simple it should be classed as a filler. So, don't rule this one out. Besides, if they hate it, you can keep it!

Saint Petersburg is very easy to understand, just very hard to play well. It's little more than a card game, but perhaps too dry.

For Sale and No Thanks! are simple card games. Also, 6 nimmt! Plus/Slide 5/Whatever they're calling it this week.

If you go TTR, I'd go Ticket to Ride: Europe: for slightly more rules you get a game where you aren't totally hosed if you don't make one route.

Even simpler train games are Trans Europa and TransAmerica which can be expanded (and radically changed) by Vexation. TE & TA are putting sticks on lines to connect cities. I have never seen anyone intimidated by it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Maesen
United States
Pacifica
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My parents are the same way. These are a few they liked.

Parlay
Ingenious
Rumis
2 player Blockus
Phase 10 Dice
Lost Cities
Mystery Rummy: Al Capone and the Chicago Underworld
Hive
Rummikub

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No Thanks! and Coloretto could work nicely.
I think showing up with a game that consists of a deck of simple cards and a few plastic chips AT MOST can never scare too many people off.
They're also a bit gambley/tactical like some other games you've mentioned.

Ingenious is a bit mathy but it's hella simple to explain and play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My own parents were quite keen on Settlers and Seafarers, actually. Coloretto went over big with family as well.

Bohnanza might work, if presented carefully, or Lost Cities for a two-player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
Australia
Kilsyth
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Tichu is a game that is 'difficult' to get from just reading the rules and works best if someone shows you how to play.

I think ticket to ride will work but it does take up a lot of space for a maybe.

I would go with some card games to begin with. If they are card game players then it is not such a big stretch, though they are playing sequence.

My votes would be with 6 nimmt and Wizard.

or for somthing a little different something in the 10 days series like...
10 Days in Africa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
My mom (77) liked Bohnanza, but the social aspect of it (2 people want the same card, who do I give it to) may cause problems in some families.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allison dlr
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My parents had real trouble picking up Settlers of Catan. It was an excruciating 3 hour + game - too many rules for them to remember, let alone work out a strategy. Subsequent attempts weren't much better. So I would stay away from any Euros involving long term planning/management of resources.

However, my Dad LOVED Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers. Each turn has very little decision making, and the end goal is very clear and easy to explain. As a bonus, it's a small(ish) box!

I think Ticket to Ride and Ingenious are also good choices. And Apples to Apples, although if it's the big box, that probably actually weighs more than Ticket to Ride.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
inga
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My parents play Tantrix a lot.

They also like Ingenious, Blokus, Ticket to Ride: Europe and Catan Card Game / Catan

Inga

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hunter
United Kingdom
Newcastle-under-Lyme
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Turn the Tide is a nice little card game filler with a bit of depth (pardon the pun).

Diamant or Unnamed Object might go down well very easy to learn and a great push your luck style game.

Other than that yes to Ticket to Ride and Bohnanza

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike West
United Kingdom
GUILDFORD
SURREY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies, i think my thoughts so far:

TTR: Europe is definately a yes.
Apples To Apples is definately a yes, i'm only going to take the cards and leave the box etc at home.
Bohnanza is a maybe.
Carcassone is a maybe.

Although the idea of abstracts might go down well, i'm going to be really selfish and say that i don't like them, so they aren't going to be introduced by me! yuk

For Sale could be a good idea though. and Lost Cities might work, but i'm trying to go more than 2 player.

Hmm, 10 Days in Africa could be perfect, my parents have safari-ed in South Africa more times than i can remember, the theme could be right up their street.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gothnak wrote:
...Lost Cities might work, but i'm trying to go more than 2 player.

Keltis was originally conceived as Lost Cities: the Board Game. Of course the theme has changed, but the mechanics have also been cleaned up so end scoring is easier. But, I haven't played it yet since it's not very available in the US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gothnak wrote:
can anyone think of any good games that aren't complex, but are deep

Gang of Four, or its big brother, Tichu
Coloretto
Sleuth
Word Blur (OK, this one's not so deep)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
red turtle wrote:
My votes would be with...Wizard.

or for somthing a little different something in the 10 days series like...
10 Days in Africa

These were the first two games I thought of...Wizard is an Oh Hell variant that scales very well up to 6 players. And the 10 Days in Africa game scales pretty well also, and would be a game that the 2 of them could enjoy by themselves after the holidays...

I'd also second the recommendations for For Sale and No Thanks!.

If you think Tichu might be a little too difficult for them to pick up quickly, you might want to take a look at Gang of Four...it has some similarities and is a tad easier to teach/learn, and can handle either 3 or 4 players...

Fairy Tale is a really nice and short card drafting game that might be worth a look...but it has a heavy fantasy theme/presentation that some folks might not care for...

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Liekens
Belgium
hechtel
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Although Bohnanza is a fantastic game, I would leave it out.

I'd rather suggest TTR (I don't like it, but my parents do and they're 60+)
May be you could also try Keltis. If they like cardgames then they will like it.
And off course 6 Nimmt, which is also popular in my family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Gothnak wrote:
I haven't played Tichu, but i have played a computer version of Big Two which i've always assumed is basically the same card game?

Although Big Two is a good game, it doesn't add a lot to the table compared to other standard card games and i guess my feeling with Tichu is somewhat the same.

Big Two and Tichu are based on the same fundamental concept, yes - they're both climbing games.

The places where Tichu deviates from Big Two are the places where Tichu shines, though. For one, Tichu is a partnership game, while Big Two is individual - the partner-assisting-play angles and the card-passing add a lot. For another, a lot of tension in Tichu is added with the 'calling Tichu' (where one makes a prediction before playing any cards that he will be the first to rid himself of all cards).

And Tichu is less of a headache in that there is no suit ordering like there is in Big Two - no need to remember "does that eight beat this eight?" - in Tichu, all cards of the same rank are equal. I also personally think the omission of the 'Flush' as a playable set is an improvement.

IMHO, to say Tichu is basically the same game as Big Two, is to say that Contract Bridge is basically the same game as Hearts. Sure, they're both trick-taking games for four using a standard 52 card deck ranked from 2-low to A-high, but the differences are huge.

Now, I don't necessarily think Tichu is the right game for your parents. Just that your assertion about it being "basically the same card game" as Big Two being way off. Hell, Big Two has an average rating here of 6.83 - Tichu's average rating is 7.78.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Franks
United Kingdom
St Blazey
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I Go!
This a rummy style game so will not be too far removed from what they feel comfortable with. It is small and good for two or more and easy to teach to fellow cruisers. It was the first game I got my parents into - they now play games every day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.