Popular Tags: [View All]
Who Am I Now?
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After seeing Tiggers' session report (Shortest game. EVAR!) earlier this week on the front page, I explored the Zombie in my Pocket game page, and downloaded the game file. One only needs to print three pages (1 page each of rules, cards, and tiles). A little cutting with a ruler and utility knife and I was ready for a test ride. A very simple little game, though it did raise a few questions which I'll post at the bottom.

My first try was remarkably similar to Tiggers' report. Starting in the foyer, the first room I explored was the Evil Temple, where I slipped in some nasty goo (health -1; now 5). I avoided wetting myself while locating the totem.

From the temple, I wandered into the Dining Room, where I battled four zombies using only my fists (health -3; now 2).

I proceeded immediately to the Patio, when I remembered I had a candy bar in my pocket: I savored the incredible Dove milk chocolate (health +1; now 3).

From dim light of the patio, I wandered into the garden, where I came across three zombie farmers (see postscript). It was all I could do to avoid being planted myself (health -2; now 1). I helped myself to some fresh produce (health +1; now 2). I was wounded and in pain, and it took time to steel my nerves; cowering in the dark (health +3; now 5).

Finally, resolved to see this through, I continued to the graveyard, where I felt my body shiver. In the distance, I heard the peel of a church bell striking 10:00. I began to dig as quickly as I could, when three zombies burst from nearby graves, trying to send me to my own (health -2; now 3). After sending them back to their long sleep, I was able to bury the evil totem. In the distance, I thought I could hear a scream carried on the wind.

[It took longer to write the above report than to actually play the game, so I decided to try again.]

Passing through the arched passage from the foyer, I found myself in the kitchen, where three zombies were cooking up some foul-smelling concoction. After dispatching them (health -2; now 4), I tasted the dark, oily broth, and was surprised by a sudden sense of vigor (health +1; now 5). I opened a door to find the bathroom, and I remember thinking: "how could four zombies hide quietly in this small space?" (health -3; now 2). After they were completely washed up (out?), I returned to the kitchen.

Well, in the short time I spent in the bathroom, apparently four new zombie chefs showed up. I quickly ran back into the bathroom (-1 health; now 1), bolting the door and hiding in the bathtub, shaking uncontrollably (health +3; now 4).

Sensing I was spending too much time dilly-dallying, I burst back into the kitchen, hoping (successfully) that I would avoid peeing myself. The other door lead me to the Evil Temple, where I slipped on some nasty goo (health -1; now 3). While looking for the totem, I came across a can of soda, the tower bell striking 10:00 in the distance. I quickly drank it (health +2, now 5), and pocketed the totem.

Leaving the temple, I found myself at a dead end in the storage room, where a bat pooped in my eye (health -1; now 4). I found a grisly femur (+1 attack; now 2) just before three zombies burst through a blank wall. In the resulting battle, that femur gave me a real "leg up" (health -1; now 3). Again, I found myself cowering in the corner (health +3; now 6), afraid to explore the dark hole left by the zombies passage through the wall.

Struggling against the terror, I forced myself through the opening, where I found myself in the Family Room. Seeing "The Family Guy" playing on the telly, I felt a spark of hope (health +1; now 7). Stepping through to the Dining Room, four more zombies were looking to serve me (to each other). Swinging my spare femur like a madman, I drove them away (health -2; now 5).

I stepped out to the Patio, where I could sense my impending doom (-1 health; now 4), as the tower bell struck 11:00. I thought: "I've got to get this over!"

I quietly approached a sitting area, where SIX zombies hung around, bitching about something. I heard screams of "Tastes great!", and "Less filling!" before they sensed my presence. Knowing I could not survive their onslaught if discovered, I slinked back to the Patio, scratching myself in a thorn bush (health -1; now 3).

I struck off in another direction, to find myself in the Yard. I tasted something icky in my mouth (-1 health; now 2). That oily broth was better the first time. I cowered under the swingset (health +3; now 5), sensing that my time is running out, so it's fortunate that my next discovery was the Graveyard.

Atop a headstone, I found a(nother) can of soda (product placement available here for a small fee), drinking it while listening closely for the peal of the bell that would seal my doom (health +2; now 7). It did not ring. I buried the totem, smelling blood in the air. In the distance, the dust of disintegrating zombies was carried by the wind.

A short time later (one card left), the bell sounded midnight.

Postscript (Questions):

1) It isn't directly addressed in the rules I downloaded, but I assumed that you did NOT have to draw for your starting position in the foyer (the first draw would be when you leave the foyer. Is this correct?

2) I think zombie farmers might make Agricola sufficiently appealing to give it another try. Do you agree?

zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for giving the game a try, and for the great session report. There haven't been many session reports lately, so it's nice to see another.

mmolus wrote:
1) It isn't directly addressed in the rules I downloaded, but I assumed that you did NOT have to draw for your starting position in the foyer (the first draw would be when you leave the foyer. Is this correct?
You are correct.

mmolus wrote:
2) I think zombie farmers might make Agricola sufficiently appealing to give it another try. Do you agree?
Well, I own Agricola (and have for months now), and haven't given it a try yet. So perhaps zombie farmers would indeed be enough to make me give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Nothing pithy comes to mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Two games and two wins! I must be doing something wrong. It seems I always get lost in the house for so long I don't have time to find the graveyard. Three times I have gotten fairly close (once even to the graveyard) but die anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Menzel
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
Missed it by that much ...
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I don't feel so bad . . . I've gone 8 for 8 as zombie bait, still trying to win one zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.