Popular Tags: [View All]
G. Gambill
United States
Shawnee on Delaware
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, lets assume I'm the CIA. I played my deputy director. During the course of the hand, I get the feeling that the KGB is trying to throw the hand and lose the objective (I smell a master spy!), so if I put myself over the stability number within my hand limit, my opponent claims the objective, and since claiming the objective is a loss for the master spy, he is forced to give the objective to me, or does it goes to the bottom of the objective deck? If either of these ideas works, then the Deputy Director could be the perfect counter card to the master spy. Wheels within wheels as they say. I'd love to hear any thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Geofrey,

No, I don't think the Deputy Director is a good counter for the Master Spy, as casuing Civil Unreast immediately gives your opponent the current Objective, even before Phase 5: Debriefing.

See the following rules quote, emphasis mine:

Cold War Rules wrote:
Any player whose Influence total exceeds the objective's Stability causes civil disorder. When this happens, the indiscriminate 12 Agent X's superiors disavow all knowledge and abandon their agent to his doom. That Agent X's identity is revealed and the agent is terminated (i.e., removed from the game). Furthermore, that player's opponent immediately claims the objective. The exception is the Deputy Director, who, rather than being terminated, instead returns immediately to his headquarters.

So when you get to Phase 5: Debriefing, The Master Spy's power is moot, as his side has already claimed the Objective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rakoto
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
In fact, Master Spy can be countered by any agent: If you're sure that your opponent is playing the Master Spy, try to get the lowest Influence points, so you lose, so you claim the objective.

This way you don't need to play Master Spy yourself: Let your opponent plays it for you to win !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.