jay white
Canada
Bowen Island
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The title says it all. I'm a big time wargamer. In the past, my father and I have played a tonne of chess - so much so, that we have a trophy that gets passed and forth to the winner of the majority of games we play during a single visit.

My dad is a huge WWII historian, so last year I bought him Memoir '44, and he loves it! He often forgets details of the rules (i.e. how many dice a tank uses when firing from a city, etc), but it's easy enough to remind him on a turn-by-turn basis.

My big question - is Conflict of Heroes more complicated than Memoir '44? If so, how much more complicated? Are there a lot of exceptions in the rules (i.e. tanks can do THIS, unless X, Y, and Z)?

I suppose the best way for me to answer these questions is to test drive the game at a local game store, but I thought I'd ask here as well.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, but it's pretty certain that he will like Tide of Iron.

Phil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is more complicated. There are quite a few little details that come into play every time a counter moves. The game really gives you w wide variety of options and the problem is not always remembering hom to execute those options, but that you have them in the first place. Our first few turns took quite a while, but after the first game we were pretty comfortable with them. The manual is set up to slowly introduce the concepts in each scenario so you're not overwhelmed.

When my friend and I play we try and remind each other of the rules we might be forgetting. For example, when my friend announces a move I'll ask him if he's moving cautiosly or not. When he moves he'll ask if I want to react.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay white
Canada
Bowen Island
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info, guys. I think Tide of Iron is a better bet. Thanks for mentioning it - I never would have looked otherwise.

I'm a longtime ASL player, and I'm trying to nudge my dad closer into that direction. In doing so, I'm beginning to discover a bunch of newer tactical games that are starting to make ASL feel clunky and dated...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.