Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding tile placement, the rules read:
Quote:
New expanses of water may not be formed. Water must always be connected to existing water to form a single sea.

What is considered a "new expanse of water"? I would have thought that the tile in the forefront in image http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/105387 violated the rule above, but I'm now wondering... So, is a "new expanse of water" a closed sea? or simply water which is not connected to the rest of the sea? I don't have any rulebook with pictures (I got a used copy without rulebook): any help would be much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think you understand it right, and the picture you show does violate the rule. You should always be able to get anywhere by going over water without having to touch land.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
Salut Eric!

It's been a long time since I played Hellas, but you are both right, the tile in that picture does violate the rule. Water in added tiles has to be in contact with the existing sea. And I just checked the rules, to be sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a question i knew.. but beaten to it yes.. image is wrong and you are right. as above & great little game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for clearing this up! BoardGameGeeks are great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maitre Sinh
France
Marseille
Provence
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
désolé mais je n'ai toujours pas saisi - sorry but i still do not understand.

i thought "new sea" or "open sea" was an area of sea at the opposite of land. Not clear at all for me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maitresinh wrote:
désolé mais je n'ai toujours pas saisi - sorry but i still do not understand.

i thought "new sea" or "open sea" was an area of sea at the opposite of land. Not clear at all for me...
In other words, the rule I quoted in the original post is equivalent to saying that all the blue parts (sea) should be connected together to the Dolphin tile. Thus, the tile in the lower right corner of the image I referred to violates the rules: it should not be there, as its sea part is not connected to the Dolphin through sea parts. Does this help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maitre Sinh
France
Marseille
Provence
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, it's obvious that this tile is violating the rules because the sea part is completly deconnected from others, and clearly "opening" a new sea

BUT what if you open partially a new sea ? I mean, with an island for exemple, or with a tile connected correctly but with one sea face ( maybe 2) " outside" ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maitresinh wrote:
BUT what if you open partially a new sea ? I mean, with an island for exemple, or with a tile connected correctly but with one sea face ( maybe 2) " outside" ?
You cannot open a new sea, even "partially". Does this answer your questions? An island does not create any new sea (since its waters must be connected to the rest of the sea). A tile correctly connected but with sea parts "outside" would create disconnected ("outside") sea bodies, which is not allowed. If this does not answer your question, a picture would help!

Another way of understanding the rule is that a ship should be able to go from any blue part to any other blue part through sea faring, in the constructed map.

[Edit: boat->ship]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maitre Sinh
France
Marseille
Provence
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
Another way of understanding the rule is that a boat should be able to go from any blue part to any other blue part through sea faring, in the constructed map.

Here we are, that's perfect, merci.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.