United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, huge props to everyone who worked to make this con such a success. I saw so many people volunteering both visibly (our great game librarian volunteers) and behind the scenes (working away in the con office printing new badges and such). Thanks so much for doing this; I had a great time.

That said, there's always room for improvement, so I thought I'd start a thread for suggestions for next year. So please, everyone, post away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse McGatha
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Registration
Two things on registration:

1) So many people are showing up the evening before, I think it would be really good to offer registration starting the evening before. It would really help with the rush.

2) Please, please, please disconnect the door prizes from registration. Some people cannot show up to the con until the weekend. It adds to the artificial, crushing rush to get registered. It inherently benefits those who are willing to stand in line the longest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Next year's con should be closer to the UK.
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
woodnoggin wrote:
Next year's con should be closer to the UK.
Thanks.

You're in luck. The hotel announced plans to annex the sidewalk to the east, so your wish is granted!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt K
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I pretty much loved everything about the Con.

It was great that the hotel provided food after some negociating. My feedback would be to have them offer different food each day instead of the same BBQ sandwich both days. I realize that this may have been the only thing they could come up with on short notice. It sounds like they had enough business to continue offering food each day. Without that, I may have starved.

Also, it would be even nicer if we could charge that food to our rooms instead of having to fork over cash, which I rarely carry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Con was great for me too. My one complaint was that the red outline font for the first names on badges was really difficult to read. A minor thing, but there you go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Needs to be much more centralized in location. Or just have multiple versions of it around the country. Otherwise it ends up being FAR too expensive for most potential attendees.

Nuff said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ellingson
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phrim wrote:
The Con was great for me too. My one complaint was that the red outline font for the first names on badges was really difficult to read. A minor thing, but there you go.

I agree. In fact, while the font the names were in was pretty, it was a poor choice for readability. It would be better to use a sans serif font that is more readable. Think like highway signs, were readability from a distance is important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ellingson
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Needs to be much more centralized in location. Or just have multiple versions of it around the country. Otherwise it ends up being FAR too expensive for most potential attendees.

Nuff said.

Dallas seems like a fairly centralized location for the continental US. Besides, since the primary organizer is in Dallas, it is far easier for him to organize it local. It is unfortunate that it is a fair distance, but Dallas is much closer to the West Coast than any of the other major conventions are (GenCon, Origins, and WBC).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Logan
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a great time at the convention. It is really an impressively run operation and well worth the cost of attending.

I don't forsee the convention moving out of Dallas anytime soon. Transporting the game library is already a massive undertaking and it only has to go ~60 miles now. Dragging it to another major city would be a tremendous burden.

I echo the nametag font thing. Also making them double sided to combat the dreaded twist inclination might not hurt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
klellingson wrote:
Phrim wrote:

I agree. In fact, while the font the names were in was pretty, it was a poor choice for readability. It would be better to use a sans serif font that is more readable. Think like highway signs, were readability from a distance is important.

This needs to be quoted and said again. Even once I knew someone's name I sometimes still had problems reading it.

Simple black on white in a clear font. It's not creative, it's not striking, but it works.

Other than that one minor thing I have few complaints about the con. It was a fantastic time and I hope that next year I'll be able to get in on Thursday instead of Friday to maximize my gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ellerbe
United States
Port Royal
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I found it more difficult to join or start a pickup game this year. It appeared that more people (probably locals or game groups that traveled together) were playing with people they knew. That's a very good thing, it only meant that I had to walk around a lot more to find a game. In previous years, some of the convention workers helped with game startups. Otherwise, I thought everything went exceptionally well and the staff was very helpful. See you next year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:

Nuff said.

I can't say I agree with you here. I completely understand the drive to have it in Dallas. I have helped plan conferences in the past and it is no small potatoes. The amount of effort that goes into making an event look effortless is huge. The Dallas crew did a stand up job. I flew in from Canada and would not think about recommending a venue change. They got some serious con mojo working and I applaud the efforts of everyone involved. Dallas is a reasonable location, it is a airline hub, and it makes it logistically easier for the stellar group of organizers / volunteers. Pony up the airfare if it is important to you, many others did.

Oh yes, the font on the badges coule be improved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like it if the con sold a pack of GG coupons (say $1 for 5 1-GG coupons, or some other rate that is below the going GG exchange rate). I would buy a pack or two and hand out a GG to anybody who took the time to teach me rules or was an exceptionally good sport in a game.

I suppose somebody could abuse that and buy an avatar for $6 or a microbadge for $3 so maybe you put a cap on how many each person could buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really liked the "hot games" room. I was afraid that there would be a huge mob in there waiting for the hottest games, but that wasn't the case at all. I think this was alleviated by several vendors having copies of Le Havre, Battlestar Galactica, and Ghost Stories.

A suggestion for next year: a "teachers requested" board. If you want to play a game but don't know the rules, you write the name of your game on the board and the location of your game. Anyone who is willing to teach that game can check off the game and find you at your location.

I think most people are happy to teach, but we might give each attendee a supply of "thanks for teaching" cards, which can be given to each teacher. Collecting these cards can be turned in for a prize (geekgold?) at the end of the Con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff morales
United States
Near Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Lets Eat!
badge
I also live
mbmbmbmbmb
ffyoyo wrote:

I echo the nametag font thing. Also making them double sided to combat the dreaded twist inclination might not hurt.

Or...put 2 holes on the tag (opposite sides of the top of the tag) to attach the lanyard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
gamellerbe wrote:
I found it more difficult to join or start a pickup game this year. It appeared that more people (probably locals or game groups that traveled together) were playing with people they knew. That's a very good thing, it only meant that I had to walk around a lot more to find a game. In previous years, some of the convention workers helped with game startups. Otherwise, I thought everything went exceptionally well and the staff was very helpful. See you next year!

For me, this was the exact opposite this year. The Essen Room made it easier than ever to find a game: lift a game box, walk with it to the lobby, and you'll get a game in a couple of minutes.

I think that the most games I played with any was person was 5, and that was across multiple days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
utoption2 wrote:
1) Hotel nearly ran out of hot water on Friday (was still lukewarm at 5 pm on Friday)

To be fair, who woulda thought that a hotel full of gamers would have a problem with hot showers...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes! wrote:
utoption2 wrote:
1) Hotel nearly ran out of hot water on Friday (was still lukewarm at 5 pm on Friday)

To be fair, who woulda thought that a hotel full of gamers would have a problem with hot showers...?

The hotel ran out of hot water?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
MWChapel wrote:
Holmes! wrote:
utoption2 wrote:

The hotel ran out of hot water?

That's what some folks was sayin'. It took a little while to get hot for me, but wasn't a problem. I'm an early riser, though. In other words: blame me for using up the good water! I have always had a problem with standing half awake under the hot water for fifteen minutes before I remember that I'm supposed to be washing up...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
I had my own set of issues with the hotel itself:
-On wednesday night, my server at the hotel restaurant refused to honor the 10% off, and the kitchen couldn't get the order right.
-On friday, they screwed up the order again. Also, the room's TV broke.
-On saturday, the room lock broke, and they couldn't fix it before sunday morning. My wife and I had to sleep in a different room. All they did was comp sunday's breakfast. Just a meal for being locked out of my room for 10 hours?
-On sunday, during breakfast, they ignored us for 15 minutes, took my cocoa order wrong, refused to admit it was wrong (We just added a shot of caramel you never asked for, what's wrong with that?) Only after some serious badgeting they admitted it was wrong, but they refused to just take it back altogether, and asked to replace it. As we were leaving, they also claimed that I was not supposed to get a free breakfast, because I had a con badge! I had to get a manager to check that yes, my room had been awarded free breakfast.

So I'm seriously considering having to ignore Aldie's pleas for staying at the con hotel next time, since the con hotel seemed to screw up at every step, seemed uninterested in fixing the problems promptly, and every one of their solutions was half assed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
ffyoyo wrote:
Also making them double sided to combat the dreaded twist inclination might not hurt.

Anonymity is golden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Somebody wrote:
Anonymity is golden.

Who said that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
junesen wrote:

A suggestion for next year: a "teachers requested" board. If you want to play a game but don't know the rules, you write the name of your game on the board and the location of your game. Anyone who is willing to teach that game can check off the game and find you at your location.

I think most people are happy to teach, but we might give each attendee a supply of "thanks for teaching" cards, which can be given to each teacher. Collecting these cards can be turned in for a prize (geekgold?) at the end of the Con.

Aldie might be able to load that into the checkout system with the cell numbers of the volunteering teachers so when you checkout you can request a teacher or maybe place a board in the library or nearby of folks willing to teach and what games they will teach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cheng
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The convention rooms were nice as usual, but the hotel service was deplorable. The most complaint I've heard was having to shell out money for internet connection that was unreliable, and people were told to call the provider themselves when they brought the issue to the management.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.