Subject: Cost? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Z-Man edition for this is just out in the UK and I would have to say it looks very expensive (£35-£40) for what you get in the box - less than 200 tiles, a board, rules and some reference cards. I don't usually associate Z-Man with inflated prices and I don't think it's just a facet of the fall of sterling (though I'm sure that hasn't helped) as the price looks high in the US as well.

It's more expensive than Dominion which comes with 500 playing cards - around 8 decks of custom cards - and not far off Agricola which is stuffed full of cards, tiles, and wooden meeples.

I've been waiting for Neuroshima for a while but I'm not sure I'm prepared to strech to that sort of cost for so little by way of components. Am I missing something about what is included that is making this so expensive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
You know the tiles are gold plated, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
You know the tiles are gold plated, right?

Ah - so this is the special collectors edition with the solid platinum board and the hexes inlaid using rubies. I suppose that might be worth the asking price, so the standard cardboard edition should come in at £18-20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I paid $35 usd for it at my local shop, which discounts games about 30 percent. It definitely suffers from an oversized box, and once you get everything punched out it doesn't look like a ton of components. I guess that in the back of my mind it felt a lot cheaper than the import version ($70) and I sort of assumed that prices were going up across the board due to rising oil costs. Fortunately, now that oil is cheap again I'm sure the prices will dip downwards in response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Galli
Italy
Como
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You seem reasoning like my brother.
"A game is only worth the money you spent if it contains a lot of components, better with miniatures".
I just think that a game is worth buying, beside the price, if it is nice to play, have an high replayability and never bores you.
I have spent 75€ to get Neuroshima Hex and Babel 13, I must assure you I have never spent money on a boardgame in a better way.
Remember, when you buy a game you don't buy only the components in it, you buy the game concept, the idea, a balanced system and a lot of fun.
Other games could not be able to give you the same feeling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.