Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Titan» Forums » Rules

Subject: A Warlock ate my Titan's Lunch... Again! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Walter
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Warlock seems to be the early game über-being in both games I’ve played so far. At least that is what my dead Titans tell me. I want to be sure we are playing them correctly and have the following questions.

Can one player possess all the Warlocks at one time? In the games I’ve played it seems like one lucky player keeps rolling sixes and teleporting from Tower to Tower, mustering a new Warlock each time. I think this is legal… cruel but legal.

Can a Warlock range strike in a straight line past a friendly, and then past an enemy to shoot another enemy at maximum range? Again I think this is legal, but it is such a powerful weapon I wanted to confirm it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
al the pal wrote:
Can one player possess all the Warlocks at one time? In the games I’ve played it seems like one lucky player keeps rolling sixes and teleporting from Tower to Tower, mustering a new Warlock each time. I think this is legal… cruel but legal.


Sure. It's only one legion, though. Run away from it. Warlocks are powerful, but they don't get any stronger as the game goes on, so if your opponent is chasing you, and not catching you, then you're gradually gaining in strength relative to him.

I don't want to imply the strategy is not strong, many games will be dominated by warlocks. On the other hand, I've seen people get a serpent in the first 10 turns, and that is a pretty tough legion also. A key to success at Titan is not giving up when you're behind. (Another key to success is crushing your opponents quickly and effectively when you're ahead!)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Look there is a decent chance that someone in a game will roll a '6' and get a warlock. But 2 warlocks in a row is unlikely. And 3 or 4 in a row is extremely unlikely. If this is happening in every game, check your opponent's dice.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Fuegi
United States
Framingham
MA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
al the pal wrote:
The Warlock seems to be the early game über-being in both games I’ve played so far. At least that is what my dead Titans tell me. I want to be sure we are playing them correctly and have the following questions.


Also, just making sure. You do know Warlocks only get 2 dice when rangestriking right? You aren't having them roll 5 or something?

They are very powerful (and in the early game unbalanced with the other pieces people can recruit) but they don't get better while the other pieces do so they can eventually be beaten by other stacks. And they are quite hard to get.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Walter
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Also, just making sure. You do know Warlocks only get 2 dice when rangestriking right? You aren't having them roll 5 or something?


We got that rule right. The Warlock got 2 hits at range and then 4 hits in melee after it moved in close during its next turn. I could have avoided this with better management of my other creatures or if I had remembered to summon an angel (I forgot to do so at the proper time and missed that chance).

I am loving the game and hope to get a play in with my three brother-in-laws on Thanksgiving... when I'll be thankful to stay away from Warlocks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Six or more hits in seven rolls is only an 8-in-128 (6.25%) chance, or a little better than 1-in-20. If the Warlock only got one rangestrike and one melee strike. If this was the case, your opponent got lucky. If it was two melee strikes, though, your opponent got exactly the median roll.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
al the pal wrote:
We got that rule right. The Warlock got 2 hits at range and then 4 hits in melee after it moved in close during its next turn. I could have avoided this with better management of my other creatures or if I had remembered to summon an angel (I forgot to do so at the proper time and missed that chance).


Why were you attacking his warlocks with your titan legion? Like I said, you should generally be running away from them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never seen anyone possess all the warlocks and their titan in one legion.It is like david said that the longer you avoid the warlock stack you should be getting stronger than that stack anyway.A warlock/titan legion will have trouble mustering other creatures even if it does win a battle and get an angel because the only way for it to muster other creatures is to get into the tower and get an centaur,ogre,or gargoyle but by then the gargoyles might be useless as the cyclops can run out pretty quick in a 4 player or more game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Walter
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Why were you attacking his warlocks with your titan legion? Like I said, you should generally be running away from them.


Like I said it was my second time playing... a newbie mistake. Maybe I can blame it on the free Titan minatures? They stare at me from the sidelines and force me attack impetuously.

So after your "several hundred plays" worth of experience, can a Warlock shoot through a friendly and a enemy to hit a second enemy at maximum range?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
al the pal wrote:
So after your "several hundred plays" worth of experience, can a Warlock shoot through a friendly and a enemy to hit a second enemy at maximum range?


Sure. Are the Valley Games rules not clear? I haven't seen the final rules, but the "near-final" rules posted on BGG say:

The range strike of a Warlock is never blocked or affected by the presence of hazards or characters. Warlocks may Rangestrike four hexes with no reduction in their Skill factor.

This is exactly the same statement that appears in the Avalon Hill rules.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Johnson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
So can Warlocks Rangestrike even when in contact with the enemy? 12.6 seems to imply that, but it doesn't seem to gel with the rest of the rangestriking section NOT singling that out as something special. The Warlock-ally-enemy-other enemy sequence I understand, but does it still work with Warlock-enemy-ally-enemy, or some similar situation, assuming a straight line for the sake of clarity?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
GoogleShoes wrote:
So can Warlocks Rangestrike even when in contact with the enemy? 12.6 seems to imply that...


from VG rulebook :
12.6 Lords (Titans, Angels, and Archangels) are immune to Rang-
estrikes from any character except the Warlock. The range strike
of a Warlock is never blocked or affected by the presence of haz-
ards or characters. Warlocks may Rangestrike four hexes with no
reduction in their Skill factor. However, a Warlock’s movement
and conventional strikes are subject to the normal effects of
the presence of hazards and characters. Warlocks cannot Rang-
estrike when in contact with an opposing character.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Walter
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
al the pal wrote:
So after your "several hundred plays" worth of experience, can a Warlock shoot through a friendly and a enemy to hit a second enemy at maximum range?


Sure. Are the Valley Games rules not clear? I haven't seen the final rules, but the "near-final" rules posted on BGG say:

The range strike of a Warlock is never blocked or affected by the presence of hazards or characters. Warlocks may Rangestrike four hexes with no reduction in their Skill factor.

This is exactly the same statement that appears in the Avalon Hill rules.


That is how reading it as well and wanted to be sure before I teach the game to the extended family this weekend. I taught my 11 year old Titan last night and he loved it. Thank you for helping us newer players out, David!

Another question, on average how often do you find that Engagements are resolved through mutual agreement and not combat? One out of every three or four times? Any words of wisdom on this aspect of the game?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Fight all the combat out until you get a feel for the relative strengths of the creatures, then you should start fleeing when you are in a pointless combat. For example, 2 basics aren't going to do much to a 7 high stack. Fighting that stack might make it much more powerful since it could leave 2 basics off the board, then recruit and summon an angel. So you start learning when to fight and when not to fight. BTW, you are almost always going to fight when one of you lords is attacked.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Johnson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I am an idiot, incapable of reading a paragraph to its end. Thank you for correcting my error. Now I will go and find a hole to die in...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
al the pal wrote:

Another question, on average how often do you find that Engagements are resolved through mutual agreement and not combat? One out of every three or four times? Any words of wisdom on this aspect of the game?


In my games almost never. Generally you want to either flee or fight. Occasionally you might concede for full points to deny something (most commonly an archangel).
I can see people negotiating when they have a lord in order to speed up things up (though almost always someone is getting below expected value). However negotiating in preference to fleeing is typically a bad idea.

Players can also make nonbinding deals in battles to help each other, though that is going to be frowned upon in most groups.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
al the pal wrote:
Another question, on average how often do you find that Engagements are resolved through mutual agreement and not combat? One out of every three or four times?


When I play, pretty much never. At least half of engagements, the defender just flees. That's usually the thing to do if you have no chance to win. If you have enough of a chance to win that it's worth fighting, then generally you would rather fight and try to win than make a deal that ensures you lose.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of warlocks, do they lose a skill point when using rangestrikes up a tower?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Fuegi
United States
Framingham
MA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
drmabuse00 wrote:
Speaking of warlocks, do they lose a skill point when using rangestrikes up a tower?


No, absolutely nothing in the game hurts a warlock rangestrike. Just ignore terrain. If not engaged and within range, warlocks get 2 skill 4 dice.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.