Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel dumb, but i don't get the "flavour" of this game: the game description on the site is no helpful, and the play session don't help me. Maybe it is 'cause the foreign language.... this is the first game i'm looking to see if i may want to buy that does not allow me to understand what kind of game is.

Any help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes and yes

There are solo and cooperative rules for multiple players (not everyone need take part in every flight). It's primarily a campaign game - there's some detail in the individual missions, but not much - akin to the Hornet Leader II series, which is clearly it's direct forefather.

I like the look of it myself, but haven't played yet. I bought the pre-printed version of the Mediterranean supplement - which was a mistake! The aircraft data cards & equipment counters need to be printed in colour, on card - both games require a lot of printing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, if i understand you, this is not the kind of game i can pull out on my weekly tuesday game party and says "today we will fight in planes" (as a squadron or as enemies), but instead it is a "support" for the VBEM campaigns.... am i right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
parduz wrote:
So, if i understand you, this is not the kind of game i can pull out on my weekly tuesday game party and says "today we will fight in planes" (as a squadron or as enemies), but instead it is a "support" for the VBEM campaigns.... am i right?

No, it's completely stand-alone, but the point of it is the running and maintenance of a squadron of aircraft - each mission is simply another step toward this goal. If you don't know Hornet Leader, take a look at the BGG page for that. It's certainly not a fast-action combat game - well, each combat is fast action, but also short - and takes longer to set up than to resolve. It's a resource management game with jet aircraft and lots of explosions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically in this game you control a company that has mercenary pilots (hence the name). Each of the pilots has some stats which dictate how good he is and the role he should have on the mission.

Now, the players can either play co-operatively, with all of them belonging in the same company and each player controlling a pilot, or competitively with each one having his own company with many pilots at his disposal. One can also try it solo, just running his own company.

I don't find a problem in pulling it once every now and then and giving it a try, however in order for the game to shine you should probably devote a few sessions to it since after every mission the players get money and experience which help them buy new aircrafts/weapons and take on more dangerous missions. (You could say that from that aspect it is similar to a RPG although it is not that kind of game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Lewis
United States
West Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
designer
Victory By Any Means
badge
"Fear God and Dread Nought"
mbmbmbmbmb
As has already been mentioned by Wulf and Vangelis, the correct answer is: all of the above. Most of the playtesting was either solo or cooperatively, though we actually had more fun with each player running his own squadron and flying joint missions than as individual pilots within the same squadron. If you run into some trouble early on, having some help can be useful.

Basically, the tools are there for you to play the kind of game you want within the overall context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.