Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Schneider
United States
Lyons
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to re-list some unsold items and here is what i got...

"Attention!
You are currently restricted from listing new items because your detailed seller ratings (DSRs) are below the minimum performance standard for sellers.

Sellers are required to maintain a rating of at least 4.1 on each DSR to sell on eBay. Sellers with one or more DSR below 4.1 will be restricted from listing until their DSRs improve. Additionally, sellers with one or more DSR below 4.3 may be subject to lowered standing in search results.

Although you won't be able to list items as long as your DSRs are below 4.1, you will still be able to complete any open transactions, access your account, bid or purchase items, and communicate with your trading partners.

If you are attempting to list a car, truck or other vehicle, you may do so by visiting eBay Motors directly at: motors.ebay.com

Please note that sellers who are not in good standing are not allowed to register new accounts. Also, another existing eBay account cannot be used to avoid buying and selling restrictions or other policy consequences.

You can find more information on the Seller Non-Performance Policy page or the FAQ page. Find out more information on how to improve your DSRs on the Seller Feedback page.

This is crazy. I have over 900 positive feedback and 1 negative feedback that's almost a year old. You know those stars that buyers can click on to give you feedback, well you can't let any of them get below 4.1. 4.1!!!!!!!!! Out of 5 "stars. Feedback is very subjective. I can't believe the crap Ebay is coming to!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
So, how are you supposed to improve those ratings if you're barred from selling anything on eBay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't been following the news, eBay is trying to get out of the auction business. They are pushing everyone to store listings and BIN sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something doesn't add up here. What is your userID? How did you get such crappy DSR number?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Schneider
United States
Lyons
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Something doesn't add up here. What is your userID? How did you get such crappy DSR number?

My user ID is David229

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Schneider
United States
Lyons
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
So, how are you supposed to improve those ratings if you're barred from selling anything on eBay?

That's what I would like to know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gallo22 wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

My user ID is David229

That 3.9 / 5 from 58 ratings on shipping time is a killer. The 4.4 / 5 from 58 ratings on shipping charges also doesn't help your case.

Not passing judgement, but your buyers appear to be telling you that your shipping costs are too high and it takes way too long for the product to get into their hands. Not sure if this is true, but why would they have to lie?

To be fair, the DSRs are a much better indicator of performance rather than the raw feedback #, because you really have to screw the pooch in order to get a negative feedback, which you don't have many as a seller, but people are more likely to tell the truth on the DSRs.

Most likely what you are facing is an OK transaction that was marred by shipping time, and sometimes price. If your shipping/handling charges are high, and if the package doesn't arrive right after the buyer presses the Pay button, I could see why they would be likely to rip you on these two DSR categories.

Perhaps you can use a better, faster carrier, if that's the problem. Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Schneider
United States
Lyons
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Gallo22 wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

My user ID is David229

That 3.9 / 5 from 58 ratings on shipping time is a killer. The 4.4 / 5 from 58 ratings on shipping charges also doesn't help your case.

Not passing judgement, but your buyers appear to be telling you that your shipping costs are too high and it takes way too long for the product to get into their hands. Not sure if this is true, but why would they have to lie?

To be fair, the DSRs are a much better indicator of performance rather than the raw feedback #, because you really have to screw the pooch in order to get a negative feedback, which you don't have many as a seller, but people are more likely to tell the truth on the DSRs.

Most likely what you are facing is an OK transaction that was marred by shipping time, and sometimes price. If your shipping/handling charges are high, and if the package doesn't arrive right after the buyer presses the Pay button, I could see why they would be likely to rip you on these two DSR categories.

I usually only charge actual shipping plus delivery confirmation. That's it.

I think what a lot of the problem is, is that buyers and seller don't realize how the "star" system works. I personally only give 4 stars to sellers unless it was outstanding service, then I give 5 "stars". If everyone who buys only gives 4 stars (that an 80%) then seller will be droping like flys. Their system makes no sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Morris
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly the new system that eBay has put in to screw sellers amazes me. I'm not a seller (I buy lots of single minis through eBay), but if I was I'd just give up.

A seller can't give a negative feedback any longer, the new rating system is ugly to use, a pain and in some cases way too restrictive. A lot of sellers refuse to understand how shipping actually works and blame the seller if their purchase isn't on their step the next morning. One of the sellers I deal with got a negative because the item was "too small". He sells miniatures. 25-28mm. They are small, that's what they are. He has to eat the negative because eBay won't remove it and the buyer won't respond.

eBay is working hard to end their business. When sellers stop selling the buyers will go where the sellers are. Malls learned this the hard way, they raised rents and the stores left. Now most of the malls are hurting because their sellers have all left and bought their own stores out in the "Commons" which reduces their costs.

It's called greed. As a buyer, I hope eBay figures it out before it all ends poorly. (Not because I like eBay but it's a great way to get all my D&D minis...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
___OO\\ ...::::..:.:.
mb
I've only bought from ebay once.
I would have had no idea that rating someone a four out of five would be very bad for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Gallo22 wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

My user ID is David229

That 3.9 / 5 from 58 ratings on shipping time is a killer. The 4.4 / 5 fr

What's the point of going to a 5 gradient system if 4 of the 5 = bad?

Other than being yet another reason to not bother going back to selling things on ebay.

They've gone out of their way to hose sellers for at least the past 18 months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, so that is how it works. I've been considering 3 stars to be average so used that if I was satisfied with the transaction. So I'm screwing any sellers by doing that!

And if I give 4 stars for good service I'm still screwing them. The only rating that doesn't hurt a seller is 5 of 5. Wow, that is really mean of them. Currently I have a 260 rating but haven't been selling much over the past few years. I still don't have a detailed rating. Now I fear if I sell anything and get a rating I'll not be able to sell again if any dip below 4.1.

OMG! What have they done? So much for eBay being a good place for small sellers.

So they are actively driving away small sellers? Why in hell would they want to do that? It makes no sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So can you still use "Buy Right Now" as a way to sell things to people, or is that shut off as well as auctions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We can all gripe about eBay, so instead let us look at this from a different perspective.

What other sites are out there that are comparable? Like you, I'd love to find a site that I can use instead of eBay where I can sell my gaming and non-gaming stuff and have a large enough customer base that I can actually make some money as well as buy cool new toys.

Until that question is answered, the rest is just grumbling about a system rife with errors and problems.

As an aside, the only reason I understood about the stars is because I am a seller on eBay, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gallo22 wrote:

I think what a lot of the problem is, is that buyers and seller don't realize how the "star" system works. I personally only give 4 stars to sellers unless it was outstanding service, then I give 5 "stars". If everyone who buys only gives 4 stars (that an 80%) then seller will be droping like flys. Their system makes no sense.

I only give out 5 stars unless warranted. As a seller, this is obvious to me, but perhaps it isn't with the rest of the community. As a seller with around 300 more rating than me, why would you only give out 4 stars, when you know too well what the effect of that would be on someone's rating? Perhaps you are trying to make it a point that if you as a seasoned seller would make this mistake, then newbs would definintely do the same?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Stever
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
The 4.4 / 5 from 58 ratings on shipping charges also doesn't help your case.

I feel for the OP. I generally charge exact shipping rounded up to the next .25. My typical rating for shipping charges is a 4.1. For anyone who hasn't been paying attention, shipping via USPS is through the roof over the last two years and all inexpensive international options are gone. So I think a lot of people are shocked when a game that isn't really heavy still ends up costing $8.40 cents to ship via parcel post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Petru5 wrote:

What other sites are out there that are comparable? Like you, I'd love to find a site that I can use instead of eBay where I can sell my gaming and non-gaming stuff and have a large enough customer base that I can actually make some money as well as buy cool new toys.

Years ago LEGO sellers got fed up with EBay so they did their own thing and Bricklink was born. Now I only look for LEGO on EBay to find the occasional steal, if I'm looking for something specific my first stop is Bricklink.

Seems like it might be time for Derk and Aldie to give the BGG Marketplace more prominence (In all their spare time of course )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It blows my mind that the BGG marketplace is not THE SITE for boardgame sales. I personally consider the market as second or third option to buy, and less to sell. I know that most like the market like it currently operates, but it just amazes me that even as an avid gamer, I rarely look here for anything.

JasonRMax wrote:
Petru5 wrote:

Years ago LEGO sellers got fed up with EBay so they did their own thing and Bricklink was born. Now I only look for LEGO on EBay to find the occasional steal, if I'm looking for something specific my first stop is Bricklink.

Seems like it might be time for Derk and Aldie to give the BGG Marketplace more prominence (In all their spare time of course )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ebay has jumped the shark long ago for me. Yeah, there isn't anything else as large.

But the paypal bullying and this sort of thing have caused me to stop selling, despite 100% positive feedback. I use craig's list or BGG marketplace, or local consignment stores.

-dh4l
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Looks like my next series of game auctions will be a GeekList here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Bailey Sr.
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you ask me seller greed is killing ebay.
I use ebay on occasion to buy games. I buy only when the seller uses Paypal. I have heard lots of friends who are sellers complain about Paypal. Personally as a buyer I love Paypal and Ebay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another kicker is this:
You can't get the lowest possible shipping with USPS when paying through Paypal. USPS has started issuing discounted rates for folks that print their own shipping (usually about 30-80 cents). When using the automated shipping calculator, ebay ignores this option and paypal does as well when paying for the shipping.

My wife told me not to use this option anymore because it is causing too many bookkeeping headaches for us (pay for shipping with debit cared, transfer money from paypal) and she doesn't see a benefit for me as a seller.

I'm starting to think she's right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stetler
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keethrax wrote:
What's the point of going to a 5 gradient system if 4 of the 5 = bad?

Well, it 'points' out how eBay hasn't put much real thought into how their ideas will work when confronted with reality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Parsons
United States
Alto
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a part of why this change was initiated. There are a lot of auctions that have a low bid or BIN price with shipping through the roof. The reason is the "final price" charge that generates revenue for ebay doesn't include shipping prices.

Now, I can look at the total price and make a decision on whether to bid. Others may look at that and say they got screwed on shipping and ding the seller with low stars.

Refusing to combine shipping is ludicrous and deserves low stars.

I haven't sold anything on ebay in a while, so some of this may have changed.

The problem with using BGG to sell games is that you are selling to experts who know the value of what you are trying to sell. I sold a near mint copy of Diplomacy with the metal figures on ebay for $100 last year near christmas. Here I would be lucky to have gotten half that amount.

philomars wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
Gallo22 wrote:
[q="darthhugo"]Something doesn't add up here. What is your userID? How did you get such crappy DSR number?

I was so glad when they put this up. I have had sellers tell me that the shipping was high because they were selling so low and they had to make their money somehow! The same guy refused to combine shipping....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Schneider
United States
Lyons
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Gallo22 wrote:

I only give out 5 stars unless warranted. As a seller, this is obvious to me, but perhaps it isn't with the rest of the community. As a seller with around 300 more rating than me, why would you only give out 4 stars, when you know too well what the effect of that would be on someone's rating? Perhaps you are trying to make it a point that if you as a seasoned seller would make this mistake, then newbs would definintely do the same?

That's the whole problem Rich. I DID NOT know that giving 4 stars was a bad thing. If you look on ebay you will see that 4 stars represents a generally good seller. (if that's the case how can a 4.1 be gounds for dismissal from selling) If a seller does the basics and gets me my item in a fair amount of time, I give 4 stars. If the seller goes beyond the norm and wraps the item in bubble wrap, cardboard, etc., sends the package with days of payment, etc, I'll give 5 stars. Why would you give out 5 stars for just if the seller did not earn them. 5 stars to me represents prefect work. Would you give 5 starts to an average movie? The system is obviously flawed and possibly on purpose?

I've been selling on ebay for about 13 years, maybe longer, and with rarely a negative comment. And yet due to this new ebay system I can't sell any more until my rating changes, yet my rating can't change until I sell more stuff.

I've seen buyers e-mail you three days after an auction and complain they have not received the package yet. So it's very possible these types of buyers are giving 1 or 2 stars because they just don't get it.

I rarely ever give a negative response unless it's truely warrented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.