Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Gries
United States
Libertyville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all, a couple of questions came up during my latest game. I searched, but couldn't find the answers in the forums - forgive me if they are there and I missed them.

1) If a German unit and a Russian unit are in the same hex, and there is a German unit in an adjacent hex, can the the German do a Close Combat against the Russian in the same hex AND use group firing with the German in the adjacent hex to get +1 firing support?

2) Can mortar units do Close Combat? Its says in the rules that mortars get a -2 modifier for CC, but it also says they can't attack less than their range, and there are no mortar units that have a range of 0 (or even 1 for that matter).

Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes, you can, (provided the German is facing the hex, and has no chits modifying attack values.) You'd have to pay the 1 cap though because it's adjacent, so unless you're already adding 2 caps to increase the roll and want to add more, it doesn't really make much of a difference in this particular case.

2) No mortars cannot do close combat. The online faq clarifies this I believe, and the next set of rules makes it clear as well. Regardless of anything else, mortars cannot fire at shorter range than their counter indicates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WEI-CHENG CHENG
Taiwan
Taipei
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dgries wrote:
1) If a German unit and a Russian unit are in the same hex, and there is a German unit in an adjacent hex, can the the German do a Close Combat against the Russian in the same hex AND use group firing with the German in the adjacent hex to get +1 firing support?

You can take a look of the description of figure 13 in the rule book.
It is the same situation you meet but this unit decide not to do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
James

On the mortars and close combat question, I would have thought that a mortar team would have had secondary weapons (rifles or maybe Lugers?) and so could make some attempt to engage in (Opp Action) close combat if an enemy unit moved into its hex?

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chou4555 wrote:
James

On the mortars and close combat question, I would have thought that a mortar team would have had secondary weapons (rifles or maybe Lugers?) and so could make some attempt to engage in (Opp Action) close combat if an enemy unit moved into its hex?

Colin

Historically, you may be right. I would think that if you'd like, you could give them the same close range "attack" that a truck has to simulate this. I would think that in general the mortar team would be small, and unprepared for a close combat attack from a full-sized squad.

Anyways, I'm no history buff, at least not with WWII. I can say with certainty that that is where the rules are right now, but Uwe might be able to explain it historically. I don't think tactics really change much either way though - either way letting your enemies get right up close to your mortar units is a -bad- idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Gries
United States
Libertyville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help!

Wei-Cheng: Note that the examples in Figure 11, 12 and 13 are slightly different than what I was asking - those examples help, but do not clearly explain if supporting group fire can be made from OUTSIDE the hex where the CC attack is happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Colin,
You are correct of course. But most mortar and artillery men that I have spoken with definitely tried to clear if they did not have sufficient infantry support. Ex: A 3 man mortar unit was more concerned about preserving their tube and ammo than in facing down 10 ticked off Russians in close combat. On second thought, forget the damn ammo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uwe

Understood! I'm very precious about gurading my own tube... of Smarties

Col

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been pointed out on CSW that no one explicitly answered this question (can mortars engage in close combat?). James Palmer emphatically asserted that they can't, but the rules don't seem to say that (to me). Uwe's response is ambiguous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just posted this on Consimworld, but I'll post it here.

I e-mailed Uwe - here's his response:

>>> Couple quick questions:

>>> Can mortars perform close combat?

>>> The Q&A and your post on BGG (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2855917#2855917) seems to imply that they can't, but there is some debate about it.

Correct, they cannot do close combat.

>>> Also, what does the "0" on trucks mean? My thought was that that mean their range is "0" and thus can only attack in close combat.

Correct, their range is 0 so can only do close combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.