Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Sytsma
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I work at a local Garden center and just got all of our Fresh cut Christmas trees in. I figured I would do a poll and see who buys what.

Poll
1. What kind of Christmas Tree do you have at your house for Christmas?
Fresh Cut
Artificial
2. If Fresh what kind do you like? (listed are the 7 kinds I sell at my work)
Balsam
White Pine
Frasier
Scotch pine
Concolor
Spruce
Douglas Fir
3. If Artaficial How old is your tree?
1 year
3 years
5 years
10 years
I don't even remember
      75 answers
Poll created by Commandex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
http://atroublewithwords.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer an artificial tree - that's what I grew up with, and I have no problem with them at all. I dislike the mess real trees make, I hate having to remember to water it and I'm constantly afraid that a real tree is going to burst into flames and burn our house down.

My wife likes real trees.

Want to take a guess how this plays out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
http://atroublewithwords.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
The real answers to your first two questions are "Whatever my wife says." Please include that option. cool

I guess I could have just waited a minute and thumbed your post, instead of posting my own.

Here's a thumb anyway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
The smell of a real tree can't compare to that of an artificial one, and that is what makes me think of Christmas the most. That being said, though, we've used artificial trees for the last three years, and just bought one that's pre-lit. My PREFERENCE is a real one, but the reality is that an artificial one is much less hassle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
We have several very nice artificial trees. I like real trees but I am highly allergic and I don't enjoy sneezing throughout the holiday season.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
We stopped getting trees as our cats liked to climb them to much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm... something that would barely fit into my apartment, things that I have to clean up, and something that needs storage space... I'm passing again this year.

I just have no need for one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Sytsma
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
The smell of a real tree....

Let me tell you after a month of selling real trees you wouldn't want to smell pine for the rest of your life! As soon as we unloaded the first few trees this morning the smell came crashing back over me like a tidal wave. A year between Christmas isn't enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Real all the way!

And best of all, a junk shop nearby sells real trees for $13 every year. They're not the prettiest trees ever, but the price can't be beat.

As added excitement, every year when I put the tree on my wife's car with no rack, just some twine to hold it down, the guy selling them always says, "uhhhhh...I don't think you should drive like that..." but so far the trees has gotten home OK. It is a short drive, only about a mile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Real trees smell nice. And watering the tree is part of the ritual of the holidays!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry
United States
Pasco
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rappak wrote:
things that I have to clean up, and something that needs storage space... I'm passing again this year.

I just have no need for one.
Seconded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No tree. They are messy, smelly eyesores that propagate the myths and rituals of antiquity. I can't believe that my local, state, and federal tax dollars pay for such nonsense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
No tree. They are messy, smelly eyesores that propagate the myths and rituals of antiquity. I can't believe that my local, state, and federal tax dollars pay for such nonsense.
No no, we don't mean trees outside, in the woods. Yes, they are eyesores and need to be cut or burned down. We mean the cute little ones inside your house!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
ekted wrote:
No no, we don't mean trees outside, in the woods. Yes, they are eyesores and need to be cut or burned down. We mean the cute little ones inside your house!

There have never been trees in my house. The ones outside are fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ekted wrote:
propagate the myths and rituals of antiquity.

I like the myths and rituals of antiquity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
We saw a branch off the nearest casuarina and use that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
ekted wrote:

Oh. Tell me you're not one of those people who whines every December to get Poinsettias removed from the Capitol building on the grounds that they constitute a violation of the separation clause.

I have no problem with people celebrating Christmas as long as I don't have to pay for it. If we spent 1% as many federal tax dollars on freedom of choice for abortion, the churches would riot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no choice. I must have an artificial tree in the apartment.

Last year, after fighting with my old 3' tree for the last time and breaking off the tippy top, I decided to get a 1' tree instead. Now my ornaments are too big. I'm working on it. But I've got till, oh, I don't know, December 10th or so? I'm in no rush to put up all the Christmas crap. I'll wait till I've got more presents to stick under there. I"ll probably put the little tree on a chair and the prezzies underneath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:

That makes for great Christmas cat photos. My family has lots of those in the old album.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the first time ever, we're passing on a tree this year. However, in years past, we have always purchased a live tree. Our favorite has been something called a Grand Fir, which is sort of a hybrid of Douglas and Noble Firs. They last forever, and have great branches for ornaments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quiet, not much content
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
um, both. blush

We bought an artificial tree for our first christmas. Switched to real trees when we got a house. Every year I would say next year we're getting a cultured tree next year, the branches on the one we have aren't strong enough for my ornaments. Couple of years ago, started putting the artificial one up in the living room and the real one in the family room.

Oh, and the kids have a little mini artificial one too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in a 450 square foot studio. The best tree for me is artificial, four foot tall pre-strung with lights. If I had a larger space, I would consider getting a real tree. I certainly prefer the look. This year I have to contend with Mary's three foot tree as well. Not sure which tree is going up. I have a slightly crazy idea to do both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

This is our artificial tree - as decorated a couple of years ago. I like the tacky mis-matched aesthetic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Pengelly
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jpwoo wrote:
Real trees smell nice. And watering the tree is part of the ritual of the holidays!

Aah, you have cats as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Je suis Paris
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RIP Jonah Lomu 1975-2015
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:

Try little kids instead of cats, works even better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.