Paul Toderas
Germany
Düsseldorf
Deutschland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys. Please answer these if you can

Q: In a 2 player game, who is the starting player? If nobody wants to be then who will start first? If nobody wants to be then how will the food be provided?

Q: The food is distributed (2 for starting player and 3 for others) every time the round is starting? (after going home or harvest)

Here i don't understand, because in a 2 players game we are having too much food.

Q: Can you have more the actually 7 Minor Improvement / 7 Ocupations cards at one player? Or that's all you have in one game?

Q: Can you hold one animal in your house?

Q: Can you use AFTER RENOVATION also Ma/Mi Improvement, if your hut is already made of stone?

Q: You can only Bake bread in SOW and/or BAKE BREAD action?

Q: The rules states, that you can purchase a new Minor Improvement. Can you do that or you can only use those 7 given at game start?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A couple of questions for begginers
Arvias wrote:

Q: In a 2 player game, who is the starting player? If nobody wants to be then who will start first? If nobody wants to be then how will the food be provided?

Q: The food is distributed (2 for starting player and 3 for others) every time the round is starting? (after going home or harvest)

Here i don't understand, because in a 2 players game we are having too much food.

Q: Can you have more the actually 7 Minor Improvement / 7 Ocupations cards at one player? Or that's all you have in one game?

Q: Can you use AFTER RENOVATION also Ma/Mi Improvement, if your hut is already made of stone?

Q: The rules states, that you can purchase a new Minor Improvement. Can you do that or you can only use those 7 given at game start?

Thank you!

1. Choose the 1st player using whatever "random" technique you like. I pick up a player piece from each player and shake them, drop one. That person is 1st player.

2. It is only at the beginning of the game that 1st player gets 2 food and other players get 3. After that it is up to your farm/occupations/improvements to get you food.

3. You only get 7 Occupations and 7 Minor Improvements for the game. In addition, there are "Travelling" cards (that are passed to the left when played) that you may get passed during the game. You can also buy Major Improvements.

4. Yes, 1 animal can live in your house and does not "occupy" a room.

5. No... if you cannot perform the Renovation you cannot take the second action.

6. You can Bake bread by taking a Bake Action (such as SOW and/or BAKE BREAD) or by purchasing an Oven (Major Improvement, which allows you to immediately Bake Bread)

7. Where do you see that rule? You can, however, purchase a Major Improvement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Arvias wrote:

Determined randomly.

Just to start out. After that, it's up to the players to earn the food.

No. You start the game with 7 of each, and that is it (exception: see the Broom minor improvement).

Yes, but only one--not one animal in each room.

No. You must perform the action in order to take it.

Yes. But, it's not recommended. "And/Or" actions are just that.

You can only choose to play from among the 7 at game start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Toderas
Germany
Düsseldorf
Deutschland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Toderas
Germany
Düsseldorf
Deutschland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

You mean you can do both, but it's not recomended because the loss of Grain/Vegtables ?

And again 2 more questions.

Q: You can actulally play as many Occupations (no more than 7) as you wish. It's not limited to the family members you have, right?

Q: When you choose to play an ocupation what, let's say, it saz "Put one Reed from ound 6 to Round 14 and you can collect them when you reach that round", then you put them from the main supply and not from your personal supply, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Keja
Netherlands
Leusden
flag msg tools
badge
I won this overtext in the Rummage-o-rama! Thanks Cate!
mbmbmbmbmb
Arvias wrote:
Q: You can actulally play as many Occupations (no more than 7) as you wish. It's not limited to the family members you have, right?

You can play all 7, even with only 2 family members.

Arvias wrote:
Q: When you choose to play an ocupation what, let's say, it saz "Put one Reed from ound 6 to Round 14 and you can collect them when you reach that round", then you put them from the main supply and not from your personal supply, right?

They come out of the main supply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Toderas
Germany
Düsseldorf
Deutschland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Arvias wrote:

You mean you can do both, but it's not recomended because the loss of Grain/Vegtables ?

It's not recommended to "waste" actions. In other words, choosing the Sow/Bake action and only conducting one of those actions is less efficient than taking the action space and conducting both Sow and Bake Bread. I'm not saying it should never be done, but generally, you don't see many winning players, for example, choosing the Build Rooms action space to build a stable only (and no room).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Toderas
Germany
Düsseldorf
Deutschland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Patrick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Toderas
Germany
Düsseldorf
Deutschland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys we hit another unclear rule.

When you put your token on a Action that has "and/or" on it, does it mean that i can do only one of the actions or both?

Like :

Sohw and/or Bake Bread.

Can i do both? (surely baking would be allowed if i got an card with Baking options)

Now i don't understand the Starting Player rule for there is the "Starting Player and/or 1 Minor Improvement" Action tile. If i am the starting player than i MUST put my token on that tile?

Also if i am the starting player, there again is the "and/or" option. If i start the round can i also use 1 Minor Improvement or just to place the token first?

Thx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"and/or" means you can do both actions or just one of them.

With starting player - if you are already the starting player then you could put your token on it and essentially only play a minor improvement. This might be a good strategy if you want to ensure you retain starting player, and you have a useful improvement to play.

As I understand it you must take one of the actions (ie you can't take a spot just to block another player ), so if you could not play a minor improvement and you are already starting player, then it may be questionable as to whether you are actually doing anything. This hasn't come up in any of my games yet though - my gut feel is that it is a definite action to "retain start player" even if you don't do a minor improvement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Norman
United Kingdom
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arvias wrote:
Now i don't understand the Starting Player rule for there is the "Starting Player and/or 1 Minor Improvement" Action tile. If i am the starting player than i MUST put my token on that tile?

Also if i am the starting player, there again is the "and/or" option. If i start the round can i also use 1 Minor Improvement or just to place the token first?

Thx.

The "Starting player" space should actually be called the "Become the starting player" space.

At the start of the game, the start player is determined randomly. They remain the start player for the whole game, unless somebody else takes the "Become the starting player" action, in which case that player becomes the starting player from the start of the next round.

David.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Toderas
Germany
Düsseldorf
Deutschland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidNorman99 wrote:
Arvias wrote:

Thx.

The "Starting player" space should actually be called the "Become the starting player" space.

At the start of the game, the start player is determined randomly. They remain the start player for the whole game, unless somebody else takes the "Become the starting player" action, in which case that player becomes the starting player from the start of the next round.

David.

Ok but do i need to put a token on that space or that space remains empy regardless of who the starting player is??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Toderas,
The "Start Player" action only changes who becomes the starting player for the next round. By choosing that action, you are setting yourself up to begin placing the first Family Member (FM) the next round (and subsequent rounds too, until another player takes the Start Player action).

In addition to being the Start Player, that action also grants you the ability to play a Minor Improvement (if you choose). That's why it's "and/or". I suppose you could go there and decline becoming the Start Player and just play a Minor Improvement, but I can't see that ever being something anyone would want to do--being start player is a good thing.

The "and/or" actions allow the player who places there the option of doing only one of the actions or both. So, if you place on the "Sow/Bake Bread" action space, here are your options (provided you have the resources):
Sow AND Bake Bread
Sow only
Bake Bread only

Keep in mind, this is not the case for the action spaces that read "After...also...". With these, when a player places a FM there, he must conduct the 1st action, while the 2nd listed action is optional. So, if you place on "After Renovation, also Major or Minor Improvement", then here are your options:
Renovate only
Renovate and play a Minor Improvement
Renovate and play a Major Improvement

Hope that makes things more clear. Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Toderas
Germany
Düsseldorf
Deutschland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
Toderas,
The "Start Player" action only changes who becomes the starting player for the next round. By choosing that action, you are setting yourself up to begin placing the first Family Member (FM) the next round (and subsequent rounds too, until another player takes the Start Player action).

In addition to being the Start Player, that action also grants you the ability to play a Minor Improvement (if you choose). That's why it's "and/or". I suppose you could go there and decline becoming the Start Player and just play a Minor Improvement, but I can't see that ever being something anyone would want to do--being start player is a good thing.

The "and/or" actions allow the player who places there the option of doing only one of the actions or both. So, if you place on the "Sow/Bake Bread" action space, here are your options (provided you have the resources):
Sow AND Bake Bread
Sow only
Bake Bread only

Keep in mind, this is not the case for the action spaces that read "After...also...". With these, when a player places a FM there, he must conduct the 1st action, while the 2nd listed action is optional. So, if you place on "After Renovation, also Major or Minor Improvement", then here are your options:
Renovate only
Renovate and play a Minor Improvement
Renovate and play a Major Improvement

Hope that makes things more clear. Cheers!

It seems that im the dummy and can't ask the question right.

Ill try this way and please tell me if it's ok :

I got two family member tokens.
I am the starting player.
Do i need to put my first family member token on the "Starting Player and/or Minor improvement" Action place or that remains empty?

This is what i do not understand. Cause if i need to put it there, then ill have only one more family token to put somewere else...

This is the question

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan B.
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This field is used if somebody wants to be starting player. Nobody HAS to put his marker on this field. If someone chooses this field he gets the starting player marker and will be starting player until someone else gets to this field. Additionally you can play a minor improvement card if you're able to pay the costs for it and meet the requirements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
Arvias wrote:

Do i need to put my first family member token on the "Starting Player and/or Minor improvement" Action place or that remains empty?

No, you are not required to place there. You keep the starting player token, and remain so until the round after someone else chooses that action space. You are of course permitted to play there, both to keep (or re-take) the starting player token and to also build a minor improvement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Norman
United Kingdom
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arvias wrote:
It seems that im the dummy and can't ask the question right.

No, you're asking the question perfectly well. We all understand what you're asking, and we're answering that question.

Arvias wrote:
Ill try this way and please tell me if it's ok :

This is what i do not understand. Cause if i need to put it there, then ill have only one more family token to put somewere else...

This is the question

You do NOT need to put your first family member token on that space.

You do NOT need to put any of your family member tokens on that space.

Nobody needs to put any of their family member tokens on that space.

However...

If nobody puts a family member on that space, then you will be the starting player again next round.

If any player puts a family member on that space, then they will be the starting player next round.

David.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.