Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Darby
United Kingdom
Welshpool
Powys
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, after a handy defeat at schotten totten, followed by another at coloretto and a drubbing at race for the galaxy, I twisted a couple of arms to try out Battlestar Galactica.

The characters we ended up with were Kara Thrace (reaction from old school BSG fan: "SHE'S Starbuck?!?!" "Yeah, don't worry, Starbuck still smokes cigars, drinks like a fish and actually gets into even more fights."), (President) Gaius Baltar and me, Big Admiral Bill Adama.

After an awkward 20 odd minutes of set up and rules explanation (in which I muffed several rules), we're off, but in a run of crisis cards, Baltar jumps putting 3 population at risk. Thanks to the Admirals strategic planning, we don't lose any of the fleet, but my cylon-dar is pinging.

As we will see, I really need to get my cylon-dar calibrated.

A couple of crises, and I'm forced by a crisis to put ask the President to either give me the presidency or go to the brig.

Shoulda given me the presidency, Gaius. Heck, I'd have given it back... eventually.

With more cylons approaching, we jump... into another cylon attack. We jump again. President Baltar still languishing in the brig, Admiral Adama gives the presidency to Starbuck, who is in the press room... and the Cylons jump in with the admiral and president on the wrong fracking ship.

Which is where things started to go really wrong for our heroes. Adama runs to the FTL to jump again, putting us at 7 distance, 3 fuel, 2 morale, food an population good. President Thrace flubs a test, forcing her to put the admiral in the brig, taking his title.

In the brig, Adama looks ruefully at Baltar. The Admiral-President is clearly insane, and is obviously not even trying to save the fleet... Two rounds later, yup, Admiral-President-Cylon-Thrace runs off to her new... sorry, real, friends (yup, a cylon from the start), President-Admiral Baltar escapes, dispatches a screening flotilla of vipers, heads to repair armoury to dispatch the invading centurions that the virus let in (another presidential gift).

Adama, who has been pumping Baltar with exec orders from the brig, escapes, runs for the FTL, jumps (again without loss) into ANOTHER attack, fuel 1, morale 1... and the cylon presents us with a forced testing crisis, which breaks the last morale point. This intrusion into civil liberties is too much for the human race, who declare that if they give up their freedom like this, the cylons have already won.

As indeed they have.

General verdict: a little clunky, pace needs to be forced, not enough paranoia with 3 players, the atmosphere boost from being a fan (me and Starbuck's player) increases enjoyment compared to be a BSG reboot newbie (Baltar's player). Essentially, needs playing with more players, faster with more confidence in the rules to make it to the table more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 5 player game does seem to be the ideal by most accounts. I've yet to play with 3, so I can't say for sure...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.