Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dr. Love
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking into a 'Pirate' themed boardgame that I can play with my grandaughter, who is 10. She's awfully bright, and I'm looking for a boardgame that would show her that choices can be made to determine the outcome.

We can only play so many games of SORRY and Spongebob's version of LIFE, and HOMER SIMPSON's OPERATION. Although, those are fun as heck!

I know we could get bogged down in mechanics, but I am looking for a step up from what we play now, and was looking at PIARTE'S COVE or JAMIACA.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Lauricella
United States
Lakewood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are lots of Pirate themed games now, but for playing with a 10 year old, my recommendation would be Pirates Cove. The rules are simple enough that a 10 year old will understand them quickly and enjoy the game without getting bogged down, yet the underlying strategies are interesting enough that it'll keep an adult's interest as well.

The only downside is that it plays better with 3-4 than with 2.

--TMIB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asa Swain
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loot, easy to learn, cheap and quick to play. Great for children.

Edit: Better with 3-5 players (plays up to 8), but still playable (albiet more cut-throat, with 2)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
You mention Jamaica. I agree. A bright 10-year old should have no problem with this. The 2-player version has a "ghost ship" to increase the conflict. Every turn, you make a choice on which card to play to improve your position in the optimal fashion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stinchfield
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
take a look at Winds of Plunder from GMT; a little more complex than Pirate's Cove or Jamaica.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you've named 2 of the better "lighter" pirate games! A third pirate-themed game I would consider is Cartagena 2. The Pirate's Nest. Here's how I would compare the 3 games:

Simplicity: Cartagena 2. The Pirate's Nest is the simplest, with Pirate's Cove being the most complex (and therefore having the most depth).

Length of play: Again, Cartagena 2. The Pirate's Nest plays the quickest, with Pirate's Cove taking the longest.

Game play matching the pirate theme: Pirate's Cove is the only one that actually has a piratey "feel" to it - the other 2 are simply race games with a "pasted on" pirate theme. Jamaica would come second, since you do get to collect money and goods, and occasionally battle other players.

Production value: I would say that the exceptional artwork and overall production value of Jamaica slightly edges out Pirate's Cove, but not by much.

Fun: This is an entirely subjective category, of course, but in my opinion Pirate's Cove is the most fun (particularly when adding a few simple variants - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/283054 - to slightly increase the "realism" and tactical play), with Jamaica coming in second (although I could see a 10-year old girl enjoying Jamaica the most).

They're all great games, and you can't really go wrong with any of them! Have fun! arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I may be allowed to hoist my own mainsail, you could cooperatively play a game I wrote a few years ago, Piece Packing Pirates.

Clark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plunder is a very good game, with three caveats:
1) the rules are bit confusing as written. Be sure you look at some of the rules explanations here before you present the game.
2) Out of print, although still available in some stores.
3) Since the cards all have multiple uses it can be confusing at first.

I would also alter the rules so that if you play a map card as an encounter on someone they have to place it rather than discard it. (this will make sense once you see the basic rules)

Also worth adding a few ships from Pirates of the Spanish Main. Of course this game is also an option, and readily accessible, although some of the more recent packs have been a bit silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cartagena is a big hit with my nieces. They are 14, 10, and 7 respectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose a 10 year old would enjoy pirates cove.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterStatic wrote:
take a look at Winds of Plunder from GMT; a little more complex than Pirate's Cove or Jamaica.

Winds of Plunder is a great game, but does require a higher reading level than Pirate's Cove (can't speak to Jamaica). It's not necessarily a game for a ten-year-old, but you can decide for yourself if it's for your granddaughter by taking a look at the rulebook.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave klokner
United States
Edgewood
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pirate King is a good one for a 'gateway' game. Nice bits too...

arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I also like Cartagena and think it would be fine for a kid, too.

Pirate's Cove was too long and too luck-based for me - it seemed like you can get screwed early on and effectively knocked out of contention. (Each player picks a place to go to simultaneously. Players that go to the same place have to fight, hurting themselves, while players that are by themselves at a place get to benefit.)

Another pirate game a kid might be able to handle (and which is shorter than Pirate's Cove but maybe a little longer than Cartagena) is Buccaneer. It involve building a crew out of different players' pirates (wooden disks) that are big enough to capture ships that give rewards. Needs 3-5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve,

Being a fan of pirate games (light ones, at least) and having a 10-yr old of my own, I'd like to add my $0.02:

I enjoy Plunder, although I'd have to agree with a previous poster that it might not be the best choice for a 10-yr old. Not that it's really complicated or anything, but there's a bit of detailed (overly burdensome?) planning and things to factor in when deciding what to do with your turn (such as figuring out how much ((and where)) to buy and sell stuff, and calculating speed and attack strength of your ship vs. other ships).

Although this may trigger some criticism, I'd like to at least suggest you take a look at Sword & Skull. It's not a GREAT game, but it is pretty fun - kind of like a cross between Monopoly + "Talisman" (if you're familiar with that game) + pirate theme. It is a bit more involved than Pirate's Cove (more money, attack points, special cards, etc to keep track of), which may or may not be a plus for you. I think that your ten year old would enjoy it, and it's available for $10 (not including s&h) from Thoughthammer.

My top recommendation would definitely be for Pirate's Cove. I was fortunate to be able to play it for the first time a couple months ago with another grown up and our sons (ages 10 and 12). We all had a great time playing it, and am looking forward to playing it again.

Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wystan Benbow
United States
Stoneham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Blazars are a special type of active galaxy that indirectly pay for my boardgame habit
badge
Life is good!
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly dislike Pirate's Cove (as does my wife & my buddy's girlfriend). Based on 1 play I felt there was a simple strategy to win "every" time (well, it worked once ) and it takes all the fun out of the game once you get (& use) it. I'd also be worried about how a 10 y.o. girl takes to a conflict driven game.

You might try the following (light) card game, created by a guy in our gaming group: Treasure Fleet. Although a not-well-known "indie" game, most seem to think it is fun. I also think it suits the age (10 y.o.) you are looking for much better than most of the heavier games mentioned previously. While a lighter game, I also think that it could demonstrate that there are fun games that she's never heard of & open up the possibilities for the future

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ctalbot wrote:
MisterStatic wrote:

Winds of Plunder is a great game, but does require a higher reading level than Pirate's Cove (can't speak to Jamaica). It's not necessarily a game for a ten-year-old, but you can decide for yourself if it's for your granddaughter by taking a look at the rulebook.

Chris

You mean a 10 year old couldn't read this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Caribbean would be perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Pirate's Cove would be great. Fun pirate game with some strategy. The good part is that you don't (usually) decide who to attack, as it's based on who selects the same secret destinations. That way, there are usually no hard feelings on the part of sensitive gamers (kids, non-gamer spouses, etc). Nice board and components too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
designer
publisher
BGG facilitates the illegal sale of unauthorized copies of games. Due to BGG refusal to prevent such illeagal activities, FlasterVenture will not interact or participate with BGG If you need help or have question please go to www.boardgaming.com
badge
BGG facilitates the illegal sale of unauthorized copies of games. Due to BGG refusal to prevent such illeagal activities, FlasterVenture will not interact or participate with BGG If you need help or have question please go to www.boardgaming.com
The Pirate King giveaway contest is still going on and you could win a free Pirate King just one of 10 prizes and one grand prize of becoming a pirate in the next version of the game. Plus a Microbage for participation. Check it out: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/356574

This be me, mateys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galeninjapan wrote:
You mean a 10 year old couldn't read this?

It's been so long since I was a ten-year-old that I really couldn't say. There is a definite higher reading level needed to play the game than most of the others suggested here, and I'd say it's up to the parent to decide if their child is at the appropriate level.

But maybe I'm just full of it and clearly don't remember what the average reading level was like at that age. I was just getting into D&D when I was ten, and I guess if you could figure out D&D at that age, you could figure out Winds of Plunder.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caldwell
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Would you be looking specifically for pirate themed memory game for ages 8-10?

I'm not sure if we have any of those, just let me call Margaret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the first family games I purchased was Pirateer. Check it out. It is pretty basic but lots of fun and there are many variants to add replay value. Everyone (non-gamers) enjoys this one a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wong
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Rum & Pirates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dread Pirate is great. En Garde is not necessarily a pirate game, but a it is a fun swashbuckling card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Niezelski
United States
Seymour
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Dread Pirate for a 10 year old. It has very flashy components and probably enough gameplay to keep a little kid interested for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.