Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to believe. I would've thought Israel, Switzerland or Iraq might have topped us.
Quote:
Here's the top five [gun ownership rates] : US at 89 small arms per 100 people, Yemen at 55 (a gun-&-knife-toting culture without peer in the uncivilized world, but we still kicks their asses!), Switzerland at 46 (who knew?), Finland at 45 (still expecting the Russians), and Serbia at 38 (just got in the habit, I guess).

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/11...

It could be that gun ownership is more widerspread in Israel and Switzerland, but in the US, the gun collectors own as many guns as we game collectors have games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Ah-yep!

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This doesn't surprise me at all. I kind of figured it was like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Duh! Hasn't everyone seen red dawn.

Wolverines!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
Be a Wolverine, you'll rule the hills, just get some guns and Cheerios. Any kid can conquer Libya, just steal a fighter plane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
People like me can't keep this country in first place all by myself. I'm asking you geeks, do you really need 1000 games? Wouldn't 985 games and just one Glock pistol be as good for your gaming life and better for your personal protection and the country?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
People like me can't keep this country in first place all by myself.

I like to think of my brother as a team. I don't own any guns, but on average we're both gun nuts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When games are outlawed only outlaws will have games.
You'll take my games when you pry them from my cold dead fingers.
Fish bite best when wind is west.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
scribidinus wrote:

I like to think of my brother as a team. I don't own any guns, but on average we're both gun nuts.

Just like Bill Gates and I are both very rich people when our estates are combined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While they're not hurting for sales, gun makers ought to think about geeks as a great untapped market. Once we start collecting, it's hard to stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
People like me can't keep this country in first place all by myself. I'm asking you geeks, do you really need 1000 games? Wouldn't 985 games and just one Glock pistol be as good for your gaming life and better for your personal protection and the country?

I promise that, when I get to 985 games, I will purchase a Glock pistol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Sytsma
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:

The nuns are doing their part
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Americans own so many guns and I still own to few.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prestonisnormal wrote:
Americans own so many guns and I still own to few.

89/100 is less than one gun per man, woman and child. I only have 4. Two I inherited and two that I bought myself. I've actually bought many but I've never kept more than two at a time.

So, am I sick or what? I don't even have a job and I went gun shopping today. I handled the M1 carbine again and eyeballed a Glock 34 Competition model and a Glock 17L. They don't make 17Ls all the time. They are all about the same price. $650 -$750. I think there are a few special tactical organizations that use the 17L, so every so often Glock will do a limited production run and put the surplus out in the retail market. I did decide all my Heroscape stuff is going to go on ebay and I sent an email to my FLGS asking for a quote on BattleLore and all the expansions. If I do well on ebay...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Man, I'm so wishing I hadn't sold my Walther PPK.

Darilian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
scribidinus wrote:
I only have 4 [guns]. Two I inherited and two that I bought myself. I've actually bought many but I've never kept more than two at a time.

2+2=4. Not 2.

So, when the people are coming which you're arming yourself for, say Russians, Chinese, the US government gone dictorial, what you're gonna do? Fire all 4 guns with your hand & feet?

Way I see it: if a country spends 700 billion dollar a year on their Defense budget, which is roughly 48% of the world's spending on the military, the generals won't be waiting for a group of soldier-wannabees armed with only some assault rifles, if the country is under attack by a foreign nation. (Who? Russia? China? Neither has he navy to mount a viable invasion. So either Canada or Mexico. Ha!)

And on the other hand, if you're protecting your country from a dictorial regime, your 4 guns aren't going to make much of a difference against that "700 billion dollar a year"-machine.

YMMV

Edit: trillions, billions, what's in a name;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just imagine if games used guns instead of cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Bailey
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Holmes! wrote:
Be a Wolverine, you'll rule the hills, just get some guns and Cheerios. Any kid can conquer Libya, just steal a fighter plane.

It would be nice if you would attribute your source.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
mikoyan wrote:
Holmes! wrote:

It's more fun not to, yo. Think of it as an Easter Egg for them what knows. You'll find a lot of them in my posts. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Bailey
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Holmes! wrote:
mikoyan wrote:
Holmes! wrote:

It's more fun not to, yo. Think of it as an Easter Egg for them what knows. You'll find a lot of them in my posts. laugh

And now I have that Damned song in my head....

Thanks alot.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:

2+2=4. Not 2.

So, when the people are coming which you're arming yourself for, say Russians, Chinese, the US government gone dictorial, what you're gonna do? Fire all 4 guns with your hand & feet?

And on the other hand, if you're protecting your country from a dictorial regime, your 4 guns aren't going to make much of a difference against that "700 billion dollar a year"-machine.

YMMV

I really don't consider the two guns I inherited, a single shot .410 gauge shotgun and a .22 caliber plinking pistol, as part of the personal arsenal. I didn't choose them. I've not fired the shotgun since my 16th birthday 43 years ago. Secondly if I'm going to invest time and money at the indoor range to practice responsibly at $21/Hour plus ammo, I'm going to shoot one or both of the two weapons that I would go to in the gravest extreme. The gravest extreme being a potentially deadly assault on me or my loved ones by a criminal. Not to repel a hostile army, ours or somebody else's.

A local gun store run by a retired cop has this sign on display:
Remember: When seconds matter, the cops can be there within minutes.

EDIT: I misremembered it. "Remember, when seconds count the cops are only minutes away."

Same idea but better flow and it doesn't sound like a slam on the cops. I respect cops, a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:

A local gun store run by a retired cop has this sign on display:
Remember: When seconds matter, the cops can be there within minutes.

Wow, that's the simplest way to express exactly how I feel about personal gun ownership. Simply brilliant. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat R
United States
Peculiar
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own guns and the romantic in me likes to think I could defend my home with them. Reality? I keep them locked away because I don't want the kids messing with them. In a situation where seconds matter, my gun is not sitting next to the couch. The reality is, if someone breaks into my house to steal my shit, they will most likely walk out with my guns as well. I won't be there after all. I don't live in a shit neighborhood where home invasions are the norm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
The gravest extreme being a potentially deadly assault on me or my loved ones by a criminal. Not to repel a hostile army, ours or somebody else's.

Ha! Which was not what you said. You're talking about holding your country together 'n stuff.

Anywayz, that description (your 'gravest of times') makes a lot more sense. I still don't agree, but I respect your opinion about home protection &all (I don't think I've to repeat my point of view, it's in a few recent threads about gun ownership)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:

Now here's an Austrian brand that's well-regarded in the US, is it not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.