StarCraft: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Lockdown card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chase Clinton
Bolivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Lockdown card is wrong. It works against Science Vessels but not Arbiters. What would it do against a Science Vessel? Presumably any special ability would be cancelled, which is simple enough with Defense Matrix and Irradiate, but what about EMP Shockwave? The latter cancels any reinforcement card which would cancel the Lockdown card. That raises the question whether it would matter if the player controlling the Ghost was attacker or defender. If the Ghost was defending, Attacker plays first and cancels the Lockdown card. But if the Ghost was attacking, it could be argued that Lockdown works first and EMP Shockwave would be cancelled. However the rules say that that only applies if there are 2 cards with Cancel abilities and Lockdown isn’t one.
So let’s say that Lockdown is cancelled by EMP but has effect against Defense Matrix and Irradiate. Would you experts out there agree?
Then let us also imagine a skirmish of Ghost versus Siege Tank and Marine. The Ghost uses Lockdown so the Siege Tank can’t attack but the Marine can, so does it work like it would versus an aerial unit? In other words, Siege Tank has an attack of 8 let’s say, plus 1 for the Marine. The tank can’t target the opposing front-line unit, but a secondary unit can, so the Ghost is killed. Or would the fact that the Tank is the front-line unit mean that the final attack value is 0, regardless of secondary units?
Finally, as I said before, why wouldn’t Arbiters be listed on the card as well? Lockdown would work against an Arbiter in the video game, wouldn’t it? In the board game, Lockdown could be very useful for preventing Cloaking Field in a battle. I can’t see it being that helpful against Recall or Stasis Field. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lockdown doesn't cancel special abilities; it just nullifies the enemy vehicles' attack capabilities. I'm not sure why it doesn't work on arbiters, though.

In the ghost vs. tank + marine scenario, I believe the ghost would be unharmed since the enemy front-line unit cannot attack it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Clinton
Bolivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Lockdown doesn't cancel special abilities; it just nullifies the enemy vehicles' attack capabilities. I'm not sure why it doesn't work on arbiters, though.

In which case, the Science Vessel shouldn´t even be mentioned on the Lockdown card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
A Sci Vessel *can* end up as the front-line unit, if all the units there are Assist units. It'll only use the secondary values from the combat card, but in some cases (like Nuke) that can still be quite high.

EDIT: Of course, since it can't attack either ground or air to start with, there's not much point in using Lockdown on a Sci Vessel in those rare edge cases...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
alextfish wrote:
A Sci Vessel *can* end up as the front-line unit, if all the units there are Assist units. It'll only use the secondary values from the combat card, but in some cases (like Nuke) that can still be quite high. So it's good to be able to Lockdown a Sci Vessel for those rare edge cases.

Regardless of the attack capabilities, though, it still won't kill anything, as a Science Vessel doesn't have either Ground or Air attack capabilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you're completely right. I realised last night and came back here to edit my post, but you were too quick The attack value of the card assigned to a front-line assist unit is irrelevant, the health is all that matters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sheppard
msg tools
mb
Aarontu wrote:
In the ghost vs. tank + marine scenario, I believe the ghost would be unharmed since the enemy front-line unit cannot attack it.

Why do you believe that? The Guide doesn't say that the support value of a support unit doesn't count, if the front line unit has no attack capabilities.
Same dicussion here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4727039#4727039

PS: Maybe they have mistaken the Science Vessel with the Goliath? Because in the PC-Game Lockdown is also possible for the Goliath (and it looks like, they tried to develop the boardgame as much equal to the PC-Game as possible).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sheppard
msg tools
mb
Another question: Is splash damage triggered by units which lost their attack capability? (due to Lockdown and other special abilities)
I'm asking because page 39 in the guide says the following:
"Cloaking and Splash Damage:
Destroying a cloaked unit in a skirmish does trigger splash
damage normally, even though the cloaked unit withdraws
from the battle instead of actually being destroyed."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.