Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
"We don't see things as they are, but as we are." Anais Nin
mbmbmbmbmb
For many years I have derided my friends who spent time reading/contributing to online forums.

"Why don't you get REAL friends?" I taunted them...

Then purely by chance, after buying a couple of new games to 'graduate' on from Monopoly et al, I found my way onto BGG.

To begin with it was infuriating and alien and I just read reviews and moved on.

Little by little though, something strange and inexplicable was happening - I was spending more and more time reading lists, looking at photos and starting to wonder what this GeekGold stuff was, what was with these avatars, what the various acronyms meant (where or who was this FLGS that so many people seemed to visit?)

I was still annoyed - I wanted in but I wanted in NOW, accept me NOW or get lost, but sulk as I might I found myself creeping back a few days later for another furtive look at all the curious wonders that the site provided...

Now, a few months later and I am starting to know my way around this strange labyrinth a little better, but every so often I still make a mistake or don't know how to do something and rather than annoy me it seems to suck me in deeper.

How deep does it go? Where will it all end? Will I have any time left for anything else?

Then the avatars, GeekGold and microbadges - its hard not to get fixated with them and what a fascinating process of trying to represent something of who you are, what you like in these little symbols - its like FREE therapy...

So, what about you my fellow Geek? Why are you here? What is it that keeps you here? Whats your favourite thing about the Geek? What life-lessons does it give us?

Hey, don't get me wrong, I know that over-analysis can kill a thing - I am just fascinated by how a reluctant, anti-geek, anti-forum kinda guy has been so totally and FULLY converted.

I am out of the cupboard as a born-again Geek who laughs off my friends derision, casts aside my wife's sarcasm about GeekGold ("hang on honey, you're spending REAL money, time and effort to get MADE-UP 'money' to 'spend' on little pictures - are you insane?")

I look forward to hearing your stories - be proud and loud fellow geek-meisters - gaming is wonderful and the Geek is the most wonderful community/forum EVER... !!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
You're doing some weird experiment on us, aren't you? A doctorate on the psyche of the BoardGameGeek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cringing Dragon wrote:
You're doing some weird experiment on us, aren't you? A doctorate on the psyche of the BoardGameGeek.

No, no of course not, just relax and tell me everything and then give me your credit-card number and then pretend you never read this thread - its all gonna be okay...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natalie Ryan
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always find in interesting that folks who don't use forums accuse us of having imaginary friends. Of all my friends in "real life," over half are people I met online and have known for several years. We end up knowing so much about each other than when we finally do meet up in meat space, it's like we've been hanging out since we were kids. I met my current partner on the Fark forums, and we've been together for going on three years.

I guess that's the real draw here for me. More people who share one of my passions, and a place to talk geek without annoying everyone around me :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
Culverboy wrote:
I am just fascinated by how a reluctant, anti-geek, anti-forum kinda guy has been so totally and FULLY converted.

Oh man, tell me about it! Five years ago I would have listed some of my favourite activities as mountain biking, snowboarding, skydiving, boxing, and bashing it up in mosh pits at punk shows, and I would have looked with disdain upon anyone who spent most of their free time in front of a computer, and especially someone who spent most of that time on a "social" website (although BGG is a very interesting mix of database and social network).

A few years ago I decided to give up watching TV because staring at that screen was becoming too easy a way to fritter away all of my spare time and more, and I was simply becoming addicted to watching TV (now I watch occasionally, but I've definitely kicked the addiction). It was shortly after that that I started to spend more time in front of the computer (mainly on this website), and in the past year my time spent on BGG has gone through the roof. It has now become my new addiction, and I'm starting to realize that it is worse than TV was before it. I'm not sure why this is the case, but I suspect it is due to a combination of the fact that I enjoy reading (and it's exciting to read about new games and entertaining to read people's witty comments), the fact that I really enjoy writing, and the fact that I usually get the pleasure of instant feedback, in the form of comments or thumbs, when I write something.

But now I'm at the point where I'm realizing that I need to kick this habit in much the same way as I did with TV, and I really hope it's not going to take giving it up cold turkey to do so. I'd like to think that I have the discipline to just cut back, but we'll see! I want to spend more time on my mountain bike and snowboard again, and I really want to spend a lot more time on some original game design and creation!

How's that for a therapy session? It certainly went longer than I was expecting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squash wrote:
and the fact that I usually get the pleasure of instant feedback, in the form of comments or thumbs, when I write something.

Bingo!

...and the fact that it's nice to know that one is not alone in this gaming obsession.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
we'll see u at bgg.con next year...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eclectic92 wrote:
... meat space ...

Totally awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been here for like 3-4 years and I haven't been sucked yet. Am I doing something wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
I've been here for like 3-4 years and I haven't been sucked yet. Am I doing something wrong?

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanging out with people of a similar mind and access to a panacea of resources, advice, reviews and humour.

Phil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
You just told my story Martyn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:
You just told my story Martyn!

At least we're all a bunch of geeks in this together - there's comfort in community
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philomars wrote:
It's almost like I wrote it.... Altho I still have disdain for the gamer stereotype. I am working through that, be patient ya nerds.

P

I guess we'll all be able to help each other won't we?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knock knock open up the door it's Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Clockmakers lie
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny anecdotes and moving stories from the lives of other Geeks.
Enthusiastic reviews of new games you hadn't heard of before.
Session reports on your favorite games.
Chit Chat
Staring at your wishlist. Soon, I'm gonna own this and that and that...
Browsing for games to add to your wishlist.
Geekbuddies
Checking your thumbs count.
Writing comments on your favorite games, or maybe a session report or a variant or strategy you want to share.
Discussions in the RSP forum
GeekQuestions
Beautiful images
Online T&E
Logging plays, and then looking back at all the games you played.
Checking out other people's avatars, microbadges and profiles.
Geeklists
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.