Subject: D&D 4e: Anybody tried the Character Builder software from WotC? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like it’s in Beta right now. Has anybody downloaded it and tried it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Casey
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to try it, but Wizards seems to think I need to subscribe to D&D Insider before they'll let me near the beta character builder. I seem to think I don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Truthfully, I just don't think it's worth the monthly $$$. My Bic Grip Roller, Dice, and laser printer work just fine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Casey
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Truthfully, I just don't think it's worth the monthly $$$. My Bic Grip Roller, Dice, and laser printer work just fine!

With very few exceptions the things you would get for subscribing to Insider were never all that useful in the first place. Things like Dungeon and Dragon magazines were always operating in some sort of rarefied atmosphere of perfect play and reasonable players who dedicated more hours to the game than came with a week of 8 hour work days and family time. Sure, they were fun to read about and occasionally gave you some good ideas, but not so often that I ever subscribed to either one.

And yes, I know I am setting myself up for some nerd rage by saying 'meh' to two such wonderful resources. So what?

Besides which, only Wizards would contemplate charging me to beta test their software.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to try it, but it only allows you to level up to third level.

I did try this homebrew generator.
http://203.194.161.207/sheepy/chargen/

I didn't like the format of the finished character sheet, but it allows you to see minor formulas and tidbits about your character you may have missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
All my sins are of omission
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote a character generator in BASIC in 1984.cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Six wrote:
Besides which, only Wizards would contemplate charging me to beta test their software.

You haven't heard of Microsoft?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Matchen
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
Mr_Six wrote:

You haven't heard of Microsoft?

Or MMO games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
I registered, subscribed and have downloaded the Character Builder. It does make character generation a snap... Well, even easier than it already is -- as in my opinion, creating a 4E character takes about 1/3 the time that creating a 3.5 character did...

However, the biggest advantage is the built-in power card builder. Once you select your powers, feats and equipment, you can view custom power cards for your character. The power cards have the default formula (such as "Str vs. AC" or "2 [W] damage") -- but then also substitutes the values for your character based on the currently equipped gear.

The cards are well formatted, and when printed, easily slip into conventional card sleeves. I had been creating cards for all the powers from scratch, which was time consuming. This element alone makes it worthwhile, in my opinion.

I'm curious to see how they allow access to other books. Will I need to purchase a physical copy of the PHB2 to use PHB2 abilities/classes/races in the builder? Will I need to buy a separate electronic version/license? So it's unclear how they will incorporate other resources -- but the beta does include access to the PHB, MM, DMG as well as a wide variety of Dragon Magazine pieces and even content from the Adventurer's Vault and Forgotten Realm's Campaign Setting, if I recall correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
I use it too and my wife plays with it like it is a game in itself. If they keep it up to date with the new releases like Martial Powers I would give it a thumbs up if you play more than twice a month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
I will say the ease of use of building a character with the software really appealed to my wife. She played in an ill-fated attempt at Temple of Elemental Evil a few years ago using 3.5....

When 4E came out, she was ambivalent, but after seeing us put some characters together, expressed some interest but was still intimidated by flipping through all the books and trying to figure out how all the abilities and rules socket together.

I showed her the character builder, and in 10 minutes, she had a complete, accurate and very functional 1st level human fighter. After our first session of the most current campaign, I gave everyone the opportunity to tweak and adjust their characters, since everyone was still learning the rules and getting used to the new system.

Trish was able to load up her character (the ability to save/update a character is a feature that is incredibly useful), make a few changes, and re-select at-will and encounter powers with ease. Then, it was a snap to print out the new sheet and the new power cards, cut and sleeve them.

I had almost given up all hope of Trish ever joining us for an RPG session again, but the utility of the Character Builder tool and the more streamlined (and forgiving??) ruleset for 4E changed her mind. And our game group is certainly better off for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.