Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric B
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There's one element of luck in the game - the die roll whether a player gets the platform he wants, or not. I understand that this roll helps to introduce some disorder into the very regular and symmetric setup, but at the same time a player can lose the game just to back luck by missing that roll several times. Sure, a building license can be used to counter that bad luck, but it's much more effective to save the license until later to convert neutral platforms.

For this reason, I think we should do away with the die roll and just give players the platform they want. Instead we should find some method to get an irregular initial setup.

We could for example mix all initial tiles face down and place them randomly (or under player control) on the board. After that, an auction is held for the starting positions. I'm wondering whether there are other variant ideas out there... ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One problem with the symmetric setup in the 4-player game I played is that the player who was on the top row was in a much worse position, as he had fewer choices as to connecting places for his start pieces. With five players, the top and bottom folks are both up against the wall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The expert rules sort this as you decide where to place your platforms. Hey you have the German rules and are German, you knew that.

I'm no friend of dice, but with a little thought you can place in such a way that you don't miss out every turn even if you do just roll '1's. The counter to this is to use the license early doors to block other players opportunities. And so it goes on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fel Barros
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Senior Game Developer at CMON
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a clogged board going into the last round and two dice rolls meant a huge loss of points in the end.

We're planning on a 4-player game with IPF instead of Engineer , no dice and no fixed setup, let's see how it goes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this as a variant:

Instead of players picking a space to claim, at the start of the bidding step, each player rolls 2 different coloured D6. One die corresponds to the X axis on the board and the other the Y axis (ignore the river spaces). Place a token (of some kind, just to mark which spaces were rolled) in each of the corresponding spaces. If doubles were rolled, the player may place the token either in the corresponding space as normal, or in the river space that corresponds to the result on one of the dice.

When bidding, instead of gaining a bonus resource after each bid, the player gets to choose which of the rolled spaces to claim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.