Subject: Is this game balanced or not? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bastian Winkelhaus
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played this game twice so far, both with 4 players, both times i won handily by constructing the servants house (points for buildings not built at end of game) for money and place 2 guys there for 6+7 =13 money. The second game i even announced it while explaining the rules. Still nobody could stop it.

This building looks grossly unbalanced to me. After you built and placed the workers, you dont have to build any more, you just collect money, place more workers and get points for other people building with the master builder. At least they made a special rule, that you cannot play the master builder every round....

Can someone please tell me that this was all just because of our inexperience and that in your game, nearly every building is built???

So far im afraid, that this building, and therefor the game is not balanced...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com

While I can't answer your question, I sure hope you are wrong! I've really been looking forward to this game.

And... welcome to the Geek!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
In our 4p game, there were only two unbuilt buildings by the end of the 12th round. The player with the guys on the tower bonus spots cranked out towers and the person with guys on the house bonus spot built houses. All the bonuses at the end seemed fairly equal, but the incentives for some helped other spots, meaning that placing guys to get gate points also helps the person who wants guys placed on the circles.

I sort of wonder if the money hoarder is the way to go, with a "Master Builder" - "Merchant" cycling. Janna suggested this to me.

We really did not like the rule that the person who builds the building can then place guys on those spots. I am hoping we got this rule wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BibKamp318
Belgium
Beerse [near Turnhout]
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Must be inexperience of the other players. In my last game all 3 spaces were occupied by the 2 other players but I still won.

I have played with 2, 3 and 4 players and it really depends how the game evolves as to which worker placement is the more successful one.
I have seen the forge generating 10+ points or just 3.
The one that did work every time in our games was the stable - if you focus on it and can take both spots - many, many points there.
In a 2 player game we even went for the palace, also good point generation there.

The key thing is to decide early what your main victory point generating strategy is, and make sure in the same round to construct the building AND place the worker. If you can do that in the round before you will be the starting player, then in your starting player round you can organise to even take the other spot and put a worker there. Carefull planning required though: you need the resources and the right cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Luk, Does this mean that you cannot place both meeples on the same location when placing a max of 2? If I have traders down, play merchant, then play the one that gives gold instead of VPs, I can generally build a building then place two guys to take up the two spots in the building I just built.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Pitman
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
Luk, Does this mean that you cannot place both meeples on the same location when placing a max of 2? If I have traders down, play merchant, then play the one that gives gold instead of VPs, I can generally build a building then place two guys to take up the two spots in the building I just built.

Correct. From the rules.

"If you use 2 helpers in one round, you must
distribute them on different buildings. In
another round, you can position a helper in
the same building in which there is already
one of your helpers, if there is still a place
available"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Pitman
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

As people have said above it all depends on how the individual game plays. After my last game I though The Keep was broken - 3VPs for each unoccupied copper space in the Castle. We built most of the buildings but had relatively few workers down, think this got me 24 points! Der Palas can be very powerful too, I got both workers on there in the game before.

I think there is no one "killer" worker spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
zlorfik wrote:
I won handily by constructing the servants house (points for buildings not built at end of game) for money and place 2 guys there for 6+7 =13 money.

Did you put both guys there on the same turn?

If so, you can't do that. It's against the rules. (See the previous posts.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viva
Netherlands
Zeeland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MonkeyMagic wrote:

After my last game I though The Keep was broken - 3VPs for each unoccupied copper space in the Castle. We built most of the buildings but had relatively few workers down, think this got me 24 points!

We played a 2P game last night and the Keep (with only one place to be occupied) is in our opinion not balanced with only 7 helpers each, of which some are also placed at the carts.
A 2VP (or even 1VP) rule should be more balanced as it looked like.
Maybe it is our inexperience with the game as well, till now we only played it 3 times summer side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Remenak
United States
Northviille
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
zlorfik wrote:
This building looks grossly unbalanced to me. After you built and placed the workers, you dont have to build any more, you just collect money, place more workers and get points for other people building with the master builder.

You cannot place workers without building...

See page 5 under Bricklayer and Stonemason

"Only if you have erected at least one
building may you use up to 2 helpers in the
current round (page 6) and earn victory
points for that in the final scoring."

-Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
Paragrin wrote:
You cannot place workers without building...

See page 5 under Bricklayer and Stonemason

"Only if you have erected at least one
building may you use up to 2 helpers in the
current round (page 6) and earn victory
points for that in the final scoring."

-Michael

I missed that too the first time I played. It makes a *huge* difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Schaefer
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played a 3p game last night on BSW where I built the Servant's House and placed two helpers therein.

I came in dead last with 50 pts.

I'm not experienced at this game so there are other factors to consider here, but it wasn't powerful enough for an inexperienced player to trounce or even compete with two good players, and neither of them even tried to fight me for the spots. Based on that, I don't think it's unbalanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.