Popular Tags: [View All]
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
So are these blowhards apologizing today on fox news? Did they give out that One Penny and a statement that they were wrong? That is what I want to see. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
GAWD wrote:

My bad. Where have I been?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say that I find the Austrian School really fascinating. The only problem is that it is largely untested because no government has ever "not intervened".

Obama appears to be headed towards the exact opposite of what the Austrain school recommends. He is going to pump in money HARD. Since nobody can decide what is the lesson to be learned from the Great Depression and the Japanese recent recession, it looks that this time would be the final test of the Keynesian model.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I don't know that I'd use the terms "lying" and "truth". Somebody will always be right and somebody always wrong when it comes to economics.

As for me, when I sold my real estate in 2006 (at the the height of the market) I used the money to un-encumber myself of all debt. All debt. That left me with basically no "wealth". But also no debt. Which means, as Schiff seems to be saying, that everything I do from now on will be creating personal wealth.

So he was right. That time. I don't see a lengthy recession so much as I do a realignment of priority. If you use consumerism to gauge our American economy and if consumerism fails to return to prominence in the next 5 years or so then you could assert we are in a long recession. But that might only be true in terms of a consumer-based economic growth.

As a layman I don't make any claims to understanding the complexity of world economics. But I have noticed that economists don't seem to have much of a grip either. People like Schiff just have to adapt a philosophy of saying the same thing over and over, through the years and eventually they'll be right for some of those years. The other guys will be right the rest of the years.

My next 10 years will be based on amassing what personal wealth I can... mostly in money or secure investments and only in real estate again if I feel the need to own and be tied down to a piece of land.

Sometime in the next 20-30 years I want my heart to explode while boffing a 22 year old super-chick and leave my children a pile of cash and a family legacy of going out in style. Schiff would probably agree that is a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a fantastic website called EconTalk hosted by Russ Roberts (Professor of Economics at George Mason University). He interviews a bunch of heavy hitter economists including several Nobel Laureates (Friedman, Smith, Becker, etc.)

Peter Boettke talks about the Austrian School in 12/10/2007 episode. Another relevant one is Selgin's interview on free-banking.

Anyway, good stuff if you're a political/econ geek like me.

http://www.econtalk.org/archives.html#date
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:

Sometime in the next 20-30 years I want my heart to explode while boffing a 22 year old super-chick ......

i don't know DW.. shagging 20 somethings seems to impress male friends, but i'd add 10-15 years to that to find a woman that knows a bit about actually "rooting"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.