M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this is my first session report, and I'll try to keep it brief. Furthermore, I'll be posting up images of our sessions soon, so hold your horses regarding cute imagery of a little boy having fun.

My boy, Jonathan Jacob Dimitri, is now 1 year and 9 months old. He is thus quite a ways shy of the 30+ months that the box advertises.

Nevertheless, I felt that getting Jonathan interested in board games is my priority number one, especially since my other son (from another marriage - not living with me) has no interest whatsoever in gaming, despite being a ripe 7 years old. Of course, 7 years old is a bit of an in-between age - too old for baby games, and too younger for maturer games, and he's never really played much, but I digress. shake

Back to the story. It's in fact the story of two sessions. One of forty minutes (the first, last night) and one of twenty minutes (the second, this evening).

The first session started with us unpacking the game in front of our little one. I'm in the process of translating the game rules, so I kind of knew what the idea is and what the pieces are for. Jonathan, however, did not, so he started babbling loudly and throwing all kinds of components around.

After this poor start to our gaming campaign, things rapidly improved as we let Jonathan help us get the pieces out of the frames. He struggled a little, but after a bit he got the idea of what he was supposed to do and got right down to it, and in no time the game was ready to play.

The parts of the felt high top were soon discarded, and it was dice time. Or die time, to be more precise. However, Jonathan's take on this was to take hold of the die and hurl it as far as possible. We even lost the die for a bit, as it rolled under one of the couches.

Pretending to play, we managed to get to the first color tile, which was making funny noises. This was a little hard to understand for Jonathan, but he did make a gurgling sound. Next up was crawling, and that was an immediate hit. From there on we just went with the cards, my wife selecting those she thought he'd like.

Some of his favorites are hugging, going round in a circle singing a song, crawling through everyone's legs, and pulling one's foot to one's face. The only thing he wasn't too interested in was the yellow cards that want you to copy animal sounds. He made the sounds for some of them, but he's simply not that interested at the moment.

So, we had a thoroughly enjoyable time, and Jonathan has successfully entered the gaming scene in our opinion.

Then today I got home from work, tired and ready to eat, but still managed to pull my foot to my face as I took my shoes off, with Jonathan watching. From that point there was only one thing he wanted to do, and that was play the game!

The second session was one we played for only a short while, as we were all tired, and kinda ready for bed. We only used the cards/tiles, and only those which Jonathan had shown to like. It was a bit of a mixed bag, in so far as that Jonathan enjoyed the game, but continued to be really distracted throughout.

It took the crawling card/tile to get him going again. We will certainly play this more often - it's wonderful watching our son enjoy himself so thoroughly. Especially the fact that he's spending fun time with both of his parents at the same time makes this game a hit for Jonathan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.