Damon Thomas
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Enough said...

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Android/androi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fianlly a chance to see if this is what I really want!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They probably posted them sooner than intended because of the unexpectedly weak reaction from Murder 101. Reading...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
I don't think I will read them for the time being as I just ordered AH and am anxiously waiting for it to arrive on my mail. (Don't want a rules overload.)

I will just say that as an ex- table top gamer, one of the reasons I came to thematic board games is precisely because I did not have to fiddle with rulers. This game uses rulers so it looses a lot of points with me there. And you can't play solo, which is why I ordered Arkham even though it's a 3-5 hour game. I think the fact that Android is a 3-5 player game will make it a tougher sell than AH. I hope the game sells well though, as I love all the theme and quality components FFG put into their games.

Sorry for making comparisons instead of commenting on the rules. I'm just desperate to get my first AH game in, and I'm reading everything related to FFG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Maddening
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
They probably posted them sooner than intended because of the unexpectedly weak reaction from Murder 101. Reading...

We posted them so folks would have some reading over the long Thanksgiving weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremyffg wrote:
ekted wrote:

We posted them so folks would have some reading over the long Thanksgiving weekend.

They're only 48 pages. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Niezelski
United States
Seymour
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, they actually are. I don't think I've ever played a board game with a 48 page rulebook.

[edit] I'm on page 6 and quite liking what I see...

[edit] On page 10 and tempted to stop, since I think I might be sold...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:

That's 16 pages per hour!
surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Melange Mining"

I wonder if they are setting this "universe" up for the Dune remake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Maddening
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
jeremyffg wrote:
ekted wrote:

There's also the Cosmic Encounter rules, a new Talisman article, a new BattleLore scenario...you shouldn't be bored this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK. Read them.

A short summary. But details from the various cards are not revealed in the rules.

Player get a limited amount of time each round (day) to do actions, including movement. There are 14 days in the game. They are trying to gain evidence on the murder, which will get them points if the crime resolves the same way as their hunches.

But it does not appear that "solving" the crime is more important than the other two sources of points.

Each player will resolve two "plots" for his character, trying to get good outcomes for each plot point. There is a start, an intermediate and a final for each plot. While a start or intermediate card is currently being resolved, there may effect the player. Final card effects are for the rest of the game. VPs are available from both final cards. The second weeks plot is determined from the final card of the first week. Each detective has his own plots.

In addition a player is collecting favors of four standard types, and information on the two corporations. The points awarded for these are partially influenced by the outcome of the conspiracy.

Players will also be playing detective specific Light and Dark cards on themselves and others respectively. There is a scale that forces some balance between light and dark. The rules suggest that a player play one of each every day.

Events tied to the specific crime as well as general events will occur on a schedule determined by the calendar (turn record). There are more cards that will come out in any given play. Each crime is also a scenario that is chosen before the game. (there is a suggested "first" scenario) The scenario determines which suspects (one more than the number of players), events, and some of the starting setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Maddening
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
Actually, looks more like they dumped a whole bunch of stuff online at once because the website people might be needed as warehouse monkeys for the Christmas sale.

Brilliant deduction, my friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Made it to page 25. Can't take it any more. Deleted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Richard
United States
Avon
US
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:

Too full of anticipation or disgust?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IndianaJohn wrote:
ekted wrote:

Too full of anticipation or disgust?

Just not a fan of any aspect of the design. I think the only things that kept me going were the climax, the happy ending, and the boobies. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Niezelski
United States
Seymour
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm liking what I see in the rules, but they really don't give me a good idea of how a game would play out. I think I'll need to wait for a review/session report or two before deciding on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Cubberley
United Kingdom
Luton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
jeremyffg wrote:
MrSkeletor wrote:
Actually, looks more like they dumped a whole bunch of stuff online at once because the website people might be needed as warehouse monkeys for the Christmas sale.

Brilliant deduction, my friend.

They don't call me captain columbo for nothing.

Nobody calls you that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DuckAndCower wrote:
I'm liking what I see in the rules, but they really don't give me a good idea of how a game would play out.

I think getting a look at the cards will help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happier with the mechanics for evidence gathering now I've seen the full rules. It seems that players take on the roles of narrators as well as particular detectives, and the game is an attempt to tell a story as much as anything. Definitely one to check out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not in any rush to come to an opinion on Android. I'll be waiting for reviews before I buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Corzo
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kester wrote:
I'm happier with the mechanics for evidence gathering now I've seen the full rules. It seems that players take on the roles of narrators as well as particular detectives, and the game is an attempt to tell a story as much as anything. Definitely one to check out.

Yeah, it reminds me of tose Indie RPG's where the players tell a story together instead of there being a DM. Only problem here is that there is a competitive element where you are trying to "win" the game.

So the narrative element seems a bit contrived. It's like I want to win the game so I put this evidence on this character and I need extra VP with this so I'll try and link this group to the conspiracy.

There's no deduction in this game right? I mean the guilty NPC and indicted group (conpirators, is this a word?) are all subject to the players deciding by their actions right? Not because they actually did anything wrong but because the players decided who was guilty and which corp was part of the conpiracy.

I still feel like I'm missing something vital to understanding the game soI'm still hopeful, but the competitive element I think detracts from the group narrative element.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Niezelski
United States
Seymour
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think part of the problem is that so many people are expecting a deduction game rather than some kind of strategy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like major point swings will be in determining which suspect is guilty, and in the character plots. The conspiracy will determine which favors the player has at the end are worth extra points, so that there will be less of a swing.

But the plots seem at least as important as "solving" the crime. The solution of the crime is based on accumulating evidence, then at the end the suspect that appears most guilty is arrested. At which point the police close the case. In other words, much like the real world, not a Sherlock Holmes story with "clues" that prove the solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan schnake
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
That's too much dough unless it's murder. And if it's murder, it's not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
DuckAndCower wrote:
I think part of the problem is that so many people are expecting a deduction game rather than some kind of strategy game.

Yes, I think that's right. There are logic murder mystery games (Clue, Murder on the Orient Express, etc.) and less commonly, narrative murder mystery games (Consulting Detective, various "party" murder games), and the task at hand is finding out whodunnit. It's a natural expectation when a game is a "detective" game.

This game has the players themselves determining who is guilty by the "evidence" assigned to the suspects. Part of your victory points are determined by whether you guess correctly on which suspect eventually accumulates the most evidence, and is therefore "guilty."

Add into the mix that player characters have "lifestyle" issues to resolve in a positive manner. In the rules example, the winning player missed out on solving the murder, unlike another player, but won because of better lifestyle outcomes.

Beyond this, the mechanics in the game are also unusual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Farrell
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am personally enjoying the rules that were posted. Maybe it is the theme thats really getting to me but I am more excited by it now than i was a few days ago reading just the Murder 101 post. Knowing the guys I normally play with this looks like something right up their alley as well.

Looks like another FFG purchase for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.