Subject: First attempt at a Solo game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a great game playing with just one hero. Having a Mystery Round at the end of every turn, certainly added a lot of pressure.

I'm sure glad I chose Isabella 'The Invincible' for my character.

The Showdown: (third time lucky as there was a Mystery card in play that prevented my first two attempts)

Isabella:
7 Combat (6+1 Town Elder)
37 Wounds (2 + 35 Investigation + 1 Town Elder)
versus
The Spectral Horseman
6 Combat (5 + 1 Evil Town Elder)
plus
17 Wounds (6 + 8 for 4 Collected Souls + 3 other Bonuses)

Isabella eventually won with a lucky perfect throw of 5 scoring hits and 15 Wounds to spare. Anyone else would have been toast.

I also had to play a couple of cards to prevent the Shadow level from dropping to zero.

It felt like a close run affair.

Overall, it took about 90 minutes to play at a very leisurely pace but it should be possible to set up play and pack away in about an hour.

I enjoyed it much more than the six newbie player game that I played earlier in the week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(\____/)
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Steve,

Nice session report! I have played a couple of solo games with just one hero myself. And the hero has been toasted every time! laugh Then I tried it with two heroes, but thought that there was a bit too much stuff to remember and keep track of. But I agree that ATOE is a fun solo game. My games have lasted about an hour, including set-up, but like I said my heroes didn't live very long.

As a side note, it's incredible how the dice can go against you, even when you're playing alone... it seems that all of the 5 and 6 throws go to the villain! shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
37 Wounds (2 + 35 Investigation + 1 Town Elder)

How many turns did you play to mass 35 investigation ? Sounds a lot. Did you play advanced or basic ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the Advanced game where I had to throw a Spirit or Cunning test to collect any Investigation points.

However, I was lucky enough to draw these two Mystery cards early :

'The Hour is Late' - Each Hero gets 2 Investigation at the start of each Mystery Phase.

'Evil is On The Move' Place 2 Investigation in every named space on the board. Any Lair card is canceled on the D6 roll of 5+.

The latter turned out to be a double edged sword as it also cancelled my first two Showdowns.

I was able to power up to Spirit level 5 early on which helped me collect the Investigation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tommih wrote:
Hi Steve,

Nice session report! I have played a couple of solo games with just one hero myself. And the hero has been toasted every time! laugh Then I tried it with two heroes, but thought that there was a bit too much stuff to remember and keep track of. But I agree that ATOE is a fun solo game. My games have lasted about an hour, including set-up, but like I said my heroes didn't live very long.

As a side note, it's incredible how the dice can go against you, even when you're playing alone... it seems that all of the 5 and 6 throws go to the villain! shake

Hi Tommi,

Try using Isabella next time and collecting 20-25 Investigation.

She's so overpowered with the ability to pay off her wounds, that she is damn near invincible.

I suspect that her powers will have to be curbed officially if she is not be declared broken.

I think she should have to pay two Investigation to prevent any wound.

In any case, I bet you win your next solo game with her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.