Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, to the people who put the spoilers in that thread, I'm sure people who haven't seen it would appreciate it if you edited your posts to not give anything away.

For everyone's information, the game spoils season 1, and maybe a bit of season 2. If you care about spoilers, I would recommend watching all of season one, and then getting this game.

Also, if you want to remain completely hint-free, you may want to skip the rest of this thread. Sorry. The fundamental human urge to share one's knowledge and opinion must be very strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
For everyone's information, the game spoils season 1, and maybe a bit of early season 2.

If you haven't seen the episodes then I don't see any reason to play the game...

People play this because they are fans of the show (and have probably seen the pilot and a few episodes). If they are not fans of the show then they either won't mind seeing any spoilers (if there are any) or they won't understand them at all. In any case, I don't think the game spoils anything important that you don't find out about in the pilot.

Seriously though, you should stop being worried about spoilers and just enjoy the game. I played it with a friend of mine who has only seen a few episodes and he didn't have any problems at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're wrong. Not everyone is like you, and this is a good game regardless of whether you've seen the show.

Furthermore, I'm not talking about the game. I'm talking about the forum, where people go to get information about the game. In fact, I'm talking about the thread where people who have not seen the show check to see if the game has spoilers. That thread has spoilers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
Furthermore, I'm not talking about the game. I'm talking about the forum, where people go to get information about the game.

You mention that the game spoils the series and I answered on that, not on what you say about the forum (that's why I even quoted your phrase).

Ok, my first sentence before was an overstatement mainly to emphasize. Don't get me wrong, I can understand someone playing the game without having seen the series. My point however, is that if they haven't seen anything then they probably don't even know the characters and they won't remember if they read something about character X doing "that" on character "Y" and so on. If however they've seen the pilot then there aren't that many important spoilers in the game for them. They know all the important stuff from what they've seen.

I could be forgetting something but as I said, I don't think this is such a big problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because it's not a big problem isn't a good reason to not tell people how big a problem it is!

If you hadn't seen the series, don't you think you'd be curious how much is spoiled by this game? All I did in the sentence you quoted was answer that question...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this. I have never seen the show. I've heard it's good, but just never got around to watching it. This game coming out sparked my interest in the show, so we have just started watching. I have the game and just started the show this past weekend, so I went to the "spoiler" thread to see how much of the show I should watch before reading too much about, or playing the game. I didn't expect there to be spoilers in that thread, but there were a few. The whole point of a thread like that is because people want to avoid spoilers, so I don't know what people are thinking when they post open spoilers in there.

We've now watched the mini-series and 5 more episodes and I love the show. I won't be playing the game until I finish season 1 though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and I had never seen, read, nor knew anything about Lord of the Rings before playing Knizia's game. Go ahead and revoke my geek status, but the game is what got me interested in the story. Same here. I'm just glad I wasn't spoiled about
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Gandalf being a Cylon
before watching the movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how the game spoils much of anything. There are cylon identities that are "spoiled", but you find them all out in the miniseries. I guess the crisis cards show pictures of stuff that happens, but it is with such little detail that nothing should be spoiled.
I recommend watching the miniseries first, if you really care. But even those tiny spoilers aren't a big deal.
And judging by the enthusiastic response to the game of 3 of my gaming group who have never seen the series, anyone who claims that only fans can play is being disingenuous or ignorant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Walsh
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hoc Spatium Mercede
badge
This is another fine mess you've gotten us into.
mbmbmbmbmb
GameMasterX0 wrote:
I don't see how the game spoils much of anything. There are cylon identities that are "spoiled", but you find them all out in the miniseries. I guess the crisis cards show pictures of stuff that happens, but it is with such little detail that nothing should be spoiled.
I recommend watching the miniseries first, if you really care. But even those tiny spoilers aren't a big deal.
And judging by the enthusiastic response to the game of 3 of my gaming group who have never seen the series, anyone who claims that only fans can play is being disingenuous or ignorant.

No, no. You don't understand. Having the original experience of the show is on par to watching the birth of a child, or a first kiss. The rest of us must "walk softly" on the internet self-censoring our every post - even on a page devoted to a game that itself reveals minor plot points - in order to cater to those who have not yet had the life changing experience of seeing the miniseries or show for the first time. How selfish of you to say that these "aren't a big deal." You can't expect everyone to share your evaluation. But it's perfectly rational to expect people to go back an edit all their posts to remove spoilers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, there are people, such as myself, who are familiar enough with the show through hearing friends discuss it to get the premise of the game pretty well, but not actually know many of the details of the show.

Fortunantely, I tend not to care about spoilers. But now I do know a good deal of season 1 spoilers about characters, who granted, I didn't know who they were beforehand, but would probably recognize instantly if I started watching the show.

Cylon type spoilers are easiest to see from the loyalty cards. Whether this stuff is revealed in the pilot (EDIT: People above say its in the miniseries.) or not, I have no clue. Whether there are spoilers on the crisis cards is trickier for me to say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
Favre4MVP wrote:
Oh, and I had never seen, read, nor knew anything about Lord of the Rings before playing Knizia's game. Go ahead and revoke my geek status, but the game is what got me interested in the story.

But would you really expect people to go back and delete any "spoilers" from the books they might have accidentally written? How old does something have to be before we can mention it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bourrillion
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say there a couple of heavy spoilers for the miniseries, but for the rest of season 1? I didn't notice a problem there.

(I'm talking about in the game itself.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Pitman
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I HATE spoilers of any kind. I like to know nothing about the plot of a film or book before I watch/read it. To the extent that I dont read the back of books and get hacked off by a lot of trailers. Many people feel the same, many others differently.

I think that whenever people are discussing details about a book or film that others may not know it is courteous to at least warn people.

The Hound of the Baskervilles was written in 1901 but I still would not discuss the details of it without warning as to know these in advance would ruin a lot of the enjoyment of the story, which not everyone will know.

I had watched the mini-series only and was interested in looking at this game at Essen. Although a lot of info is given away in the final scene of the mini-series (note how I avoided mentioning what) there are other details I would not want to know in advance. After reading the threads I avoided the game and will come back to it after I have finished Season 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Walsh
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hoc Spatium Mercede
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The Hound of the Baskervilles was written in 1901 but I still would not discuss the details of it without warning as to know these in advance would ruin a lot of the enjoyment of the story, which not everyone will know.

So if you *choose* to go to a site where one might reasonably expect the plot of Hound of the Baskervilles to be discussed it's up to the rest of us to make sure your *potential* enjoyment of the story is protected? Your blissful ignorance takes precidence over our enjoyment of discussing a story we have actually read?

If you choose to go to the BGG entry for a game based on a TV show you're likely to find out information you might not want to know. That's your problem, not mine. Why don't you create a thread and mark it "Discussion of the BSG boardgame (No Spoilers)"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ebon Hawk
United States
Janesville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How long does one have to wait before discussing something that might be a spoiler? This show has been out for quite a while. I can understand not spoiling anything from the last year or so, but going back a number of years to not spoil something? I don't think that is necessary. I shouldn't have to mark everything "spoiler" if you haven't taken the time to watch the show that has been out since 2003 for the miniseries and season one in 2004. That is 4 years ago. If you want to avoid spoilers, start a "no spoilers" thread or avoid a site where the majority of people have bothered to see something within the last 4-5 years.

Also, don't follow this link in case you are worried about spoilers. http://www.threadless.com/product/844/Spoilt?=

Edits - proof reading, I should try it more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't believe some people still aren't grasping this:

There is a thread discussing whether the game has spoilers. THAT THREAD HAD SPOILERS IN IT.

This isn't a website discussing Hound of the Baskervilles. This is someone asking whether that website has spoilers and someone else replying with a spoiler!

Yes, it's reasonable to have spoilers in such a site. However, even the rest of this forum is not analogous. A lot of people are interested in this game without having seen the show. This is a site about games. It's quite reasonable to warn people if you're going to be discussing plot, and it is not hard at all. It literally takes one click. Yes, some people do care about this, even if you do not. Why not show some compassion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
I can't believe some people still aren't grasping this:

There is a thread discussing whether the game has spoilers. THAT THREAD HAD SPOILERS IN IT.

The thread in question only contains very mild spoilers. In the case of the post which you made me delete, I only posted information readily available on the bloody DVD box. If people are generalizing this discussion, it's because they disagree (or in some cases, agree) with the principle behind it, and not because they "aren't grasping it".

I have no wish to ruin anybody else's enjoyment of the show, but on the other hand I have no wish to self-censor every other word I write about this game. What's next, we shouldn't discuss the human
victory conditions

of the game 'cause, you know, they do contain serious spoilers?
(They do, really)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the point is not that there are spoilers about the show here on BGG. That's perfectly fine. The game relates to the show....talk about the show. The issue is that there is a specific thread where people who haven't seen the show yet, but are interested in doing so, are being told plot spoilers. There's a big difference.

No, it's not a huge deal. I'm still watching the show, I'm still excited to play the game. People should be free to talk about the show as much as they want to...just not in a thread specifically started so people could avoid spoilers. That's the point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Walsh
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hoc Spatium Mercede
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem at all with this warning thread.

Quote:
Yes, the point is not that there are spoilers about the show here on BGG. That's perfectly fine. The game relates to the show....talk about the show.

Tell that to the OP. It is irritating is when the self-appointed spoiler police enter *other* threads to chide people for their game related discussion. The OP seems to think this is his obligation. It seems like when the shoe is on the other foot he doesn't care for someone coming to preach in his threads.

My comments pertained to the "I hate all spoilers" post and the like, which had no direct connection to the original point of warning people away from other threads. If you don't like spoilers fair enough, but the rest of the world isn't responsible for maintaining your bubble of ignorance about plot details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pete Walsh wrote:
Tell that to the OP. It is irritating is when the self-appointed spoiler police enter *other* threads to chide people for their game related discussion. The OP seems to think this is his obligation. It seems like when the shoe is on the other foot he doesn't care for someone coming to preach in his threads.

Hey! Be nice, Peter.

I posted one single post ever about spoilers in another thread. It said "Please add spoiler tags or note at the top that you have season 1 spoilers."

After the reaction to that was less than stellar, I let that be and just put up this thread to warn people about the spoilers in the thread about whether there are spoilers, because I'm pretty sure we can all agree that's not a good idea.

What more do you want me to do? And why do you keep directing such vitriol at me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jens_hoppe wrote:
The thread in question only contains very mild spoilers. In the case of the post which you made me delete, I only posted information readily available on the bloody DVD box. If people are generalizing this discussion, it's because they disagree (or in some cases, agree) with the principle behind it, and not because they "aren't grasping it".

First, I did not make you delete anything. Please don't exaggerate like that. It's mean.

I sent you the following geekmail:

Quote:
Hey Jens,

In this thread about BSG spoilers http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/335798, you said [REMOVED] which is a spoiler.

Would you mind editing that out for anyone else who sees the thread? I asked the other guy who posted that to do the same.

Thanks, Sean

Second, I don't care how mild you deem the spoilers to be. This is the thread where someone is asking whether there are spoilers! This is the equivalent of putting not very many peanuts in the food for the People Who Are Allergic To Peanuts convention.

That particular spoiler happened to piss me off. Do you have a better measure of how bad spoilers are than how much they piss people off?

Quote:
I have no wish to ruin anybody else's enjoyment of the show, but on the other hand I have no wish to self-censor every other word I write about this game. What's next, we shouldn't discuss the human
victory conditions

of the game 'cause, you know, they do contain serious spoilers?
(They do, really)

I disagree they contain noticeable spoilers, but it seems needlessly stupid to talk about it in the thread about whether there are spoilers... That entire thread should have ended after the first person said that there are major spoilers for season 1, and minor spoilers for season 2. Same with this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Walsh
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hoc Spatium Mercede
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sean,

I am sorry to pick on you, but you've pushed a button here. A guy wants to post a neat variant idea and you come in as the first response to tell him he should start conforming to your needs regarding spoilers. Nobody forced you to read that thread. I'm not sure where you got the notion that we're all responsible for keeping you or others from encountering spoilers, but it's way out of line for a game discussion. You didn't even comment on the variant idea. I'm sure you're a really nice guy, but you came off as a completely rude, self-entitled brat (which is not the same as saying you *are* such a person).

I have no problem with you warning people about spoilers in another thread. Knock yourself out. You've as much as admitted that maybe your post in the other thread wasn't such a hot idea. It wasn't. I don't understand how you can repeatedly go on about how other people's evaluations of what is or isn't important information cannot be applied to you, while you unapologetically tried (and it seems to me are still trying) to have your standard applied to the rest of us. Hence the vitriol. If you want your standard to apply - set up your own no spoilers thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you want your standard to apply - set up your own no spoilers thread.

I must be misunderstanding you somehow. You are aware that I started this thread?

Edit: Hm, I was not aware you were offended by my post in the other thread. My apologies. There, I was concise because I was typing from my phone. I saw it as helping out the OP, not being irritating; if I had been the OP in that situation, I would have been grateful that someone quickly pointed out I forgot the spoiler tags. All I remember getting are replies by people who thought the very idea of hiding spoilers was offensive. I didn't know that it was just the terseness in that post that was rude. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Pitman
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pete Walsh wrote:

My comments pertained to the "I hate all spoilers" post and the like, which had no direct connection to the original point of warning people away from other threads. If you don't like spoilers fair enough, but the rest of the world isn't responsible for maintaining your bubble of ignorance about plot details.

I think you are referring to my post, although I am not sure how you decided it "had no direct connection to the original point".

One of the things I was trying to convey was regarding the level of information that I (and some others) regard to be a spoiler. Which is almost any information.

What I did not mean was that you should censor all discussions to avoid such things. I would expect threads discussing the BSG game to contain things I consider spoilers and so would avoid reading them. Although even there if someone dropped in info on some crucial final plot twist without warning I would see it as a bit unfair.

I was simply agreeing with the OP. To give away any plot info in a thread specifically for people to read who want to avoid spoilers seems inconsiderate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Walsh
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hoc Spatium Mercede
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sean - I am aware you started this thread. I've noted that it is a good idea. Thanks for the apology re: the variant sympathiser thread. I think you understand the point I've been trying to make about *other* threads.

EDIT: Or maybe you don't see my point. Why do you assume that the OP in the other thread *needed* to post a spoiler tag for your benefit? How about you assume that unless you or someone like minded specifically create a no spoilers thread you're likely to run into them? The internet is big enough for you to create threads suited to your needs. Instead of expecting people to suit their posts to your needs please keep your "reminders" and either accept the inevitable spoiler ($200 up in smoke that day I guess) or create your own thread for discussion of the game (which, BTW this thread is not)

Nick - I am aware that you probably meant your comments to be read as limited to this thread. But when you use absolutes like "I hate all..." it starts to sound like there's an expectation that *anywhere* on the BGG threads where folks want to talk about this game, we're supposed to be concerned about spoiling the show for people. If that's not your expectation - great, sorry for the confusion.

Hypersensitivity about spoilers is appropriate within limits - like any thread specifically titled "no spoilers". (And once again, I get the purpose of *this* thread.) Outside of that, my point is that you really shouldn't expect the rest of us to walk on eggshells for your benefit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.