United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As previously mentioned in this thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/358626

Those elusive oddball sized sleeves will be available from Mayday games shortly (yay!) and pre-orders are being taken for the next 3 weeks. Get 'em while they're Hot!

http://maydaygames.com/index.php/gaming-accessories/euro-gam...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
What's up with those shipping costs??

USPS Parcel post to PA for 10 packs is $8.20?
USPS Priority mail is $11.62

How much could that possibly weigh?

Does this seem excessive to anyone else, or is it just me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shipping has gone up significantly over the last year or so. Perhaps the cost also includes insurance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might be wrong, but 25 packs of 100 card sleeves should easily fit into a Flat Rate Priority box, and thus should cost me $9.80 + cost of insurance (if there is any) and not $20.00.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Hiatt
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike and Dave,

Sorry about that, the site just launched and there were a few bugs in the shipping. We have a Priority Flat Rate price on there now for Shipping to US and Canada. Now you have that option for priority flat rate boxes. Based on the weight of about 0.25 lbs each our best guess for shipping prices via flat rate and large flat rate boxes gets us to the following:

Country Weight (and above) Shipping Price
USA 3 9.8
CAN 4 22.75
USA 10 12.5
CAN 10 28.75
USA 20 25
CAN 20 45.5
USA 30 37.5
CAN 30 57.5
USA 40 50
CAN 40 86.25
USA 50 62.5
CAN 50 115

Working on the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
So if I'm reading right here that's 100 sleeves for $1.25?

That's basically the same deal you get from Ultra Pro on their penny sleeves; so that leads me to conclude that these are also PENNY sleeves.

Thanks but no thanks. I remain firmly in the camp of using Dragon Shields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
I remain firmly in the camp of using Dragon Shields.

I don't think Dragon Shields come in this size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sphiatt wrote:
Mike and Dave,

Sorry about that, the site just launched and there were a few bugs in the shipping. We have a Priority Flat Rate price on there now for Shipping to US and Canada. Now you have that option for priority flat rate boxes. Based on the weight of about 0.25 lbs each our best guess for shipping prices via flat rate and large flat rate boxes gets us to the following:

Country Weight (and above) Shipping Price
USA 3 9.8
CAN 4 22.75
USA 10 12.5
CAN 10 28.75
USA 20 25
CAN 20 45.5
USA 30 37.5
CAN 30 57.5
USA 40 50
CAN 40 86.25
USA 50 62.5
CAN 50 115

Working on the others.

Thanks Seth. Here's the thing, I was planning on ordering 10 packs (1000 sleeves total) for $12.00. Great. Flat rate aside, shipping USPS parcel post is showing up as $8.20 which is almost as much as the sleeves themselves. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what you're doing here, I just want to make sure I understand. Is there a bug in the website regarding that price or is that the price?. One pack of 100 sleeves weighs what, 1 oz? Ten packs can fit in a large envelope I'm sure. I know shipping rates have increased and all, but I just want to make sure that the $8.20 is correct before I order. I was expecting it to be closer to $5.00 for shipping based on shipping I've payed recently for shipping full sized games out. There should be a cheaper way of shipping out small quantities of lightweight sleeves.

Let me know.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Libby
United States
Middletown
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seth,

I assume, as said earlier, that these are the really thin penny sleeves. I have no interested in those whatsoever. I would much prefer something along the lines of the Ultra-Pro sleeves. Are you guys plan on getting thicker style sleeves in the card sizes for games like Dominion and Agricola?

Thanks!

Gary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
If they are penny-sleeve thickness or thereabouts, count me out.

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Penny sleeves work for me. No need to pay over half the cost of the game for sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I don't think Dragon Shields come in this size.

I have nothing against Mayday's effort to try and perform a good deed with making this size available...however the original premise was that they be a quality above that of penny sleeve. At this price point I do not see how they can be anything but.

As for Dragon Shields not coming in this size; they don't have to. The "standard" size is perfect as is. They just fit vertically, and the entire sleeved card is rigid though it does not fill the whole width. These are top quality sleeves that work great for virtually any card game that is "close" in dimension.

Sorry but at this time this seems to be an attempt to cash in, rather than create new business based on a quality product. Perhaps someone will prove me entirely wrong and I may yet choose to invest in Mayday's product. Time will tell.

I would LOVE to be wrong here. I have 30 games that are dying for this size sleeve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Hiatt
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the interest. For an understanding of where this all came from you may want to go read the original thread about these sleeves here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/357254

First let me address the shipping price. Before calculating the weight on this item we looked at the following item:

Ultra Pro Sleeve Series Card Sleeves:
* Clear sleeves labeled as "Ultra Clear" or "Crystal Clear"
* Sold in packs of 100
* Size = 2 5/8" x 3 5/8"
* Stock #RPSCG-3

There are 100 per pack. Ours are the same thickness/quality as these Ultra Pro so we have used that weight. A pack of 100 sleeves weighs just under 4 ounces, which is why they are 0.25 lb each for shipping. We are including insurance with every shipment at our expense but the shipping cost is the actual cost based on our best estimate of the weight. We aren't trying to gouge anyone here. I am sorry the shipping price is high as a percentage of the product price, but I'd say thats more a function of the product being very cheap than the shipping being high. The retail on these will be $2.25 in about a month and we are only offering the preorder as a special deal. If you have friends/family that want these I'd recommend going in with them at the same time to get the shipping price down on a per unit basis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Hiatt
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As for the quality issue we have plans for a thicker card sleeve in the works but the feedback we got from most pepole initially was that an affordable sleeve that fit the cards was the most important thing to start (see the aforementioned thread). Most people would consider spending $6-10 or so for card sleeves for all 500 of their Dominion cards, but not many want to shell out Dragon Shield money for 500 cards on a game that retails $45 to start with. If you would like to comment on that there is a thread with this discussion at:

www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/357254/page/1

I am sorry about the shipping costs, if anyone wants to send prepaid labels in or provide a UPS account number for shipping we can do that, but the costs are based on the weight of the product and the actual shipping costs. Notice there is no "handling fee" in there either. Feel free to come pick up in 3-4 weeks when we have them in stock if you'd like too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh

Sydney
NSW
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I just wish an American company would start offering sleeves for FFG-size cards... between Descent, Twilight Imperium, and so forth, I have a lot of cards to sleeve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Most people would consider spending $6-10 or so for card sleeves for all 500 of their Dominion cards, but not many want to shell out Dragon Shield money for 500 cards on a game that retails $45 to start with.

That's VERY true Seth, and thank you for being so forthcoming. When you have heavier gauge sleeves I will most certainly seek you out.

At Euroquest we had discussed sleeving the cards for a given game vs simply buying another copy. The jury is still out on that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Hall
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:

At Euroquest we had discussed sleeving the cards for a given game vs simply buying another copy. The jury is still out on that one.

Well for this game I don't think the jury is still out...It would cost more for the dragon sleeves than the game. surprise "Penny" sleeves should work just great for a game where the cards do not carry individual gray market value like the ccgs and sports trading cards the heavyweight sleeves were designed for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
For anyone in the UK or EU, we at Board Game Extras are again linking up with Mayday Games to offer this product to the UK and EU.
For 5 sets of 100 sleeves:
UK cost is £9.25 including delivery
EU cost is £13.25 including delivery
for more info please see:
http://www.boardgameextras.co.uk/item.php?id=163&name=500+Eu...

thank you,

Andrew Wood
BoardGameExtras
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.