Alessandro Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m writing this TUTORIAL trying to details every necessary step to create “Unofficial Formula Dé Tracks”.
All this tutorial is centered on FreeHand MX vector software by Macromedia.

1. First of all you have to find out the “PLACE” for your new track.

2. Next you have to gain a “High-Res” image of that location (usually I use Google Earth and stitch together all images)

3. Now, open FreeHand, create a page of desired dimensions (I usually create 500 x 1000 mm)

4. Create a New Layer, call it MAP and drag it at the bottom level.

5. Now use the tool RECTANGLE (R) to draw a rectangle.

6. Drag their edges to fit the entire page borders.

7. Now using menu File > Import (CTRL + R) you have to import your HighRes image (clicking somewhere inside FreeHand document).

8. Drag image edges to resize it and fit the page.

9. Select image and CUT it (CTRL + X).

10. Now select RECTANGLE object inside MAP Layer and Paste Contents (CTRL+MAIUSC+V), in that way the picture will be pasted inside the rectangle and you could move it freely.

11. After finding the desired image position, LOCK the MAP Layer (pressing corresponding lock button).

12. Now create a new layer at the top, call it TRACK and activate it.

13. Select PEN (P) tool and draw the track path.

14. Duplicate it (CTRL+ALT+D) and move it on a layer called BACKGROUND (this layer have to be created immediately over MAP).

15. On BACKGROUND layer, modify object properties using Color “Grey” and Thickness ‘30’.

16. Now duplicate this large grey path, color it WHITE with thickness ‘35’ and send it to back (CTRL+MAIUSC+DOWN ARROW). This way we will create the thin white line around the track.

17. Now back to TRACK Layer, modify path property to ‘0,5’ thickness and duplicate it.

18. Select the first one and use Xtras > Path Operations > Inset Path with value Steps ‘3’, Inset ‘+5

19. Select the second one and use Xtras > Path Operations > Inset Path with value Steps ‘3’, Inset ‘-5

20. Now use SUBSELECT (A) tool to select and remove the inner path on both of them.

21. Duplicate the 4 Paths and move them on a new layer called SPACES.

22. Select all 4 paths and use the KNIFE (K) tool to cut them, dividing straights from turns.

23. Create a Text Object containing "|||||||||||||" with ARIAL font, dimension ‘30’, 150% em

24. Duplicate this TEXT OBJECT loads of time.

25. Select simultaneously one text object and one straight track border and use Text > Attach to Path (CTRL+MAIUSC+Y).

26. Repeat this operation for EVERY straight line.

27. Correct spaces position clicking and moving the white triangle icon.

28. After that you should have see that straights are done!

29. Select external and internal paths on turns and apply this object properties: Color – Red, Thickness – 6, Dashed Line.

30. Move them to BACKGROUND Layer.

31. Repeat this operation for EVERY turns.

32. Select SPACES Layer and use PEN (P) tool to manually draw turn spaces on every lane.

33. Use PEN (P) tool (color: red, thickness: ‘1,5’) to draw start-end position for every turn.

34. Create a Layer called ARROW and insert appropriate arrow indicator inside every Turn Spaces, maybe coloring the longest path with a different color.

35. Create a new Layer called “TURN FLAG” and place previously drawn flags that show longest/shortest path and required stops.

36. Repeat this operation for EVERY turn, modifying appropriate values.

37. Create a Layer called “DISTANCE” to insert little text boxes all around external white track border. Place 1 text box every 5 spaces (1-5-10-15, ecc).

38. Place previously drawn start/finish line and pit stop.

YOU ARE DONE!
This is the final result

Finally you have managed to create your own Formula Dé track!
I hope to see them soon here on BGG.

I've managed to create this tutorial using FreeHand, but I think it could be useful also using some other vector software like Illustrator, InDesign, CorelDraw, ecc.

This is my first tutorial ever, so don't hesitate to ask for more detailed infos (hoping to be clear).
Enjoy racing!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great tutorial, and good to see that Freehand is not dead, despite Adobe's policy to bury it (it is my favourite tool as well). Mille grazie!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...awesome. Thank you very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ah, Freehand, my old friend, I miss you.

Very well done tutorial. I've been meaning to have a crack at a FD map in Illustrator... as soon as I get a break in work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Darles
France
Labenne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea to share with us how to create new tracks. Too bad i don't have Freehand. I hope some guy will a tutorial as good as this with Illustrator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys!
Seeing Thumbs and also GeekGold (Thank you!!!!) I can say that my tutorial has got its point.

I'm really happy you liked it!

That pushes me to learn Illustrator and post another Tutorial...... cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Darles
France
Labenne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And for the ones who want to try your method but don't know which track to choose, i suggest to search on 10 tenth forum. There's a lot of tracks ideas, some based on real map and some completely fantasy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Janson
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!

I suddenly got an urge to create a street race track running through my home town
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malkav wrote:
I suddenly got an urge to create a street race track running through my home town

I hope this tutorial will help you reaching your goal!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Siggins
England
Bexhill
SUSSEX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent tutorial. Thanks a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tornspace wrote:
I'll try to convert this tutorial to PhotoShop as well.

Good idea,
the more program we can cover, the more tracks we will see!!!
If you need some help, ask freely.
CIAO
Alessandro
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Heise
Germany
Wiesbaden
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice tutorial!

Despite many years with Illustrator and Photoshop, I wouldn't have had the idea to use arial text to create the fields... laugh
At the moment I'm trying to find the best method in Illustrator, perhaps I'll be able to either post a tutorial or upload a brush.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awesome!

Unfortunately, I don't have freehand. Does anyone have a good tutorial for this in Illustrator or Photoshop?

Cheers,
Ben.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chobe wrote:

Despite many years with Illustrator and Photoshop, I wouldn't have had the idea to use arial text to create the fields... laugh

And this, my friend, was a great idea you get off your hat, Alessandro.

Nice tutorial.
I am waiting for the same tutorial in AI (CS4?). I know it is hard to leave FH apart and start from scratch with a new program, but I am sure You will not miss the FH bugs anymore...

I hate the Adobe policies, but AI, I sadly say, is a matter of fact, is better than FH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Paschoalin
Brazil
Santo André
SP
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
35. Create a new Layer called “TURN FLAG” and place previously drawn flags that show longest/shortest path and required stops.

Alessandro,

Using Freehand, is there a way to really keep the full transparency when you import a .GIF file? Or should I create the Turn Flags by myself on Freehand instead importing a file?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hansell
United States
Rocklin
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic Post,

It seems like you could easily use the text on a path function in Illustrator to add the dividing lines.

Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fermmoylle wrote:

Using Freehand, is there a way to really keep the full transparency when you import a .GIF file? Or should I create the Turn Flags by myself on Freehand instead importing a file?

Hi Marcelo,
send me a PM with your email and I'll forward you a Vectorial .FH11 file with the Turn Flag inside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Stig
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What key is "MAIUSC"? I thought maybe it was the mouse scroll wheel. That's the only thing that seems to be holding me back. Great tutorial, I've got a number of tracks images already stitched together and waiting.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Stig wrote:
What key is "MAIUSC"?

Sorry for this "italianization".
MAIUSC = SHIFT KEY (to write Capital letters).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
audio file
United States
flag msg tools
thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenyon Daniel
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great thanks! I was looking for something like this. However, I'm curious as to how to decide where a corner begins and ends and how to determine how many "stops" a corner should require?

Thanks for any advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DocLeo wrote:
...I'm curious as to how to decide where a corner begins and ends and how to determine how many "stops" a corner should require?...

Hi Daniel,
corners and stops are all your choice.
My only advice is trying to best fit track path (as to say... if you see a small track deviation you can consider it as a straight, or even a long 1 stop corner).
Try to imagine 1 or 2 lap driven on the track... and it will all come out of the box by itself.

Alessandro

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Mejía
Spain
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot for your tutorialAlessandro
I´m newbie with freehand and i hope to post early my laguna seca track here,soon..

I see two problems in your great tutorial:
-In the 14th step when you duplicate the track,it creates near the old track not upon each other,i must correct the position of the new track and putting upon the old track..
¿Do you know how can i duplicate the track without moving later for correct his position?.
-Other thing..in the step 15 you must have the track layer lock,i think could be good for newbies explain it:when you finish your work in a layer, lock it,don´t you think so?

The last it´s you can explain at step 20 to press and hold MAIUSC and click with subselect for select two or more tracks

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Secret Agent
Sweden
Falun
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im looking forward to see a tutorial in illustrator.

GREAT WORK !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loony Skild
msg tools
10 years later reply

MAIUSC was probably the short for CAPITAL LETTER in Italian

Btw this tutorial is still great! Now trying the photoshop way (less intuitive of course :/)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.