Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Le Havre» Forums » General

Subject: Input needed: A definitive list of inside jokes & humour in Le Havre rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of us probably know that Agricola was full of inside jokes - as is evident here:
Humor on the Agricola card artwork (includes comparison pictures)

It seems that the same is proving to be the case with Le Havre. In a recent GeekList about Games with Inside Jokes for Gamers, several inside jokes were already noted:

This ship is clearly a reference to BGG user Melissa:

Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb

And the cover of the box features a worker carrying a box of Agricola as well as a ship with the name Rosenberg (the designer):

Is this all? Apparently not, because Melissa has this to say:
melissa wrote:
You have not even scratched the surface

Perhaps this thread can serve as a place for people to begin listing the inside jokes and humour that they find in Le Havre. How many others can you find? Let's get to work folks, please send in your suggestions and discoveries and post them here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waffles? Arooo!
United Kingdom
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmb
That dog on the front cover looks remarkably like a sheep to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
[opens door looks for package]

"not here yet soblue"

Closes door.

***Five minutes later***

[opens door looks for package]

"not here yet soblue"

laugh ...as soon as it arrives my friend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what I've found thus far:

Food Production Tokens- as pointed out by Ender and vandermonium above, the ships on food production tokens are named after various playtesters - 28 lucky individuals in all.

Ship Cards
- The Iron Ship cards have ships named after famous French sea-side cities/ports.
- The Steel Ship cards have ships named after other famous European sea-side cities/ports and with their corresponding colours/flags hoisted, e.g. Amsterdam, Lissabohn (Lisbon). In particular, card no S12 - Steel Ship Triest has a twinned - Italy/Austria Flag hoisted, which I presume is a reference to the annexation of Triest from Austria-Hungary to Italy in 1920.
- The Luxury Liners are named after persons - Andrea, Suzanne, and Doris. Possible suspects: Andrea Boekhoff, Susanne Rosenberg, Doris Matthäus?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dale Yu also has a ship named after him. I know this because he mentioned it, so I specifically took that ship from the stockpile when I was playing the game with him laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
mimi2 wrote:
Food Production Tokens- as pointed out by Ender and vandermonium above, the ships on food production tokens are named after various playtesters - 28 lucky individuals in all.

I didn't do any playtesting, but I helped out with the proofreading, so they were nice enough to put my name on one of the tokens. I'm on a 3 token; had they checked out my waistline, they might have given me a higher value!

Melissa also snuck my name into one of the examples--I'm on page 9. Of course, I'm assuming I was the only Larry associated with the project; there might have been others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mimi2 wrote:

- The Steel Ship cards have ships named after other famous European sea-side cities/ports and with their corresponding colours/flags hoisted, e.g. Amsterdam, Lissabohn (Lisbon). In particular, card no S12 - Steel Ship Triest has a twinned - Italy/Austria Flag hoisted, which I presume is a reference to the annexation of Triest from Austria-Hungary to Italy in 1920.

Lissa-bohn? Any Bohnanza reference besides this pun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EndersGame wrote:
This ship is clearly a reference to BGG user Melissa:

Because she has two kids? In a pot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanno Girke
Germany
Schwabenheim an der Selz
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mimi2 wrote:

- The Luxury Liners are named after persons - Andrea, Suzanne, and Doris. Possible suspects: Andrea Boekhoff, Susanne Rosenberg, Doris Matthäus?

One out of three is not too bad. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my game last night! Huzzah! Looking through cards one thing that may be a coincidence or not, is the tattoo on the arm of the Agricola Box dude a Tichu Dragon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Treacher
United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this for the first time yesterday, and noticed quite a few semi-hidden chuckles. Not the least was the effect/ability of the "Church" building (quite a late one to appear in the building piles).

Two fish and five loaves sound familiar to anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Scheer
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prodromoi wrote:
Played this for the first time yesterday, and noticed quite a few semi-hidden chuckles. Not the least was the effect/ability of the "Church" building (quite a late one to appear in the building piles).

Two fish and five loaves sound familiar to anyone?

Yup I had quite the chuckle when I saw that one too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
The best joke for me: Paid full retail of 70USD to support my local comic & game store, and when I get the game home, the board is in three separate frigging pieces. Har har.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
The best joke for me: Paid full retail of 70USD to support my local comic & game store, and when I get the game home, the board is in three separate frigging pieces. Har har.

Be happy, you paid only 70 bucks. With one single folded board the game might easily cost 80 or more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed that the crate Agricola is being carried in has a steel support in it in the shape of a "Z".

I wondered if that was a reference to Z-Man games being involved in the US release of the game ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no English edition of this game, nor a US edition. There is an Australian edition. I think one of the buildings is a dunny, and there are other Strain words, but my copy at home is still in shrink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.