badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monty Python Fluxx

Designer: Andrew Looney
Publisher: Looney Labs
Year: 2008
Players: 2-6
Ages: 8+
Playing Time: 10 – 40 minutes (but pray it never comes to this…)

The Idea
The original Fluxx is a very light hearted card game which revolves around the idea of constantly changing rules and victory conditions. This time round Fluxx has been flavoured with the classic British humour of Monty Python. Many would consider this a perfect match.

For this review I’m going to assume you know what Fluxx is and how to play it. If you don’t know Fluxx yet, you can check my review of Fluxx 3.0 by following the link below.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/334029

In the Box
In a departure from previous versions of Fluxx, the box for Monty Python Fluxx is a two part box rather than a tuck box. This has been a good change and makes for a nicer and safer storage box. It also has allowed for a bigger rules sheet.

The black & white rules sheet is double sided and covers the basic rules of Fluxx just fine. The only addition to the rules of regular Fluxx is the inclusion of “Creepers” (which were originally introduced in Zombie Fluxx). Basically Creepers are like Keepers but are played in front of you as soon as they are drawn. You then draw a replacement card. Generally speaking Creepers will prevent you from being able to win the game although there are some Goals which do require you to have Creepers.

The second side of the rules sheet has a bunch of Frequently Asked Questions which cover some situations that come up in Fluxx. Safe to say that this FAQ will also come with the forthcoming Fluxx 4.0.

Monty Python Fluxx has 97 cards in the usual varieties included in regular Fluxx. The cards for this edition seem to be a bit glossier than previous versions. The cards from sets I’ve seen have a bit of a warp to them which is a bit annoying. The break up of the card types is: 21 Keepers; 6 Creepers; 31 Goals; 21 Actions; 17 Rules; and 1 Basic Rules Card.

As expected all of the Keepers, Creepers and Goals are Monty Python themed. 10 of the actions are at least slightly themed. The most amusing for me required you to quote consecutive lines of Monty Python dialogue in order to play bonus cards. Of the 17 rules only 5 are vaguely themed. The rest are stock standard Fluxx rules. The more thematic of the rules are interesting though and involve singing and speaking in silly accents.

The majority of the theme is based on “The Holy Grail” movie with a bit of “Meaning of Life” and “Flying Circus” thrown in for good measure. The Keepers are a mixture of stuff like King Arthur, the Knights of the Round Table (including the very brave Sir Robin), a shrubbery, the finger of God, a flying cow and so on. Some of the Goal titles include “You Must Bring Us A Shrubbery”, “Squashed From Above” and “The Cheese Shop”. The Goals make sense and are well themed. The Creepers included are: “The Spanish Inquisition”, The Knights Who Say Ni!”, “Killer Rabbit (with nasty big pointy teeth)”, “3-Headed Giant”, “Grim Reaper” and the “Legendary Beast of Aaarrghh”. Every one of them is an iconic feature of Monty Python history dear to any fan’s heart.

How It Plays

Well, it’s Fluxx and really does play much the same way as the standard Fluxx. The game seems to finish up fairly quickly and not overstay its welcome. However the presence of Creepers can extend some games beyond what regular Fluxx would if you aren’t able to remove them. This can really drag out a game that really should be a short filler.

Who Would Like It
Well if you like Fluxx and Monty Python then this one is a no-brainer. You’ll probably find it a match made in heaven.

If you enjoy Fluxx but have absolutely no idea what this Monty Python thing is then I’d suggest you go out and watch “Monty Python and the Holy Grail” and “And Now For Something Completely Different”. If you can have a chuckle at them then you could fairly safely pick up Monty Python Fluxx.

If you’re a Monty Python fan who has never played Fluxx before then this could be a good introduction to Fluxx. The game and the theme really do suit each other and you’ll probably handle the silliness and randomness of Fluxx just fine.

Now for the tough one. Should you get this if you don’t particularly like Fluxx but you like Monty Python? As mentioned earlier it’s still Fluxx and the addition of Creepers may make it last longer than a game of regular Fluxx. If you think you could really get into the theme and could let your hair down with some silly accents and singing then maybe this is the version of Fluxx you could embrace in the silly spirit that is Monty Python. Having said that though it’d probably be safer to try someone else’s copy first (if you can be talked into it).

Above all though, your enjoyment of Monty Python Fluxx is going to come down to the group you play it with. If you have a group who love Monty Python and are regularly quoting lines on any given games night then you’ll probably get a lot of value out of this. But if your group don’t know Monty Python or they don’t really get the humour then you probably won’t have fun with this no matter how much you personally love it. Fluxx is very much a group experience.

Where to From Here?
As mentioned in my Fluxx review linked above there are a number of different Fluxx versions you could try.

At present the only other Monty Python themed game in print is Python-opoly (from Toy Vault Inc.) which, naturally enough, is a Monty Python themed version of Monopoly. If you like that sort of thing you could give it a shot.

If you search around you may be able to find a couple of older Monty Python themed games such as And Now For Something Completely Different... The Board Game which is a roll and move style children’s game pubished by Susan Prescot Games or the Monty Python and the Holy Grail CCG (from Kenzer & Company). These will may be hard to get hold of though but should be fairly cheap if you do find them.

If you enjoy Monty Python’s style of humour then you may enjoy some of the games published by Steve Jackson Games.

Finally (and this one’s a stretch I admit), if you enjoy Monty Python then there’s a reasonable chance that you’re also a fan of the movie “The Princess Bride”. If that’s the case you could try out The Princess Bride: Storming the Castle from Playroom Entertainment and Toy Vault Inc.

Yeah, not great recommendations this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review, thanks for sharing.

I will add this to my wish list, I am a big MP fan and love ( almost ) all games so I am sure it will be a perfect match!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hargraves
Australia
Morayfield
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hendal wrote:
Great review, thanks for sharing.

I will add this to my wish list, I am a big MP fan and love ( almost ) all games so I am sure it will be a perfect match!

Sounds like you'll get a kick out of this one. I hope you enjoy it!

And thanks for the comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heck I am even a Princess Bride fan - well really any movie with Andrea the Giant, but it was a great review - thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
origami freak
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I'm not a big fan of Fluxx, but this is the most palatable version I've tried. (The others being standard Fluxx and Zombie Fluxx - which is slightly more entertaining, 'cuz anything is better with Zombies.)

...As an alternative Python game, what I'd love to see is a Holy Grail version of Shadows over Camelot... (or would that be Spamalot? Anyway, you get what I mean)

EDIT: It turns out there ALREADY IS a Holy Grail re-theme of SoC! Oh, happy day!
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/323165
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hargraves
Australia
Morayfield
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
origamifreak wrote:
I'm not a big fan of Fluxx, but this is the most palatable version I've tried. (The others being standard Fluxx and Zombie Fluxx - which is slightly more entertaining, 'cuz anything is better with Zombies.)

...As an alternative Python game, what I'd love to see is a Holy Grail version of Shadows over Camelot... (or would that be Spamalot? Anyway, you get what I mean)

EDIT: It turns out there ALREADY IS a Holy Grail re-theme of SoC! Oh, happy day!
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/323165

Thanks for the comment and the reminder about the Shadows Over Camelot re-theme. I had previously downloaded it and never tried it. I should give it a crack sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j w
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I just got Monty Python Fluxx today, and I don't know if the newer versions have more cards or not, but i have 20 rules cards. All the other card numbers are the same though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gundamgrl wrote:
I just got Monty Python Fluxx today, and I don't know if the newer versions have more cards or not, but i have 20 rules cards. All the other card numbers are the same though.

Do you have all the other cards? You can check against the card list here: http://www.looneylabs.com/lists/monty-python-fluxx-card-list

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.