Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost every day, my two youngest daughters beg me to play a game with them after supper. Probably the game that they request the most is: Circus Flohcati. Now since my children don't speak German, unlike Dr Knizia, the chap who invented the game, we call it "Flea Circus". After all, that's what it's about, right? Your own flea circus!

As it happens, the fleas that come with the game don't speak German either. That is rather fortunate for us, because my children only speak English. Well, and a bit of French, they have grown up in Canada after all.

But let's just ignore the language debate for a moment, because these fleas are language independent. Granted, your average flea doesn't even know what it means to be "language independent". But hey, these are not your average fleas - these are smart fleas! They know what being "language independent" is all about. What's more, they know their numbers and their colours. Some of them even know how to tame lions, how to juggle, and how to breath fire!

But I don't want to steal my children's thunder. After all, you want to know what real children think about this game, right? I've played this many times with my four year old and six year old daughters, so I would consider them junior flea circus experts. And just for you, the loyal readers of BGG, I interviewed them to find out what they thought about the game.

Here is what they had to say, in their own words:

Q: Let's begin by introducing the ten different fleas that come with the flea circus game. Can you please tell us what they are called?

4yo: There's this guy, he's a ringmaster. This guy is a juggler. And this is a fire breather. And there's a cannon guy. This a clown. And this is a ... what shall I call it?
6yo: I don't exactly know what it's called.
A guy who levitates?
4yo: Yeah, a levitator. And this is an escape master.
6yo: No, an escape artist.
4yo: Then this brown guy is a lemon tater. No, he's not a lemon tater, that's the yellow one. What is he called again daddy?
A lion tamer?
4yo: Yeah. Now are those all the cards?
6yo: No, we haven't done the orange one.
4yo: This is an acrobat. And that is a knife thrower.

Q: Girls, how about we go through that a bit more slowly. I'll show the ten different coloured fleas, and I want you to identify each of them, and tell us something about them. (I hold up the cards as I show them)

Q. Yellow?
4yo: Firebreather. He blows fire. There is oil in there. He puts the oil on top of the stick, and it makes fire.

Q. Brown?
6yo: Lion Tamer. There is a lion flea that is going to jump through the hoop, and the hoop has fire on it, and the flea's arm is burning, like black, and it is really sort of, well he is sort of getting on fire. And that's all.

Q. Orange?
4yo: Acrobat. One guy is swinging. His feet are holding it. Another guy is swinging and his hands are holding it. One guy is flat on the ground. He fell.

Q. Red?
4yo: Rocket dude. He's in a cannon. He is going to fire out.

Q. Green?
6yo: Juggler. The knife looks like it is going to cut him. He's juggling, but he's dropping some, and he's blinded. He's juggling a ball, a axe, some toilet paper, a colorful apple, a bomb that's lighted up, and - Dad, what is that? Oh, a toilet plunger? - a toilet plunger, and a flower pot, and a fire stick. He dropped the flower pot and the fire stick.

Q. Blue?
6yo: Escape Artist. He is all tied up, and there is a little fishie watching him. (giggles hysterically)

Q. White?
4yo: Clown. One guy is blowing a trumpet. And the clown has a little hat, with little flower pot on his head. And the clown is stepping on the other guy's foot. The clown is also stepping on a can.

Q. Grey?
6yo: Knife Thrower. He is throwing knives beside the girl.
4yo: The girl stays there because something is sticking to her back, like tape.

Q. Lilac?
6yo: Levitator. There's a magic lamp, and it is sort of steaming, and the Levitator is going up, up, up.

Q. Indigo?
4yo: Ringmaster. He's teaching music. He is holding his little hat.

Q: Excellent girls! Now can you tell us about the three special cards in the game?

(from left to right)
4yo: This is a colour one. This one you can tell people what colour you want.
4yo: This is a pick one. This one means you can pick one out of someone's hand.

4yo: This one means you can flip until you get two the same colours, and then you have to pick one.

Q: How does the game work, and how do you win?
4yo: You have to get all different colours, and then you win, and you have to get sets.
6yo: You can get sets, and you flip the cards, and there's ten different colours, and if you get all of them then the game stops.

Q: How easy is Circus Flohcati to learn and play?
4yo: Very easy.
6yo: Yes, easy.

Q: So how do you get points?
6yo: By getting sets with the numbers, there's numbers on the cards
4yo: You want to get high sets, like 6s and 7s. 7 is the highest one that you can get.

Q: How many points did you get today?
4yo: I forget. 84?
6yo: No, I had 58. You had 57!

Q: What is the best way to get lots of points?
4yo: By getting very high numbers.
6yo: How I would get lots of points? Well, have high cards, and you get ten points if you have three the same.

Q: How much of the game is luck?
6yo: One quarter or so.

Q: What do you like most about the game?
4yo: The 7, because that is the highest card.
6yo: What I like about the game is the wilds, where you have to pick a card from someone else, or when you ask for a colour.

Q: What do you like least about the game?
4yo: The lowest cards, the zero. I don't like that, that's the part what I don't like about it.
6yo: I don't really like losing.

What is the most exciting part of this game?
6yo: When you win your first time.

What do you think about flipping over the cards? Is that ever exciting?
6yo: Yes, because you might flip over a 7 or a 6! Or one of the special cards, like one of the ones where you can ask a colour or keep on flipping.

Q: What are your favorite cards in the game?
4yo: The card where you can keep on flipping.
6yo: The juggler. No, the clown 7, because it's a high card, and because I like clowns.

Q: If you could add different cards to the game, what would you add?
4yo: An elephant, and a penguin.
What would they do?
4yo: The elephant would stomp when you place it, and it knocks other people out. The penguin, well he knocks people out, like this, waddle, waddle with his hands.
6yo: I would add a black colour, and the number would be 3, and it would be a magic guy.
4yo: I would add a elephant and a penguin and a koala and a dolphin and a siamese cat and a little monkey
6yo: You are just saying the Webkinz we have!

Q: How much should this game cost?
6yo: $1.84

Q: How old do you have to be to play Circus Flohcati?
4yo: I think four years old.
6yo: I think you have to be four.

Q: What would your friends think of this game?
4yo: It would be fun.
8yo: They would probably like it.

Q: What rating out of 10 would you give this game?
6yo: a 9

Q: What games do you think are worse than this one?
6yo: Memory. Chutes and Ladders.
Why do you like this better?
6yo: Because it's fun to play. Because it has cards with numbers on it and stuff, and you still get sets like with Memory, but sets with three. And you get points. With Chutes and Ladders you have a little guy and you only move, but with Flea Circus you can get points, and...yeah!

So there you have it folks! You heard it here on BGG first, directly from the mouth of the Junior Flea Circus Experts!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The complete list of Ender's "What children really think about..." reviews: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/37597
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice stuff. My kids like this one too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Australia
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another great review from your kids ;-)

I think the real reason that you're using your kids for these reviews is so you don't have to think of content for the reviews....but you've outsourced it to your kids...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Lange
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you store away all the GG you get for these reviews to give to them when they are old enough to have accounts on their own. Everything else would be stealing. :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EndersGame wrote:
Q: If you could add different cards to the game, what would you add?
4yo: An elephant, and a penguin.
What would they do?
4yo: The elephant would stomp when you place it, and it knocks other people out. The penguin, well he knocks people out, like this, waddle, waddle with his hands.
This is really precious, when you remember what she wanted added to Incan Gold. laugh

You'd better get some games with elephants and penguins, pronto, is what she's sayin'! cool
(Maybe Zooloretto with Aquaretto?)
I guess you could play Hey That's My Fish and add an elephant as the Killer Whale (variant).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, what happened to the "real" children - where did they go?

Don't you love all the sarcastic comments you get?

Nice review, and don't bother saving the GG for your children - I know the real work is in writing it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Roach
Canada
Brandon
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lemon tater, that`s hilarious, only something like that could come from a kid. love the review, cant wait for the ASL review to come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet another great review... bravo kids!!!! And man, they are prooving to us that while it is a Knizia, theme DOES matter! And they seem to love the theme of this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great, just got the new edition in today and found this review.

I noticed that there is a black card, and it is the Magician. I love Heiko's art, but is he really so cool that he made this choice just for your daughter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.