1 Posts

Go» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yehuda Berlinger
flag msg tools
Sam+, Jon

Sam joined us while I was playing Tikal, so I split into a parallel game of Go on a 9x9 board with him. Sam is a good Go player (not dan level yet, but whatever). I would like to influence our own members to learn Go, but also to influence him to other things. Still, I was nervous he would find other games silly.

Go is just a great game. Unlike chess, it is wide open, instead of narrow and focussed, so you can have good feelings about little battles. Chess requires massive memorizing of standard plays. Go requires recognizing different completion patterns, something much easier to acquire, and in fact, can be learned through experience relatively qickly. You're not going to win against the deep thinkers so quickly, but you can make progress. And Go has a natural built in handicap system which really works, so any two players can enjoy a game, no matter what their level.

Even with a 2 stone advantage on a 9x9 board, I quickly lost control of the center and edges, only keeping a single side of the board at the end.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.