Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan
United Kingdom
Worthing
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are available on Amazon, etc. They don’t look much fun at first glance, but don’t be disappointed on account of the lack of shiny bits and the very simple rules; we had great fun and agreed it seemed very 1970s (in a good way!).

In the first game, the Vikings advance slowly in the face of Welsh skirmishing archers, who weakened a few units but did no serious damage. On the Welsh left flank, the heavy cavalry charged off and engaged a unit of Bondi and a unit of Huscarls. Both were ground down eventually, but effectively took the cavalry out of the best part of the game. On the right flank, Welsh archers retreated up a hill and did a bit of skirmishing with Viking Thralls armed with javelins. Light infantry against each other didn’t do much damage, but kept them all busy. In the centre, the Welsh spears formed a shieldwall and awaited the Viking Huscarls and Bondi onslaught. When it came, the melee crashed on and on, and eventually the Welsh took out the Vikings, helped by their cavalry arriving at the very end of the game to take the remaining Vikings in the rear. It ‘felt’ like a good Dark Ages battle.

In the second game, we put a river across the middle, along with a big wood just in from the Welsh left flank. The Vikings move through woods easier than the Welsh, so the Welsh attempted to swing their front to straddle the river, taking up positions on hills beside the river, and allowing the Vikings to advance unopposed through the woods – to be met by archers when they emerged. This led to a massive clash in the centre between the wood and the river, and the Vikings benefited by having more heavy infantry. Across the river, the Welsh cavalry dallied a bit against some Bondi and Thralls on a hill, both sides grinding each other down somewhat. The Welsh archers didn’t get off as many volleys in this game, and at one point, one unfortunate Welsh archer unit had to step in to fight some Huscarls – resulting in a very swift defeat. The Vikings advanced some units off the Welsh baseline, meaning the Welsh had to withdraw units to counter this. It all ended in a rather ugly melee with the remaining Welsh shieldwalls being battered from all sides.

The games played like Warhammer Lite. And that, for me, is a good thing. Two games in three hours. And I was the Welsh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds cool, pictures would do a world of good for this one ( says the guy who has never owned a camera and has no clue how to upload a photo to a computer ). I have never heard of this, so I checked it out. Your it my man, the only geek writing about this one so far - so um excuse Sir but I feel it is your duty to the BBG to write more about it- seeing as you have the game and enjoy it.

What did you pay for yours?

Looks like something I could get my nephew.

thanks.

when you say available on amazon? Do you mean to buy I take it ( no free downloads yet )?

Sorry to have to ask , but what is a: Bondi and a unit of Huscarls

for us ignorant people
( i figure mercenaries for some reason )

OK I just have to add:

to take the remaining Vikings in the rear

And I always thought the vikings where the dirty buggers, not the welsh Dp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.