Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Andy,

I picked up Tomb Of Ice yesterday & had a good look through it. I also have Road To Legend, but have not yet played it, so bear that in mind when I talk about how much interaction ToI has with RtL...

If I remember correctly, ToI has:-

1 Rumour card
6 Overlord/Event RtL cards
4 RtL Dungeon cards
2 Outdoor map RtL cards
10 new monster RtL reference cards
lots more double-sided map pieces

That's what I can remember & I did think as well there didn't seem like a lot of extra RtL goodies, but it looks good.

Matt...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Burns
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Matt, where did you get it from and how much did you pay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From Heron Games (www.herongames.co.uk)for £36!!! shake blush

A big increase due to the £/$ drop & FFG putting their prices up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indygnome wrote:
...the fact there are only 4 of them confirms one of my earlier worries.

No problem. It did seem like more of a stand-alone expansion than adding significantly to RtL from my first look at the contents. I did wonder potentially if FFG wanted to get these new beasts plus stand-alone quests released first for anyone who doesn't have RtL yet & that they may release a smaller RtL card expansion in the future to incorporate more of the other three expansions so far?

Matt...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget the feat cards!

I believe the FEAT cards will make it a bit easier for the heroes because they always pick one up as soon as they activate a glyph. And there are 51 of them.

I will corporate the new expansion into my campaign where I am the overlord and my friend the heroes.

We will continue the campaign (we hit gold recently) in two weeks time. Can't wait for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Anderson
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
Indygnome wrote:
Thanks Matt, I think we need somebody who has actually played it. The monster reference cards wont be of much use if the Dungeon cards don't come up so the fact there are only 4 of them confirms one of my earlier worries.

Well, I've got ToI and RtL, but haven't actually played them together yet - my copy of ToI only arrived this morning.

Don't forget, in the average RtL campaign you'll go through the entire dungeon deck and have to reshuffle (assuming you don't reshuffle after each level, as we don't).

That means that even though only about 10% of the dungeons will have ToI monsters, you are pretty much guaranteed to go through all those levels in each campaign.

Also, don't forget that you can spawn ToI monsters in non-ToI levels.

My main worry is that in our campaigns the heroes usually do very well, and we haven't yet had an overlord victory. With the addition of Feats and the Stealth Potion, I'm afraid it will tip things even more in the players' favour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are cards that get added to the basic OL deck allowing you to spawn ToI monsters, plus of course three different varieties of cards to add into a "tuned" OL deck - so you could use quite a few ToI bits if you wanted to.

I'm still hopeful that they will produce at least one mini-expansion, like with Arkham, that adds options and possibilities to RtL. Though I've yet to play anything more than a single RtL level so far, and haven't got close to setting up a campaign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B G R
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'd rather see more expansions to the base Descent that are compatible with RTL (costing $75Aud) with monsters, cards, map bits etc useful for 2 games - than a card expansion to an expansion which will cost $45Aud (aka the same as the Arkham card expansions) & include 1/10th of the content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Hill
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This expansion looks like it has as much affect on the game as the other expansions. Sure, the overlord could choose different monster set ups on each of the dungeon levels, but how much did that really do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Henage
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There's also the new shop items (including the stealth potion) and the new treasures, all of which will see use. However, more help for the heroes doesn't sound like what the OP was looking for....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.