Hide
21 Posts

Plague & Pestilence» Forums » General

Subject: Plague & Pestilence: How many editions/printings do exist? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: editions [+] [View All]
first last
msg tools
Last month, through the reviews on BGG, I discovered "Plague & Pestilence" and to my immense luck almost immediately found and won a used copy on ebay.

It's the Chessex version with the rounded corners. I guess that would be considered the second edition, right?
And the blurb card identifies it as a third printing, copyright 1999.

So does that mean that there are two editions and a total of five different versions of the game? 1st and 2nd printing by Hillary's Toy Box, plus 1st, 2nd and 3rd printing by Chessex Manufacturing, LLC?

Are there more?

My copy came in a standard plastic container (no stickers), but I would think Chessex sold it in a cardboard box. So I think I'll have to book that as a major flaw. *shrugs*
On the other hand, it also came with the xerox-style booklet known from the Hillary's Toy Box Edition. So a newbie like me could believe Chessex may have gone back to the old format?!?

But that's only wishful thinking, right?

Oh and: Have other printings, outside of the very first, been limited?

Thanks for your indulgence
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmb
Out of the five copies I have own, what you describe seems accurate. Although, as far as I know only the Hilary's Toy Box edition came in the plastic container. I have seen both versions, and the major difference is the packaging and the card stock. The Chessex versions usually look like this:

And the Hillary's Toy Box looked like this:

The rounded card corners are also a good indication that you have a second printing of the Chessex version. The card stock on the HTB version is more glossy as well.

I hope this helps.

LA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
first last
msg tools
Yes, thanks!

I'm sure now that the seller tried her/his best to make it look like the rare and much sought after edition. If it weren't for the rounded corners and the blurb card saying "third printing" my purchase would look exactly like in the second picture you posted, including the green Death DiceTM. Good I won it for cheap
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lewis
United States
Royal Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You probably beat me out for this game!

Good on you! I can only hope I get as lucky in the near future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tray Green
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
OK - the definitive answer.

3 Editions, 2 Hillary's Toybox, 1 Hillary's Toybox/Chessex

1st Edition was in a plastic box with a paper "topper" glued into the top of the box. We ran 500 copies just to see if they would sell. Printed in 1992 and sold through just prior to Origins the following June/July. To get one of these you had to be in So Cal or VERY lucky - if you want to look at it that way. Of the 500, the guy that did the artwork - Paul Dale - numbered and signed 50 of them for us... I may still have one of those, but as he has not done anything to make himself "collectible", the value of one of these signed copies is nominal. In addition, the credits card thanked about 6 people that had helped with getting the game ready to print.

2nd Ed was as 1st ed - we trimmed the "Thank you" text from the "about us" card and went to a vinyl label. We printed about 4k of these and sold out in a year or so. We also went to UV coating n the cards - a change from the water based coating of the 1st Ed.

3rd Ed was published in partnership with Chessex in 1998 in order to facilitate their effort to buy the product from us. Shortly after that print run sold out, we transferred the rights to Chessex for great big bags o cash ... ok maybe not GREAT BIG....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
first last
msg tools
Cool! Thanks a lot for that!

So the 3rd Edition produced in partnership with Chessex was the 1st Printing with rounded corners? And then Chessex had another two print runs... I'm still trying to figure things out here...

Meanwhile, I also asked Chessex what they could tell me about the individual print runs (features? numbers?) of the game and their reply was, quote:

"We have made 5,000 total."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tray Green
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
3 runs printed total.

The "Chessex run" was one I printed (the 3rd printing). If you have one of the boxes (square black chipboard) you will see both the Hillary's Toy Box and the Chessex logos. Yes it was the only one with rounded corners and the print run was 5k. The distribution was split between myself and Chessex. To the best of my knowelge they have not produced any games.

so...
HTB - Plastic/square corner/paper label in box/waterbased coating
HTB - Plastic/square corner/vinyl label in box/UV coating
HTN/Chessex - Cardboard box/round corner/waterbased coating

that should be all ever produced... so far.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
first last
msg tools
blush Oh my, I really had to think about that for a while before it dawned on me. blush

"Edition" and "Printing" are identical words here!

I want to apologize, in case my thickness caused confusion for others:

The third edition is identified as "third printing", even if the first and only batch produced (printed) could also be considered the 1st printing OF THAT EDITION!

Duh! My bad! I just didn't get it.

So, basically, sellers offering the third edition/printing (the one with Chessex involved) in a small plastic box and "original shrink wrap"(!) are simply being dishonest, right? In truth a copy like that is missing the original black cardboard box and is not very collectible.
And here I was, worrying if I had fallen for a pirated copy. yuk

Thanks again for your kindness!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Marsh
United States
Ammon
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When can we see this game for sale again???????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tray Green
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Going to talk to Chessex about that soon...
arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Curran
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Woot!! I have a 1st Edition!! I didn't even know it's value. Then again I will never sell it so it's monetary value means nothing to me.

Fun little filler game with a dark theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just recieved my first copy in today. I paid a guy in Calif. $5(plus shipping) and I find it's a 1st print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is there any diffrence in the thickness of the card tock itself between the 3 editions? I just recieved a 1st print of the game, and if the 3rd edition cardstock is thicker(similar to what U.S. Playing Card Co. uses for their poker decks), I'll have to hunt one down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Radford
United Kingdom
Brentwood
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok - Now I'm confused.

traygreen wrote:
3 runs printed total.
so...
HTB - Plastic/square corner/paper label in box/waterbased coating
HTB - Plastic/square corner/vinyl label in box/UV coating
HTN/Chessex - Cardboard box/round corner/waterbased coating

I have a Plastic box, sealed. Green Dice. On the bottom it says "Hillary's Toy box & Chessex Manufacturing, LLC" and Third Printing.

Looking at your list above, its none of those........
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
first last
msg tools
Seems you have just the same version I have: A re-packed third Edition.

Though I also still suspect that there could be fake "pirated" copies on the market, I wonder how come they all have green dice when they originally (that is when shipped in the cardboard box) seem to have come with red dice?!?!?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
johny uffels
Netherlands
zwolle
flag msg tools
which one is the best/nicest to buy ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I have one that is by Hillary Toys but I can't tell if it's the 1st or 2nd ed. The instructions have a copyright of 1993, so would this be 2nd edition since 1st edition came out in 1992?

Also, it doesn't have any dice...what are the dice so I could attempt to create my own?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Paradise
United States
Glassboro
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
belial1134 wrote:
I have one that is by Hillary Toys but I can't tell if it's the 1st or 2nd ed. The instructions have a copyright of 1993, so would this be 2nd edition since 1st edition came out in 1992?

Also, it doesn't have any dice...what are the dice so I could attempt to create my own?

The dice are just 2 normal 6 sided die, only the one is represented by a skull.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
gameguru wrote:
belial1134 wrote:

Thanks. I knew one side had a skull and thought maybe there were other icons on other sides. Now to see if I can figure out which edition it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
belial1134 wrote:
gameguru wrote:
belial1134 wrote:

Thanks. I knew one side had a skull and thought maybe there were other icons on other sides. Now to see if I can figure out which edition it is.

Flying Buffalo makes the "Death Dice". It is about halfway down this page:
http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/dice.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alistair Hutton
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Norbert Cortez wrote:
Seems you have just the same version I have: A re-packed third Edition.

Though I also still suspect that there could be fake "pirated" copies on the market, I wonder how come they all have green dice when they originally (that is when shipped in the cardboard box) seem to have come with red dice?!?!?!

So I've got something similar. Plastic Box, Green Dice. Rounded Corner Cards.

The Attribution Card says :

Hillary's Toy Box
& Chessex Manufacturing, LLC
Copyright 1993,1999
Third Printing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.