Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mathieu Lemire
Canada
Ottawa/Hull
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear all,

My girlfriend and I are into boardgames a lot. Sometimes, we play with her parents and her sister that are non-gamers. So far, we have introduced them a few games: Ticket to Ride, Aquaretto and Bohnanza. Of all three, Bohnanza seem to be the most popular one.

One reason, I think, is that each player is always involved in the game.

During the holiday season, we will spend two full days with them and we are thinking of playing some games. I would really like to introduce them a new game that they would like and that has a similar level (and even feel) to Bohnanza.

My criterias are the following:

- Fun
- High replayability
- Easy to explain
- Scales well from 2 to 6

I have tried also tried the games For Sale and Incan Gold. I thought of trying Citadels but I think that it may be a little bit to complicated for them.

My question is, do you have any suggestions ?

(I thought of Witch's Brew but read that it did not have a high replayability)

Thank you in advance for your help.

Ravel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bianca G
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Come to the dark side - we have cookieees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Diamant is good fun, explained in 5 minutes and language independent.
The Downfall of Pompeii is great, too. We introduced that to non-playing friends who asked as to take out "the vulcano game" again.
Space Beans is another option if your family already got hooked with the bean imperium.
Mexican Train was our winner last Christmas. Good fun, simple to learn and playable with people even after 2 glasses of wine.

Hope that helps

cookieee (who will be in the same situation)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Razzia!
High Society
Scream Machine

Are a few good ones that fit your requirements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oltre Mare might be a good choice. It only handles up to 5, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken F
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Liar's Dice is fun for a large group and easy to explain.
No Thanks! is limited to five players, but is so much fun.
Slide 5 aka Category 5/6 Nimmt! is a blast with the right group and handles up to 10
Cloud 9 is great fun, especially if you use the original FX Schmid rules (can be found in the files section).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the Boss is a good game for 6 and has a level of interaction similar to Bohnanza.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Forhan
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Dilbert: Corporate Shuffle, Loot, and BANG! might be good choices. I find that Corporate Shuffle is very easy to teach, in particular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blaise Cédric
France
Claye Souilly
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oltre mare !

It's better than Bohnanza and for me it's Bonhanza with a board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Webb
United States
Verona
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Let's Go Pens!
badge
One more win...Beat the Sharks!
mbmbmbmbmb
cookieeemonster wrote:
Space Beans is another option if your family already got hooked with the bean imperium.

I too have to give a big thumbs up to Space Beans. I actually like it better than Bohnanza. Also, High Bohn Plus is a combination of two good expansions for Bohnanza. So you can build off of what they know and change it in a couple of different ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might try Elfenland and/or TransAmerica...they both scale from 2 to 6, although I think both games are probably better with 4 or more...

And while it does not cover 6 players, Fairy Tale scales very well for 2 to 5...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhonda Bender
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nottingham is one I often like for an audience like you describe. You can go with a brief description to begin then have the experienced gamer kind of act as an emcee and remind the active player what their options are. Several of those options involve the other players bidding or exchanging cards, so it has some of that element you mentioned of being engaged in other people's turns.

It does fail in one respect that you requested in that you can't play it with only 2 players, but it scales nicely from the 3-7 that it does play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.