Dana R.
United States
Claremont
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Devotium Popcornicus
mbmbmbmbmb
So I go to Staples and have my Santa gift all ready to go....First thing they tell me is the system is down and they can't ship today as they don't expect it to be fixed by end of day. No problem I tell her and plan to go to the UPS store but she tells me I can't do because they are closed on Black Friday.

Ok....So I ask if they can give me an estimate on the shipping charges anyway. Can do she tells me but I need to open the nicely packaged box and pull everything out as everything has to be measured and weighed seperately. No problem I say as she informs me she will package it back up as it was.

Now I tell her I have wrapped Christmas gifts in there and she tells me I have to unwrap all to show what I have, ok getting a little ticked off now but say OK we'll do that I'll just re-wrap there the best I can.

Then I tell her they are store bought and in plastic and now I am ripped as she tells me I have to open all boxes to show her what is in there?!?

In questioning her she was obviously not well informed of all the international practices as she couldn't state positively that ANY of the above had to be done. I asked the nice young lady if she would please find out the facts to shipping oversea's and I'd be back tomorrow.

So question...am I getting shafted in all this?? Is this normal practice for shipping overseas?? If so My Secret Santa dude is basically getting an opened package-hell I may as well play it before I send it out-Ok just kidding there.

So...what you all say??

And Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Miller
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd ask to speak to her superior.

(FYI: they never make me do any of that at my Staples.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
USPS is best for international shipping. Hopefully your package is light (under 2kg, I think) because it becomes far costlier if you are over the limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What the hell? Are you shipping the items individually? No. So what possible reason is there to take everything out of the box you're sending?

Sounds like a bozo new hire at seasonal time. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny Osborn
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mb
That's insane! The young woman must have confused herself with a customs employee at the border. Go with USPS but be aware that the 5 - 10 days for standard service may be delayed due to the time of year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
First - UPS Stores may or may not be closed today. I work at one, and we were most definately open. They are individually owned and operated, I would not listen to a Staples employee for their competition's hours.

Second - UPS and Fedex and DHL are expensive to ship overseas, they only have expeditied options. USPS is cheaper, but slower and impossible to track once it leaves the country, at least for the most part.

Third - For customs, we are recommended to look at items to make sure customs forms are filled out properly, but not at all required.

Fourth - We recommend not wrapping gifts going overseas, just because it makes life easier for customs, which means less trouble. Again, not required, just recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana R.
United States
Claremont
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Devotium Popcornicus
mbmbmbmbmb
Well thanks all for the advise. I'll take to USPS tomorrow and see what they can do and yes it over 2k I am afraid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.

With growing amazement I read your post.

The person has no business with what you are sending. This falls under privacy right.
Pretty strange since you could ship drugs that way isn't it?

I left my package open so I could show what was inside to the employee at the post office and he explained that to me. He used a wrong tarif however... angry

Anyway you could have refused to open the box filled with games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.